Chapter 12: Addiction

Yes, Your Highness

The clock chimed midnight and his birthday was officially over. "And it was the best birthday ever. But I'm not done celebrating yet." He said with a smirk as he closed the gap between us once more. 

I blushed deeply as the kiss ended and looked towards the castle. "So you're officially 21. How does it feel?" I asked.

"It feels kind of like I can do anything." He said sitting down on the ground. 

"But you're choosing to sit on the ground?" I asked sitting beside him.

"I'm choosing to sit with you." He said sweetly.

I laid my head on his shoulder as we sat there. "Kai..." I said with my voice trailing off.

"Yes?" He responded.

"Is there any hope for us?" I asked.

He turned to look at me and I got off his shoulder. He bit his lip and took in a deep breath. "I want there to be." He said quietly. "I have to talk to my parents. There's only one thing I know though."

"What's that?" I asked sadly.

He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close. "You're the only person who has ever made me feel this way. My heart skips a beat  when I hear your name. It speeds up when you're in the same room as me, but when I hold you or you hold me, it starts slowing down. If this isn't what true love feels like, then I don't want to love anyone else." He looked into my eyes before he spoke again and he placed my hand over his heart. "I'm addicted to the way you make me feel." 

I stared at my hand on his chest. I could feel his heart beating and all I could think was that I'm addicted too. I looked up into his eyes where he was pleading me to speak. I took in a breath and found courage to say what was on my mind. "Kai. I'm... I'm addicted to you. I'm addicted to everything about you. When I see you, all I want to do is be next to you. When I hear you speak, it stops my heart. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even beat or that I even breathe. Some days I'm curious if the whole world just stops when you say anything.. The sound of your heart beating is my favorite song. I could honestly listen all day." I took in a breath realizing I didn't breathe throughout that whole thing. 

I took in a few deep breaths and looked over at him. His eyes were sparkling and he was waiting for me to continue. "And when you look at me like that, I..." I stopped merely because I couldn't find the words for how mesmerized he made me. 

"You what?" He said bringing his face within a few inches of mine.

"I... I... I fall..." Dang. Speaking is hard when he does this. "I fall deeper in love with you and I can't think or breathe. And all I want to do right now is kiss you again because you're amazing and I love you. And you're really attractive. Did you know that? And those eyes of yours have me captivated and I don't ever want to blink." I blurted out hurriedly. 

I quickly clasped my hands over my mouth. I can't believe I just said that. He probably thinks I'm an idiot. I glanced up and he was still just as close to me. He picked me up and sat me in his lap. He leaned next to my ear and said, "So what's stopping you from kissing me right now?"

After feeling his hot breath on my neck, I felt paralyzed, but I knew I should speak. "Would you believe me if I told you I'm still scared?"

He gave me a small smile and said, "What scares you? Me?"

I nodded. "What if you don't want me to kiss you? You could break my heart in 10 seconds flat. And what if someone sees? Then we would be in all sorts of trouble." I said looking down at my hands in my lap.

He tilted my head up so that I was forced to look at him. "Three things." He said and I nodded. "One, I don't care who sees. I love you and it's about time everyone knows it. Two, your heart is safe with me. I can't say I'll never break it, but I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen." At this point, I was ready to cry. Tears started welling up in my eyes and he put our foreheads together. "Number three. I always want you to kiss me. I always want you." 

Impulsively, I pressed my lips against his like this was the last time I'd ever get to kiss him. I held him tightly and refused to loosen my grip. He held me just as tightly and kissed me back. I felt his tongue slide over my lips lightly and it made me tremble, which made him only hold me tighter. Slowly, I parted my lips to let him in. He smiled and began exploring my mouth with his tongue. 

He took his time and I wondered for a moment how many other girls he's kissed like this. The thought didn't last long thankfully. When it was my turn, I copied his motions exactly. 

When we broke away, all we could do was stare at each other. He spoke first. "I didn't know anything could be that amazing." He whispered.

I smiled at him and pecked his lips. "I love you, Prince Jongin."

He smiled back and said, "When you say my name, it sounds so much less dreadful." He pulled me in for another quick kiss. "I love you, my beautiful Melody." 

I giggled and kissed him again. "Let's just stay here." He whispered holding me tightly again. 

"I would if I could." I said running my fingers through his hair.

"No one would ever find us." He said nuzzling his head into my neck. 

"But you have a kingdom you'll have to run one day. They need you Kaikai." I said continuing to play with his hair, which made him yawn.

"I need you." He said sleepily.

"And you have me." I whispered. I planted a soft kiss on his head and then realized that he had indeed fallen asleep. I laid back on the ground taking him with me. I decided to let him rest. I'd wake him up soon enough.

I woke up to the sun barely peeking out through the trees. I yawned and bolted awake when I realized I didn't know where I was. I looked around and saw Kai sleeping on the ground next to me. He looked so peaceful and I didn't want to wake him. I knew though that we had to get back. If anyone knew we were gone, we were in big trouble. I leaned down next to his ear and said, "Time to get up your Highness." 

He barely stirred but grabbed me by the waist and pulled me down beside him. "Few more minutes, the kingdom can wait while the King is asleep." 

He must be dreaming. "And who is the King?" I asked sweetly.

"I am! Don't you know your own husband?" He said softly. Husband? That would make me the.... Oh goodness.

"And who am I?" I asked.

"Mel, don't even joke around. You're my wife, the Queen." He said. 

Yes. He's dreaming. It's kind of cute how he talks in his sleep. "Kaikai... Honey?" This was going to be fun.

"Yes, angel?" He replied.

"We're over. I'm leaving you." I said sternly.

He bolted up out of his dreamlike state and looked over at me. "I just had the worst dream." 

I giggled and told him about the trick I played on him. "I was talking in my sleep? Seriously? Whoa... Hey that was mean!" He exclaimed.

"Hehehehe. Sorry sweetie. I had to get you up somehow. We slept out here." I explained.

He looked around at his surroundings and said, "Oh. So we did." He kissed me and said, "A kiss would have been much sweeter and wouldn't have given me a heart attack. My heart is still beating fast!" 

I giggle and we got up. I looked at him and saw that he had some leaves and dirt on his clothes. I quickly brushed them off and he smirked. "If you wanted to touch my that badly, you could have just said so."

"Oh Kai! Your outfit was dirty!" I said scrunching up my nose.

"Sure it was!" He said with a laugh and we began walking back to the castle.

We walked hand in hand and I kept thinking that this was simply a dream. "Kaikai?" I asked.

"Yes?" He said.

"Can we keep us a secret for a little while longer?" I asked.

He stopped in his tracks and stared at me. I was afraid to say anything more so I only looked away. "Mel. It's about time they knew." He said slowly.

I breathed out an exaggerated sigh. "Why is it?"

"Because! I want them to know your mine. I want the whole kingdom to see!" He said exasperatedly. "Don't you want to hold hands like this in public?" 

"Well yes..." I said.

He pulled me in for a hug and said, "Don't you want to be able to hug me whenever you feel like it?"

"Well yes..." I said trying to continue.

He brought his lips down to mine and kissed me softly. "Don't you want to kiss me and make every girl wish it were them?" He said making me blush.

"I..." I said trying to find the words beneath my blushing. 

He simply laughed and kissed me again. "I love you. I want everyone to see us. I want every guy to be jealous because I got the most amazing girl in the world." Each sentence was ended with a kiss sweeter than the last.

"Kaikai..." I said trying to regain my thoughts. "I... I don't think every guy would be jealous." I said finally.

"Every guy at my party last night was." He said with a scoff.

"Kai! They were not! I only danced with one other guy! And he was your friend!" I said trying to explain.

"You didn't see the way they looked at you when you were dancing with me. I did. I know that look." He said.

"Which look is that, your Highness?" I asked.

"It's the same look I get whenever you're in the room. The look of pure longing." He said biting his lip.

"And what is it you long for?" I replied.

"You." He said before pushing his lips against mine slowly. "Being with you is all I want." He said in midkiss. "Please let me tell them." He said ending the kiss softly.

"Kai, are you sure?" I asked in a scared tone.

He kissed me on the cheek and said, "I'm positive. It's about time I started making important decisions and telling my parents about us is at the top of the list."

I nodded and smiled and we kept on walking. When we got to the castle, we parted ways and got ready for the day. I went to check on Catherine but found her still in bed asleep. I decided to let her sleep in. When I got down to the kitchen, I was not prepared for what I heard next.  

"So Jongin, we have good news." Said the King.

"Yes! You're going to love this. Guess what?" The Queen said.

"I have my own news to announce but I don't know. What?" Kai asked.

"Princess Sarah is coming to stay for a week!" They said with delight. 

Kai's mouth dropped open and I almost dropped my bowl. "Why would Sarah be coming?" He asked.

"Oh silly! Like you don't know! We saw how the two of you were last night." The Queen said with a wink.

"What? You saw me get annoyed and try to leave her be? But all she did was hang around me?" Kai replied.

"Now son, no need to take that tone. Marrying her would mean that trade between our kingdoms would be solidified. Sarah has always had a thing for you and honestly we thought this time, you might feel the same way." Said the King.

"No, Dad. Last night, there was only one girl on my mind. The girl I first danced with." Kai said with finality.

"Who is she anyways?" The Queen asked. "Getting you to start the first dance is usually like pulling teeth."

I held my breath and watched Kai. "She was worth it." Kai said smiling while thinking about last night.

His parents looked at each other with a shocked expression. "Regardless of your new found girl, we can't go back on this Jongin. We made a deal last night. She stays for a week. If after a week you don't feel the same, we can maybe continue your feelings towards this mystery girl." The King said.

Kai opened his mouth to speak but the Queen silenced him. "No Jongin. Nothing you can do will change this. She will arrive tomorrow and you are to treat her with respect."