Chapter 10: Poison Berries

Spring

The trip back into the forest was silent, Yixing didn't know what to talk about and it seemed like Han didn't either.

Yixing looks at Han and then back to the road in front of them, "When I was younger, I would play hide-n-seek with Kris. I remember the thrill of hiding from Kris, he is a really tall and huge person so it was easy finding Kris. Want to play?"

"Hide-n-seek?" Han asks.

Yixing nods his head, "Yes."

"Sure..." Han says uncertainly.

"Okay, you hide and I seek." Yixing says excitedly.

"I hide and you seek?" Han looked uncertain about the idea, "Can you hide and I seek?"

"Okay, as long as you're happy with it." Yixing smiles, "Close your eyes and count to ten."

Han obeys and closes his eyes, slowly counting to ten, "One... Two... Three..."

Quickly, Yixing gracefully flees from Han, making sure to not cause too much noise. He knows how sensitive deer ears are. In this area, the trees are really close to each other, he just has to find a tree big enough to hide him. Using his unicorn sense, Yixing can hear that Han is at eight. After quickly searching for a tree, he finds one. Inside the tree is a hole big enough to fit him, Yixing doesn't fear bugs. Crawling in and sitting in the tree, Yixing patiently waits for Han to find him.

After about two minutes, Yixing hears Han's soft footsteps enter the area. His breathing suppressed, so as to not alert Yixing who is hiding. Yixing smiles and counts in his head.

Five.... Han takes a step towards the tree... Four.... And another.... Three.... His breathing held in... Two... Yixing could smell his sweet scent next to the tree... One...

"Found you." Han's beautiful voice whispers. His handsome smiling face appears in front of the opening in the tree.

Yixing laughs and crawls out. "You found me. That was the quickest game of hide-n-seek I have ever played. How did you know where I was?"

Han shrugs, "It's.... Just this feeling I had... The feeling lead me here."

"Oh..." Yixing looks at the tree, confused. "That's... Weird. Whenever I played with Kris it would take him the whole afternoon." He looks back at Han, "Time for you to hide."

Han smiles excitedly, "Okay, count to ten." Before dashing off.

Yixing closes his eyes and counts to ten slowly. As he searched for Han, he knew what Han meant. It felt like an invisible string leading him to the man he had befriended yesterday. A bond only the two shared.

"Found you Han-gē!" Yixing giggles happily.

Han laughs, "You found me."

"Okay, I'll hide now."

As the two played their game, Yixing began to get hungry again. "Han-gē." He says. They had eaten earlier but now it is evening and there was no more food.

A/N: I didn't write the part of them eating earlier that afternoon, sorry readers \ >_< /

"Yes?" Han answers.

"I'm starting to get kind of hungry."

Han looks around, "We shouldn't have eaten everything." He frowns as he looks around.

"I remember one time, Kris and I got lost as children, we ate berries when we got hungry."

Han's face brightens, "Of course! Berries."

"Do you guys have poisonous berries here Han-gē?" Yixing follows Han into the forest.

"We do, but there's few poisonous berry bushes. They look similar to the berries that are safe to eat. Just darker, almost a dark red."

"Then does that mean that the berries that are safe to eat are red?" Yixing looks at the trees.

"A wine red, very similar to the poisonous berry. So be careful." Han warns. "Or... You can just sit here and I'll go pick the berries. I wouldn't want you to be poisoned."

Yixing raises his brows, "No, I can't do that. I want to find berries too. We'll get more berries faster."

Han stares at Yixing, "Are you sure?"

Yixing nods his head determinedly, "Positive."

"Okay then.." Han agrees hesitantly.

"I will go this way, and you will go that way." Yixing smiles happily and walks towards a group of bushes containing berries some few feet away.

Han does as he is told, leaving Yixing on his own.

Yixing bends by a bush and inspect the berries, "A wine red he said... And the poisonous ones are dark red..."

He sighs, "This is difficult. Maybe it's dark red as in almost black red. Do they grow in the same bush?" He looks up at Han about thirty feet away. Walking towards Han he asks, "Gēgē, do the poisonous berries and good berries grow in the same bush?"

Han chuckles, "No Yixing, they grow on different bushes. Thank goodness."

"Okay, thanks Gēgē." Yixing walks back to his bushes and begins to collect some in his hands.

"Yixing, put your berries in here." Han hands one of the little baskets, that Han's mother had given them earlier to Yixing.

A/N: I don't think I included Han's mother giving them picnic baskets in the last chapter, sorry I'm just writing as I go.

"Oh, thanks Gēgē." Yixing puts his berries in the basket.

"There's a waterfall near where you're headed, be careful." Han warns.

"Yes sir." Yixing smiles, taking the basket with him as he scavenges for more.

After about thirty minutes, Yixing's stomach began to growl. He looks at the basket sadly, "I'm supposed to share these with Han-gē. I won't eat them." He tells himself sternly.

But once he couldn't deny the hunger anymore, Yixing takes one out and eats it. This berry is juicy and ripe, sweet. Yixing smiles and eats more. He comes across the waterfall and chuckles, "Wow, what a beautiful sight."

He starts to feel dizzy looking at the waterfall, he sets the basket down but continues to stare at the waterfall. Nausea hits him and Yixing turns around, doubling over, throwing up everything he had eaten. His temples throbbed, what was happening to him? Fear grabbed his guts, was he dying? Han, where is Han?

"Yixing!"

Han?

With a blurry vision, Yixing looks up from his crouched position.

"These berries at the back are poisonous! Yixing! Where are you?"

He wanted to yell, yell to Han. To let Han know that he was alive and that he was by the waterfall. And that he probably had a handful of poisonous berries.

It took everything to stand up, Yixing felt like throwing up with every movement, but he stood up. For Han. He needs Han. And he's going to Han.

"Yixing!" A blurry figure from faraway runs towards him.

"H...Ha.... Han..." Yixing topples over the cliff, into the waterfall.

"Yixing!"

---------------------------------
A/N: Oh No! What's going to happen to Yixing? Is he going to die in that waterfall? He ate some poisonous berries T.T poor baby. Sorry I had writer's block and couldn't update like I promised. I'm sorry if this chapter is kind of short and not that good. I just wanted to update because I haven't updated anything in the past few weeks.