A Day With Jieun

Till Death Do Us Part

“Are you still made at me?” I asked Suzy as we walked down the stairs, towards the door.

“Why would I be mad?” She asked. “She’s just a friend…” She turned to me and glared. “Right?”

“Of course.” I said. She didn’t look convinced so I hugged her and she smiled. “She’s just a friend… that’s all.”

“Aresso…” She said, as she headed to the door. “You’re going to meet me at the restaurant tonight right?”

“Ne…”

“Okay… I’ll see you after work. Enjoy your day off.”

“I will.” She waved goodbye and once she was gone, I picked up the phone and dialed Jieun’s number. With ever ring, I got more and more excited. I don’t know why. It rang a bit more, then I heard her voice.

“Hello?”

“Hey Jieun. It’s me Wooyoung.”

“Ah~ oppa… How are you?”

“I’m fine… Listen, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the park with me this afternoon.”

“Wouldn’t your girlfriend get mad?”

“Ani… She’s at work right now.”

“I don’t know… I don’t want to cause any problems with the two of you.”

“Come on...  I thought you said you came back to Korea because you wanted to see me.” She stayed quiet for a moment. “And besides, you still have my jacket.” I heard her sigh.

“Aresso… I’ll be right over.” We hung up and I went to freshen up. Don’t get the wrong idea Wooyoung. Jieun is just a friend. We have known each other since we were in pre-school. I haven’t seen her in 3 years, I just want to catch up with her. This is not a date and there are no feelings whatsoever. The door bell rang, I ran down the stairs and opened the door.

“You made it.” I said. Jieun smiled and held out my jacket. I took it and put it on. “Are you ready to go?” I asked. She nodded and we made our way to the park. As we walked on the paved trail, we talked about what’s been going on in our lives.

“So... your girlfriend seems nice.” She said. I cleared my throat.

“Yeah I’m sorry about that. I wasn’t expecting you.” I explained.

“Ani… it’s my fault. I should have called before I came over.” We stayed quiet for moment and continued through the park.

“So how’s your umma?” I asked. She seemed a bit shocked by my question. Tears filled her eyes and she turned away from me. “Jieun… are you alright?” She nodded.

“My umma…” She sniffed.  “Passed away a year after we left Korea.” I was taken aback. I remember her mother being sick before she left but I didn’t know it was that bad.

“I’m so sorry…” I said. She shrugged. “W-why didn’t you call me?” She turned to me and smiled, her eyes still watery.

“I tried to, but before it happened, you changed your number and you never gave me your new one.”

“Well… Why didn’t you call 411 like you did when you came back?”

“I guess I just thought you had better things to do.” She said with a sigh. “I didn’t think the things that happen in my life were that important…”

“Are you kidding?” I asked as I stepped in front of her. “You were very important to me.” She looked at me with wide eyes and I had just realized what I said. I turned away from her and sat on a bench that was right next to us. She sat next to me and we stayed quiet for a moment.

“If it means anything...” She said, breaking the silence. “You were important to me too.” We looked at each other and she smiled. I smiled back and we continued to talk. Day turned to night and we made our way home. As we walked down the street, I saw her rub her arms to keep herself warm, so I took off my jacket and put it around her shoulders. She looked up at me and I smiled. We stood outside the entrance of the hotel she was staying in and she handed me my jacket.

“Thank you for a great day.” She said with a smile. I nodded and she walked towards the door. The door man opened the door for her, she bowed and turned to me. “You should probably get home now. Your girlfriend might be wondering where you are.” She waved and walked through the door. My heart sank. I forgot about dinner with Suzy.

I sprinted to the restaurant, but when I got there, Suzy was no where to be found. I stopped a waiter that was passing. “Excuse me sir.” He turned and looked at me. “Was there a girl here with long red hair, she has a cute face and she was probably sitting alone?”

“Hmm… Ne, she left about half an hour ago.” He said.

“Okay thank you.” I ran out of the restaurant and sprinted home. When I got there, Suzy was in the living room looking at a small velvet box. “You’re here.” She looked up at me, anger burning in her eyes.

“Where were you?” She asked. It wasn’t harsh or loud, she sounded calm. But her eyes said otherwise.

“I-I was out with Jieun.” I said. I heard her scoff.

“You missed our dinner for her?” She asked, her voice getting harsh.

“I--”

“What is it with you and this Jieun??”

“We’re just friends.”

“You must like her as more than a friend to have missed such an important event??”

“What was so important? It was just dinner! We have dinner all the time!” Her expression changed from angry to hurt.

“You really don’t know?” She asked, tears threatening to escape her big brown eyes.

“Know what?” She shook her head and her expression turned angry again.

“Forget it!” She said. “Just forget it!!” She ran up the stairs and into her room, slamming the door. I don’t understand. What could have been so important? I sighed and threw myself down on the couch. I looked at the coffee table and saw the small velvet box that Suzy was looking at. It had a card next to it that had my name on it, so I picked it up and opened it.

‘Happy anniversary. I love you.’
             Love,
                    Suzy

Oh no… Our one year anniversary! I completely forgot. I put the car down and picked up the box. When I opened it I saw a ring with her name in it. It was a couple ring. I dropped the box and leaned back on the couch. What have I done??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Wooyoung how could you?? lol Well I need a little help if anyone is interested . I want a poster for this story, however, all the  shops I go to aren't taking any requests or they're on haitus. So if anyone is interested please let me know. Thank you!!^^

Chammyunnie~<3