Chapter 1: Lu Han

Spring

"Spring! It's Spring Han-hyung!" Chanyeol says as he lands next to the sleepy grazing elk.

Han leans down to pick some grass to eat, he is extremely picky.

"So it is." he replies slowly, sleep still in his eyes.

Baekhyun hops next to him, "Do you know what that means?"

The two loud birds shout out, "Mating Season!"

"Can you believe it?" Chanyeol asks, full of excitement. "We are all going to be on our own, looking for a mate."

"I know right? Im so nervous and excited at the same time." Baekhyun hops energetically back and forth.

"You are nervous for what?" Han asks, looking at the two birds.

"Hyung, were you not listening?" Baekhyun raises an eyebrow at Han.

"No, mianhaeyo, I am tired today." Han gives Baekyun and Chanyeol a sleepy smile.

"Han! Guess what?"

Another elk, about the same age as Han bursts through the trees.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun jumps back, "Oh my god Hyung! You scared me!" The two exclaim at the same time.

"Kkaepsong" Baekhyun added, when he looked at Han to see if he had also jumped.

The young elk gave him no such reaction.

Minseok, the elk that bursted through the trees, laughs. "Mianhaeyo, I was just really excited for Mating Season."

"Min-Hyung! Guess what? Han-hyung is not excited for mating season. Jjinja." Chanyeol points at Han.

"Han, you are not excited for spring?" Minseok looks at Han curiously.

"Not really, I am more nervous than excited." Han admitts.

"It is going to be okay dongsaeng, we will all be successful." Minseok gives his dongsaengs an encouraging smile.

"Of course we will, nobody has ever had trouble finding a mate before." Baekhyun says.

"I want to meet a cute little bird that is very sweet but also very brave at the same time." Chanyeol says. He looks at his hyungs, "what about you guys?"

"I want a cute and bubbly mate. I want to be able to laugh and joke around with her." Baekhyun tells them.

"I like someone who is kind and has a sweet personality." Minseok looks over at Han "what about you?"

Han opens his mouth, ready to say something. "I actually do not know, I have not thought about that before. But she has to love me in return."

The elk and two birds nod.

"True." Baekhyun agrees.

"We can leave to go mating anytime now," Baekhyun notifies them. "you have to tell your eomma and abuji first though, before you leave. Except you," he points a soft blue feather at Lu, "you have to tell your mama and baba."

"What is the difference?" Han asks, giving Baekyun an incredulous look.

"My noona is going to go out mating too, this year." Chanyeol tells them. "Baek, you are forbidden to mate with her."

Baekhyun laughs, "Yes I know Yeol, don't worry."

"Baekhyun knows better than that, he would not mate with your sister Chanyeol." Minseok looks at Chanyeol with a smile on his face.

The bird laughs, "Ne, hyung. I was just joking around."

Han laughs and turns around to walk towards the stream.

"Where are you going?" Minseok asks.

"To get a drink."

"The stream is the other way Han-ssi."

The two birds giggle and Minseok laughs.

Lu turns around and chuckles at his mistake. "I knew that."

"I'm sure you did." laughs Beakhyun, "Kkaepsong."

After the drink, Han decides to take a walk with Minseok.

"Now that the two birds have left, do you want to take a walk with me Minmin?" Han gave that nickname to Minseok a couple years ago. When alone, the two best friends do not use honorifics.

"Sure Lulu." Minseok says, starting the walk already.

"So, what kind of doe are you hoping to meet?" Han asks.

After a moment of thinking, Minseok answered,"I want a cute but feminine doe. I hope that she is kind in the heart and has a sweet personality, like I said before. I want her to help and love my eomma and I want my eomma to accept and love my mate."

He looks at Han, "What about you?"

Lu turns his head to look at the treetops and the bright blue sky.

"I.... want a kind loving mate, someone to help my mama around the house. I also want the little kids to love her, and I hope she loves the children back. But most of all, I want her to love me just as much as I love her."

Minseok nods in agreement. The two chuckle happily as they walk, cracking jokes here and there.

"When are you going to leave to go out mating?" Han asks.

"I'm not sure, soon, once my abuji comes back." Minseok answers. "What about you?"

"When I'm ready, I'm probably going to wait a few days before I head out." Han replies.

"I hope to meet a unicorn, at least once, while out mating." Minseok voices out loud.

"Oh! I do too." Han smiles.

"Just to give me strength and hope that I'll find my mate without trouble." Minseok reasons.

"Yeah, it's a great honor to meet a unicorn, they come from the heavens." Han stops by a flower to inspect it.

"Like angels." Minseok stands beside Han, waiting for him to finish inspecting the flower.

"Lulu, what if you want to mate with a unicorn...but your mama and baba want you to mate with another deer?"

"Huh?" He looks up and processes the question. "Then..... I... I don't know. But if my unicorn mate and I love each other enough, we will find a way to be together." Han stands up and starts walking back the way they came.

"But I don't think mama and baba would not approve of my mating with a unicorn. It's a great honor to meet one, but to marry one? That is a very high honor. But as long as I am happy, I do not think they would care too much."

"Oh... Same with my family, I think my eomma and abuji wouldn't really care who I mate with, as long as I am happy." Minseok stops by the stream Han drank from previously and took a sip of water.

"Let's go see Sehun." Han says. Sehun is many years younger and from a different forest, but that doesn't stop Han from visiting his friend once in a while. Besides, he did not get to talk to the kid all winter, Sehun's kind hibernated in the winter.

"Sure." Minseok says.

Han smiles and they head to Oh Forest. Each animal's surname depends on the forest they were born in.

Han was born in Lu forest, so he would introduce himself as Lu Han, and they would know he was born in Lu forest.

Minseok, however, would introduce himself as Kim Minseok, even though he now inhabited Lu forest, he was born in Kim forest.

"Sehun talks a lot." Minseok says as they make their way east of Lu forest.

"Yeah, but only when he wants to, otherwise he does not open his mouth to say anything." Han carefully picks his way around the flowers. But it was difficult, considering his size compared to the flowers.

"He does not use honorifics when around you or I." Minseok carefully follows Han's path so as to not squish the flowers.

"I think it is fine, as long as nobody catches him talking to us with no honorifics." Han stops in front of the meadow to enter Oh forest.

"That kid sure is something." Minseok follows Han through the meadow.

As they make their way to Sehun's burrow, the two noticed that Oh forest's snow had already melted.

Right before Minseok was about to comment about the snow, they heard a voice shout out.

"Han!"

The two elk look at the place where the voice emitted from.

A little white bunny bounces onto Han and hugs his leg.

"Han!" It said.

"Hi Sehun-ah" Han and Minseok say at the same time.

Sehun looks up at Han and peers at Minseok.

"It thuckth that we cannot thee each other over winter. Did you guyth mith me?" Sehun asks.

Minseok moves a bit closer to Han, "What did he say?"

The little bunny had a lisp, making it difficult for Minseok to understand him. Han however, understood every word Sehun said.

Instead of answering Minseok directly, Han says, "Of course we missed you Sehun-ah, why wouldn't we."

"I don't know." Sehun looks around and whistled, "look at that, the thnow ith gone already."

"Yeah" Han says, looking around.

"Is the thnow gone at Han foreth?" Sehun asks.

Minseok shakes his head, "No, not yet."

"Ah jinjja? Kaeppthong." Sehun clicks his tongue and shakes his head.

The two elk looked at each other and tried not to laugh. Apparently, Byun Baekhyun had been here before they arrived.