Breaking the Ice

One of Us - The Story

\\\\\

Everyone knew where Kai and Namjoo lived. If they didn’t, getting someone to prowl around for their home address wasn’t very difficult. Sehun could at least manage that. 

Closing the car door behind him Sehun glanced up at the rich home protected from peeping eyes by a strong brick wall. The steel door outside was unlocked so he simply made his way in. Turning back and forth he ran eyes at the large empty yard then to the modern home. He’d gotten news at work that Namjoo had not come in for work today.

After much thinking and frustration he decided he still wanted to see her. The moments they shared together weren’t just simple moments that anyone could forget within a few days. He had felt everything deeply inside his soul and knew Namjoo had too. The hugs and the kisses she gave him were things he couldn’t wash out of his head. 

Now as he stood in front of the house staring, he also realized that it was true. Kai was giving her a good life. A new home this size wouldn’t be easy for Sehun to purchase without leaving behind monthy installments that were not only a headache but a nuisance, but that was something Kai needn’t worry about. He was filthy rich.

Lightly clenching his teeth together he walked up to the door and stared at the doorbell. Deep in his heart he believed that no matter what kind of words Namjoo said to him, she loved him. He would get her back. On impulse, he rang the doorbell and waited.

The surprise that drenched Namjoo’s face was to his satisfaction. Without waiting to be invited he pushed his way in.

“Sehun!” she called after him, hurrying to stop him from further wandering in.

“Your home, huh?” he walked around, ignoring her no matter how she tried to block him. Swiftly turning he grabbed the vase on the table between the two couches and observed it. “This must be expensive. I wonder what’ll happen if something happens to it.”

Namjoo’s eyes widened before snatching it from him, “Stop! It’s a wedding gift!”

He turned around to find her close just as he wanted and stared, inhaling the scent flowing off her skin. “Wedding? So you get expensive gifts. Is that much value all your worth?”

Her stare became stern, “What are you doing here?”

“I can’t visit?” Sehun asked. “There wasn’t a housewarming party, so I voluntarily dropped by to remind you that I love you.”

Her lips tightened into a straight line.

“You remember how many times I’ve told you that? From the bottom of my heart?” he leaned further in, and watched carefully how her eyes swerved back and forth.

“Namjoo, who…” a voice behind them made her abruptly turn away.

Sehun looked up, annoyed with the interruption to see an elderly woman coming up from the basement. Who the heck was she?

Pulling on a smile, Namjoo lied, “Kai’s friend stopped by for something. Oh, now that I think about it I want to eat some fish cakes. Do you mind going out to get me some?”

“Oh…oh…” the woman suspiciously muttered staring at him. “Yes, I’ll go. Will you be alright alone?”

Namjoo nodded. “You can go now. Kai's friend is about to leave.”

“Alright,” the woman smiled uncertainly. “I’ll be right back.”

Setting down the large plastic bottle of soap onto the the table she shot Sehun a last glimpse before heading out the door. Once it closed Sehun snatched Namjoo’s arm, forcing her to turn back to him.

“You can’t even say my name?” he felt bitter.

Namjoo pulled out of his hold roughly. “Look around if you want. This is where I live with Kai. Nice isn’t it?” Looking more confidently up into his face she went on tauntingly, stabbing darts into his heart. “I like it here. Kai calls me Namjoo and so does Nanny Jung. I don’t have to be Choonhee here. I’ve honestly been happy. Kai buys me what I want to eat and even lets me sleep in late in the morning. He doesn't make me do anything. The bed he bought is real nice. Want to hear more?”

“You’re lying!” he raised his voice, jealous with rage and denial.

“Tell me, Sehun,” Namjoo said, “do you think you can still call me Namjoo in your home?”

Sehun stared at her absurdly.

“No, you can’t,” Namjoo turned to look away and tapped her fingers on the table, “but Kai can, because he has that power. And you? You’re just your father’s little underdog, still struggling at the bottom like a tadpole wanting to be a fish.”

“Stop talking to me like that,” Sehun hissed. “You’re not like this. Stop putting on an act already, huh?” he pleaded. “I don’t want to argue with you.”

Her eyes were ice cold. “I’m a married woman, Sehun. Can you stop being pathetic already? I’ve already moved on from the little fling I’ve had with you. It’s about time you should move on too. Care more about your image, because no woman likes a man without reputation.”

Sehun felt his lips tremble. How was Namjoo able to talk like this with him when she had been so sweet and shy before? He couldn’t believe that she could change in the span of a few nights and act toward him so rudely, treat him so coldly.

“I believe in you, Namjoo,” desperation overwhelmed him, but no matter how sadly he looked at her Namjoo’s cold gaze was unwavering. “That what we had between us was real. When I told you I loved you and all you could do was cry. That night when I came to you in Busan, I was the happiest I’ve ever been. You replied and you asked for something, and I felt…I could feel that you trusted me. I couldn’t sleep when I got home. That was the first time I spoke with someone all night. You…do you know no one’s been so important to me before? Anything, I can do anything for you.

“I can’t forget how you looked the night we celebrated your birthday. You came to me and smiled. You believed in me the way I believe in you. I can feel it; that it’s not over. I can’t let you go. I can look pathetic, I can let anyone else step on me, but please don’t turn your back on me. I only care about you. Namjoo.”

Namjoo’s eyes never swayed throughout his entire speech, her icy stare unchanging. She looked bored while listening. He wanted to touch her heart again to remind her of the sweetness that existed between only them. To reignite the flame of their short-lived relationship.

Namjoo slapped him. It wasn’t soft. It was hard and it stung. The pain vibrated throughout his entire face. He stood there bewildered, stupefied. 

“Wake up, Sehun,” Namjoo icily ordered. “I don’t love you. It wasn’t love. You were an experiment to me, because you’re the first ever man to come on to me. But truthfully, it’s shameless and embarrassing to think about. I don’t want to have anything to do with you. I refused the marriage with Kai because I didn’t love him, but now…he’s been good to me. I want to start anew and forget everything. So pretend that you don’t know me and forget me. Go live your life like I’m living mine. I don’t want to see you again. Please get out of my house.”

Tears welled up in his eyes. He was hurt, bruised from inside out. 

She meant it.

A breath shuddered out of him. He suddenly laughed. “Alright,” he nodded, “ok. I get it. I get it now. So you’re happy, is that it?” he looked at her struck with pain and humility. His eyes landed on her once, away, and then back to her a few times before pressing his lips together in order to keep from falling apart and forced himself to walk out without looking back.

\\\\\

Once the door closed Namjoo’s hand shook. Quicky folding it up into a fist she grasped onto it in utter shock and disbelief. She’d hurt him. She’d hurt him!

Pain welled throughout her as a coaster of emotions made her grow emotional. Gritting her teeth she found herself loudly crying. Turning around she dashed up the stairs and slammed the door to the bathroom. Stripping out of her clothes she stepped into the shower and turned the water hot, hoping to wash away the sin she just committed.

\\\\\

A knock on the door made Kai’s head shoot up from the computer screen.

“Director,” his secretary opened the door, “it’s just…someone came for you.”

Kai frowned and nodded, watching the secretary nod before Nanny Jung walked in. Surpsied with the unexpected visit he immediately stood.

“What are you doing here?” Kai walked out from around his desk.

“I’m sorry, Jongin,” she apologized, “it’s just…I was nervous and figured it was better to come here than give you a call.”

“What is it?”

“Someone visited,” she explained carefully, “Namjoo said it’s one of your friends, but it didn’t quite seem like it. He looked upset.”

“Who?” Kai asked with a frown. “Did you get a good look at him?”

She nodded. “He’s tall, broad shoulders, and quite handsome.”

Kai ran the general information through his head. No one had any business going to his home to see Namjoo. No one…

Then his eyes widened and he grabbed Nanny Jung’s shoulders raising his voice, “And you left her?!”

“No…she said…”

Turning around he grabbed his blazer with his keys, “We have to go home.”

After speeding through the roads they arrived to a silent house. Kai’s first immediate panic was to wonder if Sehun had taken Namjoo with him. This time if she disappeared there would be no excuses from him, and he swore he would get his father to fire Sehun. 

“Namjoo!” he shouted running from room to room before racing up the stairs and threw open her door to find her siting on the bed with the sheets pulled up over the knees at her chest. Her hair was damp as if she just showered. Namjoo looked distorted. The sight was appalling and a little disturbing. Turning to Nanny Jung he gestured her to leave before starting toward her.

His wife looked frail and broken. Tired and sick.

Pausing in front of her he slightly lowered himself down onto his knees and hesitated to touch her. In the end, he only placed his hand down onto the blanket. Worry overwhelmed him, urging him to scoop her up into his arms and hug her to sleep. Whatever had happened between her and Sehun suddenly didn't matter anymore. Kai knew better. 

“Are you ok?” he softly questioned as if speaking too loudly would shatter her. “Are you not feeling well?”

With closed eyes Namjoo shook her head. He wanted to hug her, hold her closer than ever. 

“Do you want to eat something? I’ll have Nanny Jung make something for you to eat.”

Namjoo shook her head, leaving him helpless. Then out of the blue she turned to look at him with her depressed eyes and leaned against his shoulder, burying her head into the warm space between his shoulder and neck. Stunned, he remained there frozen. The things she made him feel were beyond normal.

It was nice having her lean on him. For once, he felt like her real support. The tender sensation seesawing through him made his heart thud. He sank in the essence of the perfect weight of her head before his phone rang. He glanced at Namjoo regrettably when she lifted her head off his shoulder to let him answer the phone. Rising to his feet he pulled it out of his pocket.

“Ah…Kai!” it was his mother.

“Oh…mom…”

“What’s wrong? You’re not excited to hear from me?” her high-pitched voice exclaimed.

“No. It’s nothing. Why are you calling?”

“Your father and I want to come visit. When are you free?”

“What?” Kai asked with a tone of absurdity. “Visit?! Where are you?”

 “If you and Namjoo are still at work, I’ll call Nanny Jung to come open the door for us.”

“No, no. No need. I’m home,” Kai shook his head. “I’ll come down.”

After hanging up he turned to Namjoo who gave him a glance before looking away. “I should change.”

“Oh…” he nodded and turned to walk out.

When he reached the door his mother stood on the other side with her bright red lips, broadly smiling and exclaiming loudly. “Why, look at you! What a nice home!”

His father nodded at him before walking in to look around. Spinning around to follow them in he nervously smiled.

“It’s nice,” his father commented approvingly. “But where is Choonhee?”

Swift, soft footsteps skidded down the steps and Kai suddenly felt Namjoo’s hands around his arm. “I’m sorry,” she apologized then smiled gladly, “welcome mother and father.”

He turned to look at her lost and confused. Namjoo had never so voluntarily touched him before until today. What was the matter with her?

“Aren’t you two just adorable lovebirds,” Seulgi gleefully commented. “Ah…I brought over some gifts. Sit down, sit down.”

After sitting down together on the couch Kai watched the woman pull out some expensive boxes of herbs and what looked like strange roots.

“Your mother went all the way to Haenam to meet a traditional doctor,” his dad explained.

“You didn’t have to,” Kai breathed unsure whether he wanted to touch the strange items at all.

Ignoring him his mother explained, “These are good for stamina, especially in men. I got them just for you, Kai.”

Kai’s eyes widened flushing with embarrassment. “Mom.”  

“What?” his mother asked, unaffected. “You just have to let it boil for six hours then drink it warm.” Then leaning over slapped his knee, “You just have to get to work right after and there should be a baby popping out.”

The woman giggled as he and Namjoo looked away from each other.

“Ah…and Choonhee,” his mother went on, “you must be careful with what you eat. These roots, I’ll have Nanny Jung boil them for you, you just have to eat one once a day. It’ll help replenish your body with vitamins and minerals. Staying healthy is an important necessitiy for women.”

“Yes…” Namjoo nodded from beside him with a half smile, her voice weak.

“Oh, are the bedrooms upstairs?” asked Seulgi. “Your father and I was thinking about sleeping over tonight. The house is so empty now that you’re gone, and we want to see our daughter-in-law since you like keeping her away from us.”

“Mom, really, you don’t need to. We live in the same city…”

“But you never visit, ever since you got married you and Choonhee haven’t come by,” his mother directly cut him off disappointedly.

“Mom, we only have two rooms…” Kai started before shutting his mouth.

“Two?” she repeated. “That’s great! Your father and I’ll sleep in the guest room.”

Kai bit his lower lip and feigned a smile while his insides became edgy. Right after having his parents go into the kitchen quite forcibly while Nanny Jung prepped for lunch, he followed Namjoo upstairs and watched her quickly hide her personal possessions lying about in her room.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized. “I didn’t expect this.”

“No, it’s fine,” Namjoo replied without turning to look at him while shoving the few of her possessions into a box in the closet. “It’s just one night.”

\\\\\

After a long dinner and holding a mask of pretense to her face, Namjoo finally climbed into Kai’s bed foreign to her. She could hear the water running in the bathroom and thought about how everything had somehow whirled against her. Kai was being kind to her again. She tried to accept the thought and to her side suddenly jolting up when her phone rang.

It was Sehun.

She hesitated before finally holding the mobile phone to her ear. A long moment of silence engulfed the soundwaves before she heard some sort of groaning and undiscernable muttering. It left her confused, but she waited. 

“Namjoo…Namjoo?” it was Sehun. His speech seemed slurred. He was drinking, was probably drunk. 

“What?” 

“You won’t…you won’t regret this? Me…us?” he sobbed. “I love you Namjoo.”

Namjoo turned when the bathroom door opened and Kai stepped out. Immediately hanging up she set the phone down and settled under the blanket.

“Are my parents asleep?” he asked walking over.

“Should be.” Namjoo replied with her head sinking into his big pillow.

She turned and watched him grab a pillow then moved over to open his closet, pulling a spare blanket out. Then dropping the blanket onto the ground he spread the blanket out. She could hear Nanny Jung’s voice in her head again, telling her about Kai. Then she thought about that day when he told her about him and Choonhee. Kai had been honest, he had been brave and upfront. 

That day she had cried knowing there was no turning back.

“Don’t sleep on the floor,” Namjoo broke the silence. “Come up on the bed.”

“What?” his soft voice couldn't hide his surprise. 

“Sleep on the bed,” Namjoo repeated and stared at the lamp beside her.

“You’re,” he started, “not afraid of me?”

“You can’t hurt me,” Namjoo said. “I know you won’t. Just come sleep.”  


***Ooohh....how my heart hurts. Namjoo so cold inside now she needs something warm. ;; but KaiJoo's marriage ain't so bad. It tugs my heart writing about them. Kai's learning to be patient with her, even while clearly knowing she can't feel anything for him. And now for Sehun's comeback cause he's one pissed off dude. What do you think he's up to? (hint: it's something bad)

***Warning: hold on for the ride because everything escalates really fast from here on