Chapter 14: Blank

Spring

Dinner with Ms. Li and Han was quiet that day. Han kept his eyes on his bowl and the food, avoiding eye contact with Yixing and Ms. Li.

Yixing was too immersed in his thoughts to notice, but Ms. Li did. Han's handsome yet adorable baby face was usually calm and smiling, while Yixing's handsome face was innocent and blank a calm aura surrounding the young man.

"Yixing-ge" The soft voice of the quokka disturbs the slightly tense atmosphere.

Yixing turns his head, "mm?"

"You haven't touched your food yet, are you not hungry?" She looks at his plate still full of food.

He looks at his plate, realization dawning on him "Oh... I'm sorry Ms. Li. You worked so hard on cooking this dinner for us and yet I have not eaten a single bite of it." He takes a spoonful of the food Ms. Li prepared and chewed it. Yixing gives her a smile, "It's delicious."

He peers at Han to see if he had eaten the food Ms. Li prepared. The elk slowly chewed his food, his eyes downcast and aura heavy.

What has happened to his friend? Yixing curiously looks at Han, he opens his mouth to say something but feels a hand on his forearm. Ms. Li gives him a soft smile and makes a slight movement with her head. "Leave him be."

He obliges and eats more of the food, Yixing's mind wanders back to their conversation earlier. Han was fine before then... Could it have been their conversation that turned down his mood? What did they talk about anyway? The topic of Ms. Li being his soul mate and to mind. She could be his souls mate, the eating of the poison berries and the fall down the cliff brought him to her, they also have the same name... But the idea of it didn't feel right. Ms. Li and him? Together? He scrunches his eyebrows at the image of the two of them together, married.

"Yixing-ge, are you okay?" Ms. Li's kind eyes laced with concern brings him out of his thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, uh, yeah I'm fine. Just... Thinking about things.." His eyes move to focus on Han and they make eye contact.

What he saw surprised him. Usually, Han's eyes were bright and he would smile at Yixing. But today, Han's eyes were dark, clouded with thoughts he didn't want Yixing to hear; emotions he didn't want Yixing to see nor decipher. Han was in conflict with himself, what could be the reason be? Yixing and Han's eye contact was cut short when Han blinked and looked away. Awoken from his thoughts about Han, Yixing looks at Ms. Li. She gives him a small smile, "Today wasn't a good day, I hope tomorrow is a better day. And I hope you two feel better."

She stands up and places her plate in the sink, "I hate to ask this but, Yixing -ge, may you wash the dishes? I don't feel well."

"Oh, of course. Feel better." She gives him an apologetic smile and leaves the room.

Han looks up at the door where she exited.

Yixing's eyes go to Han and then to his plate. Han scoots back his chair and stands up, "I don't feel well too. I think I'm going to retire for the night. Good night Yixing-ge." Before Yixing could reply, Han places his plate in the sink and quickly leaves the room.

Yixing sits at the dinner table alone, curious as to what the two of his friends were up to. Thoughts of the two being together twisted his guts. Han hasn't shown any signs of being interested in Ms. Li, what was he thinking? His food suddenly didn't look so good anymore, "I think I'll retire for the night too.... Good night you two."

He washes the plates sparkly clean and walks to his room. The rain pounded the windows, the clouds dark and the atmosphere tense. Yixing lays on his bed and sighs heavily, what went wrong today?