Chapter 16: Good Intentions

Yes, Your Highness

I decided that telling Kai would not be a good idea. He’d freak out if he knew how badly I was hurt. The best thing to do would be to work through my pain. I went down to the dining room and got ready for everyone to arrive. They all came in and sat down and I got to work. I took care to not use my bad arm very much and no one seemed to notice a difference. Kai kept looking up at me worriedly, but I just smiled. After dinner, Sarah suggested that they all go see a movie. Everyone nodded their heads and Catherine and Sarah went to get their jackets, leaving me alone with Sehun and Kai.

 

“Melody. What did the doctor say?” Kai asked.

 

I stopped picking up dishes and quickly thought up a lie. “Oh, it’s nothing really. Just a simple pulled muscle. I’m just fine.” I said.

 

Quickly, he appeared beside me. “Baby, I’ve never seen anyone in pain like that before over a pulled muscle.” He said softly.

 

“Really, your Highness. It’s nothing. Please don’t worry. Enjoy your movie.” I said before quickly disappearing into the kitchen. I listened through the doorway for sounds of their leaving and finally relaxed. I had a few hours of nothing to do and I could go put my arm up in the sling. I went up to my room, put on my sling, and took some medicine for the pain. Suddenly, Ginny appeared in the doorway.

 

“What did you do???” She asked running over to me.

 

“It’s nothing, Gin. I just…” I stalled not wanting to tell her the truth.

 

“She just dislocated her shoulder and won’t tell anybody.” Taemin said from the door.

 

I quickly turned around. “Tae! How on earth do you know?” I asked seethingly.

 

“I overheard you talking with the doctor before he left. YOU should be resting, but instead your working.” Tae said sitting on my bed.

 

“Look. The two of you can’t tell anyone. Especially not Kai. He’ll flip. He’ll…”

 

“He’ll make sure you get adequate rest and that your arm heals properly.” Tae said.

 

“But then, Sarah will find out that he cares for me and…” i said interjectedly.

 

“Then she will find out your little secret that the two of you have secretly been dating.” Ginny said joining him on the bed.

 

“Well yes, and that…” I tried speaking again.

 

“Can’t happen because everyone will find out and his parents might not approve.” Tae said rolling his eyes.

 

“Right! And I can’t let that happen because” I said.

 

“You need the money to take care of your family. But you also need Kai.” Ginny said smiling at Tae.

 

I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off entirely. “You need Kai like humans need air, but you think Kai doesn’t need you.” Taemin said looking at Ginny.

 

“But in reality, Kai needs you more than flowers need water and he loves you more than life itself.” Ginny said while nodding.

 

“And if you do not tell him that you lied about your condition, he’s going to feel more hurt than you do with that dislocated shoulder.” Taemin said.

 

“Yeah! And then you’ll just drive him into Sarah’s arms and you will lose him.” Ginny said with a wink to Taemin. They both looked over at me and saw that I was in tears. Ginny got up and gave me a hug.

 

“You have to tell him, Mel.” She said encouragingly. I nodded and she and Tae left. A few hours later I saw the couples pull up in the car. I hurriedly took off my sling and ran downstairs to open the door.

 

“Oh Jongin! I’ve never had so much fun at a movie before.” Sarah said gushing over him. Sehun and Catherine just rolled their eyes. Sarah took one look at me and made a disgusted face. “Eww. Before you come see us, couldn’t you have at least done your hair or something? You look awful. I’m going to bed.” She turned up her nose and then went upstairs. “Goodnight Jongin! I’ll see you in the morning!”

 

I looked down to the side and Catherine was the first to speak once she was out of ear-shot. “Don’t listen to her Mel. She’s an idiot.”

 

"Yeah. All she could do during the movie was comment on people’s outfit choices.” Sehun said.

 

“Clearly she doesn’t understand that there’s this thing called ‘Wardrobe’ that picks them out.” Kai said with a laugh.

 

I stifled a small laugh and looked up into their eyes. Telling them the truth about my condition was going to be hard. I took in a deep breath. “May I speak with you all please?” I asked.

 

They all nodded and followed me into one of the drawing rooms. I motioned for them all to sit down. I watched as they all took a seat beside each other. Catherine grabbed Sehun’s hand and looked worried. Kai bit his lip and looked scared. Sehun was attempting to not show his emotions for Catherine’s sake and just looked at me.

 

“I have an announcement to make.” I said taking in a deep breath. I looked into each of their eyes before continuing. “I lied.”

 

Catherine and Sehun let out a relieved sigh, but Kai still looked scared.

 

“About what?” He asked.

 

I looked down and then looked back up. “I didn’t simply pull a muscle. I’ve dislocated my shoulder.” 3 pairs of wide eyes looked up at me. “I’m supposed to keep it in a sling and take pain medication as needed.” I breathed. “And I’m not supposed to lift anything.” Immediately, Catherine rolled her eyes and shook her head. Sehun smiled a little, but Kai hadn’t changed expressions. “But I promise that I won’t let this interfere with my work. I’ll still lift everything as usual and I’ll require no special treatment.”

At this point Catherine laughed. “Oh no, you will not.”

 

Sehun joined her and said, “You’re not lifting a finger with us around.”

 

“You lied to me?” Kai said quietly.

 

Catherine stood up. “You will keep your arm in that sling and take your pain medication as ordered.”

 

Sehun then stood up beside her. “You will not lift anything that we deem too heavy for you and you will rest whether you need it or not.”

 

“You lied to me.” Kai said to himself once more.

 

“You will also report to us on how you are feeling throughout the day.” Catherine said.

 

“You work too hard. You need a break or this will only get worse.” Sehun said.

 

“YOU. LIED.” Kai said louder shaking his head.

 

Catherine and Sehun looked down at Kai in disbelief. “The love of your life tells you that she is seriously injured and you focus on the lie?” Catherine said.

 

Kai stood up. “She’s seriously injured?” He quickly stood up and walked over next to me. “What happened?” Catherine and Sehun just groaned and shook their heads.

 

“You didn’t hear any of that?” I asked quietly.

 

“Sorry, no. All i heard was ‘I lied.’... It’s not like you to lie to me. Can you tell me once more?” Kai said with concern on his face.

 

“I dislocated my shoulder. It’s serious. I’m supposed to wear a sling and take medication. If I don’t, I will need surgery.” I said quietly.

 

Kai’s mouth dropped open and Catherine started on her rampage again. “YOU WERE GOING TO WORK? WITH SURGERY ON THE LINE? Are you crazy? Do you know what kind of damage could occur? Surgery could not completely fix it.” Sehun simply nodded in agreement.

 

Kai turned to them. “Do you guys mind giving us a few minutes alone?” He asked. Catherine and Sehun left with Catherine still going on about how crazy I was acting. Kai sat down and motioned for me to sit next to him. “Why didn’t you tell me the truth when I asked?” He said quietly.

 

“I was afraid. Afraid of what you might think and how you would treat me. I didn’t want you worried about me. Then Sarah will find out and our secret will be exposed. Then I’ll get fired because your parents won’t approve…” I started babbling and Kai just looked at me lovingly.

 

When I stopped to breathe, he smiled. “I love you.”

 

His words took my breath away and I looked at him stunned. “How.. How could you say that? I lied to you. I didn’t tell you.”

 

He just smiled and leaned a little bit closer to me. “ I still love you and I’m going to take care of you.”

 

“But what about Sa-” I tried to finish my sentence but was cut off by him leaning in closer. Our lips were almost touching.

 

“All that matters is getting you back to good health and I’ll do whatever it takes.” He said with a smirk.

 

“But she… I…” I don’t think I can ever form a full sentence with him this close to me.

 

“I’ll. Do. Whatever. It. Takes.” He said once more. I bit my lip and nodded.

 

He pulled back from me and said, “Good. You let me handle her, but first, what do you need right now?” He asked.

 

“I don’t…” I was cut off by him putting up his hand.

 

“What do you need?” He asked.

 

I bit my lip and looked down. “I need you to kiss me.” I said quietly.

 

“What was that?” He asked leaning a little bit closer.

 

“I need you to kiss me.” I said looking down. When I looked back up, he was right in front of me again.

 

“One more time?” He asked with a smirk.

 

“Shut up.” I said closing in the gap between us.

 

After our kiss, Kai smiled. "Feel better?" He asked. I blushed and nodded. "Good. Now you go upstairs and put on your sling."

"But..." I started to protest when he cut me off. 

"No. No buts. You. Upstairs. Sling. Rest." He said pointing upstairs. 

"Yes, your Highness. Is there anything else I can do for you?" I asked sweetly.

"You can get better." Kai said staring at my shoulder. "I want you better. I'm already worried about you enough." 

I walked over to where he was standing and kissed his cheek. "I'm going to be fine. Don't worry." I said with a small smile. "I'm..." I couldn't say that I'm going to take it easy because I know I'm not. "I'll do my best, Kai."

The thing I knew he was staring at me intently. "Do you promise?" He asked. I nodded and he gave me a weak smile. "Then get up to your room." I nodded, kissed him again, and went upstairs.

As I approached my room, I heard a noise from inside. I stopped to listen and heard Catherine still rampaging. I moved towards my door to get a better look.  "I don't get it. Who does this? Works through a serious injury? I don't get it. She's acting like an idiot!" I saw Sehun stifle a laugh. "What on Earth are you laughing about?" She yelled.

Sehun simply just shook his head and said, "You're so cute when you're mad."

"Cute? Cute! Well I'm about to become gorgeous then!" Catherine said still yelling as she fluffed one of my pillows.

"You've always been gorgeous to me." Sehun said helping her make my bed. This stopped her in her tracks. Slowly she looked over at him and then continued making the bed. After they were done, he walked around the bed and sat down next to where she was standing. "Cat, I'm sorry." He said apologetically looking up at her. She couldn't look at him and decided to walk towards my window, saying nothing. "Catherine, please look at me." She didn't move. "Ok well if you won't look at me, will you listen?" Still no response. He got up and walked over to her but gave her some space. "What I did was wrong. I know that, but I promise you I had good intentions."

"Some good intention. You ruined my relationship." She said not moving from her spot.

"I did it for us!" He said. She scoffed and he continued. "What was I supposed to do when I felt that strongly? Sit back? Let another guy have you?" She didn't say anything. "Watching you with him was torture. I knew from the moment we met that we were supposed to be together." She still didn't speak to him but she did roll her eyes! He was getting somewhere. I think. "I don't regret it. I'm sorry things happened the way they did, but I won't regret it."

At this point, she whirled around and slapped him. He stared at her slightly in shock but also slightly happy to see her respond. "You should have done what anyone else would have. Wait. IF you had waited and IF us being together were fate, it would have happened on its own. You didn't need to rush the process!" She said fuming. 

Sehun looked down and then looked back up at her. "You don't believe that our being together is fate?" He said with utter sadness.

"I... I..." Catherine seemed at a loss for words. They stood there in silence for a few moments. 

"Because I do." Sehun said matter of factly. 

Catherine took in a sharp breath and looked down at her hand. "I can't believe I slapped you."

Sehun shook his head. "No. We aren't changing subjects. Catherine, we are meant to be and I know it." She turned her head away and refused to look at him, but he stayed strong. "I did what it took to get what I wanted. I wanted... I want you. I want to be with you. We were- are in love! You can't possibly tell me that you have ever felt like this same way for someone else!" She didn't speak but I could tell she was going to cry. "Cat, I didn't want to hurt you. I just wanted you to see the truth."

She took in a deep breath. "What would that be?" She said holding back her tears.

"That there's a man so hopelessly in love with you that he'd do anything to get your attention. Even if it's something reckless." Sehun said.

Finally, she looked at him. "You had my attention." She said quietly. 

Sehun smiled a little. "But I didn't have you." Catherine smiled a little. "Look at us now, Catherine. A year later and I'm still the same guy. Nothing about me has changed. Well except for one thing."

"What's that?" Catherine said.

"I know what it's like to have you and be this close to losing you." He said quietly. He got closer to her. "I don't want to lose you, Cat. I love you." She looked up at him and he wrapped his arms around her. She said something I couldn't hear and he leaned in and kissed her. I decided not to watch and moved from my spot at the door. As I got up, I bumped into someone.

"Oh, I'm..." I was cut off by Kai kissing me. 

"You're supposed to be in your room." He said.

"I can't. Sehun and Catherine are making up." I said quietly. He looked through the door and smiled.

"He has the right idea." Kai said smirking. In one swift motion, he lightly pinned me to the wall and started kissing me. "Being away from you is hard." Kai said in between kisses. I opened my mouth to protest, but was quickly cut off by his lips. He stopped to take a breath and just stared at me. 

"What's wrong?" I asked breathlessly. 

"He's been wanting to do that all night, but you haven't been with him." Catherine said coming out of the door holding Sehun's hand.

"Yeah Melody. He suffered big time." Sehun said with a laugh.

Kai was going to speak but I spoke first. "Not as much as you two have been lately. Enjoy your make up?" I asked with a knowing smile.

Catherine blushed and Sehun said, "Yes, we did. And while we were in there, we also made your room comfortable for you."

"Yeah! You're welcome!" Catherine said. "Come on Hunnie. She needs her rest."

Kai and I watched as they walked away holding each other and I simply sighed. "That was one of the sweetest things I have ever watched." I said walking into my room.  

"Hi. My name is Kai. I love you. What am I now? Chopped liver?" He said rolling his eyes. 

"No." I said giggling. "You're the sweetest guy I know." I gave him a quick kiss and helped me put on my sling. 

"As long as you remember." He said kissing my cheek. Since I was already in my pajamas, he helped me get into bed. He handed me my medicine and sat down beside me. "You rest. I'll tell Sarah that your off her service. You just sleep." 

"But Kai! I have to work. I was assigned to her." I said. "Please I'll be fine. I won't push it. I'll do my best. I'll wear my sling all day. Ok?" 

Kai sighed. "You're lucky I love you. You wear it all day but report periodically to the three of us on how you're feeling. You take breaks. You know what a break is?" He asked. I nodded and he went on. "Good... I don't want you getting hurt." He said sweetly.

"I'll be fine. I promise. I'll do everything you say." I said with a yawn. 

He smiled at me and said, "Goodnight Melody. I love you."

I smiled back and said, "I love you too but before you go can you do me one favor? Can you hand me Kaikai?" I pointed over to where the bear was sitting. All of a sudden, the actual Kai climbed on top of me.

"I'm right here." He said with a wink. 

"I mean the bear." I said with a giggle.

He leaned down and softly kissed me. "I'll get him." He was about to move when I pulled him back down with my good arm. I kissed him forcefully which he happily returned.

"I just wanted to make sure you remember my lips when you get up in the morning." I said with a small smile. 

"Baby, it's something I'll never forget." He said with a kiss. He got up handed me my bear and turned off the light. "Goodnight beautiful."

"Goodnight Kai." I said as I drifted off to sleep.