Pursuit of Happiness

One of Us - The Story

Spechless, Namjoo found her mind blank. Her body’s functions immediately shut down. All she could do was stare. On Kai’s face appeared one of the softest smiles she ever saw him give her while awaiting her answer.

“Oh my god…oh my god. He’s proposing!” voices chattered in the distance.

“Say yes already!” some guy shouted.

Ahead of them the chorus of people watched, their faces smiling. It suddenly felt like the whole world was awaiting her. How could she say no in front of a group of strangers obviously vying for her yes? The pressure, the eyes, the stares were all so heavy on her shoulders. She would embarrass not only herself but the man before her who had taken to preparing this if she was honest.

But not like this…

Namjoo hated herself all the more. Her lips moved, her voice refused to appear. Just yesterday she had liked Sehun more than ever. Hours ago she had felt the exhilarating thrill of happiness like never before.

Why?

Forcing her feelings back into the dark she finally said it. “Yes.”

The corners of his smile literally reached his ears as he took her hand and slid the ring over her finger. Rising back to his feet she felt him take her hand before ending everything by taking her lips into his. Those watching cheered and clapped while her insides prepared to shut down.

Moving a breath away she looked up to see him looking at her. Then whispering, “Act well. Smile.”

Namjoo’s brows lightly twitched painfully before he abruptly embraced her, as if they were two real lovers about to start their new life.

\\\\\

It was dark now. Namjoo hadn’t said a word to him for the two hours they remained on the road. She hadn’t looked at him either. Very obviously he knew she was droning over her night with Sehun last night. He wanted to tell her he saw them, he wanted to yell at her, remind her whose wife she was going to become. Just it seemed meaningless.

The ring shone on her finger gloriously. If Sehun saw it, Kai wondered what kind of contemptuous feelings he might develop. Now it was too late. For him. For her. For anyone else to back out. Namjoo was going to become his wife and that would be the end of the story, and he would get anything else he’d been vying for.

That was all that mattered. All he cared for.

“Stop the car,” Namjoo suddenly demanded.

“Why?” he wondered if she was up to something. Did she have a trick up her sleeve?

“I said stop the car!” she raised her voice.

“No. We’re going to keep going until we get to Seoul.” Kai stubbornly told.

Namjoo turned to him with her brows deeply furrowed before she heaved and covered . Kai swore underneath his breath before swerving the car to the side of the road and watched Namjoo release her seatbelt in frustration before hurrying out. Biting his own tongue he dug into the compartment for some tissues. By the time he was out Namjoo was still throwing up.

Heaving a sigh he walked toward her helping her keep her hair out of her face and handed her the tissues. He finally let go of her hair when she straightened up and wiped . Without a word of thanks she started back to the car as a vehicle zoomed by. Closing the door after getting back in he turned to see her still in her seat, eyes glued to the dark road ahead of them. And he thought about the medicine he’d tossed yesterday.

“Are you ok?” he finally forced himself to ask.

No reply.

He turned to look at her assuming that she was furious with him for proposing in public and forcing her to say yes. In fact, it was intentionally done.

“Do you want to lie down?” when she said nothing again he almost leaned over to help her shift the chair back.

“Just drive,” she breathed and reached for the seatbelt. Once it clicked he stepped on the accelerator.

Silence continued to fill the car as the hours went by. He hated how guilty he felt over tossing the perfectly good medicine yesterday. He didn’t think she was this ill. Honestly he thought she looked perfectly healthy.

When they arrived in the next city he pulled up to a 24 hour convenience store and turned the engine off. Namjoo still had her face turned away from him after refusing to go to sleep.

“Come out.” He said after stepping out.

“I don’t want to.”

Growing irritated with why she had to be so stubborn with his good intentions he threatened, “Either you come out or I drag you out. What do you want?”

Kai stood there watching, challenging her string of patience. After half a minute she fiercely unbuckled her seatbelt and stepped out. Without waiting for her he walked into the convenience store and turned back to see her coming in after him. Pleased, he started down the aisle in search of some microwaveable food and medicine. After a few minutes of waiting for the food he led Namjoo over to an indoor counter, placed the food, warm water, and aspirin in front of her.

“Eat before you take your medicine.” He directed.

Namjoo sat there silently, exuding an aura of heavy distress.

“Do you want me to feed you?” he threatened and watched her slam her hand down on the wooden chopsticks. “That’s what I thought.”

Ignoring his antics she began gobbling down on the noodles slowly then faster until its contents were drained. Snatching the aspirin and water bottle she walked out of the store with no thanks. Then they were back on the dark lonely road void of any traffic. In just an hour Namjoo had fallen asleep.

\\\\\

When Namjoo woke up she was leaning against the window but there was also something between her head and the barrier. Sitting up she watched the folded jacket drop next to her and glanced over at Kai. Tossing the jacket in between them she rubbed her eyes and stared out at the business buildings they were passing.

They were finally back in Seoul.

It was about 1AM when they finally arrived at Choonhee’s home. Turning the car engine off Kai released his seatbelt.

“Forget it, I’ll go in by myself,” she muttered even though she didn’t want to talk with him.

Ignoring her he opened the back door and pulled her bag out, “I’m not doing it for you.”

She glared and watched him climb up the steps to Choonhee’s home. Biting her lower lip, feeling pushed into the corner she followed him up. To much of her surprise Choonhee’s mother was the one who opened the door.

“I was wondering if you’d ever bring Choonhee home.” Eungi teased. “Come in. Are you hungry?”

“No, we’re fine.” Kai replied on her behalf as they walked down the hall.

Just the sight of them made Namjoo’s heart heavy. Were they so happy when she was so miserable?

“Ah…mother, I have something to announce,” Kai paused and set her bag down before turning back to look at her. With a smile he grabbed her hand, pulling her toward him. Then proudly showed Eungi the new ring on her finger, “Choonhee and I have decided to move up the wedding date. We want to get married next month.”

Another large boulder landed above her head and she immediately cried out, “No! That’s not true! I’m not getting married! He’s lying!”

Maintaining his smile Kai excused, “We had a disagreement on the way home. Sorry for the inconvenience. Can I talk to Choonhee privately for a moment?”

“Oh, yes, definitely. You two go sort things out. I wouldn’t want my son-in-law to be upset when he goes home.” Eungi smiled sweetly at him then turned to her urging, “Go on, Choonhee.”

Namjoo barely opened to retort before Kai led her down the hall to a quiet room and closed the door. Pulling away with an aggravated cry Namjoo turned to scream at him. “Why are you doing this to me?! I don’t want to marry you!”

With the smile now gone, Kai stared at her with business eyes and neared her in two steps. “Then who do you want?”

Namjoo stared up at him, trying not to let the better of her emotions seep to the surface, let the tears run down. But she couldn’t help it. She was angry, sad, and helpless. She didn’t know what to do. This was unfair.

“That’s right,” he breathed leaning back, “you can’t marry anyone else, but me. Why? Our parents wanted it that way. It was designed to be like this. The faster we have the wedding, the sooner everything will be over with. A less painful process, don’t you agree?”

Her lower lips trembled angrily. “When I first met you, I thought you were a good person. Now you’re worse than a jerk. I can’t like you even if I try.”

His brows twitched but he didn’t let any other expression onto his face. “Don’t think your tricks to beg me will work now. I’m done being nice. Just get ready to say goodbye to your life. Kim Namjoo.”

Swiveling around he walked out of the room closing the door after him. As she turned away from the door a tear slid down her face. Through the door she recognized the muffled voices of him bidding farewell to Choonhee’s mother. Filled with anguish Namjoo smoothed her hands up her face and into her hair with a deep breath.

She was scared the sudden happiness that came to her in the middle of the night was going to be taken away. She really wanted it. She wanted something for the first time and it hurt to know she might lose it like she lost everything else. The fear had never been so real.

The click of the door opening eased panic into her and she quickly wiped her tears away.

“What are you doing?” Choonhee’s mother questioned behind her.

“Nothing,” Namjoo turned around. “About what Kai said…”

“I know! I’m so happy for you, darling,” Eungi smiled sincerely and grabbed her hand to observe the ring. “Let me look. Oh my, he does know how to choose even jewelry. It’s perfect! Just wait till your father hears about the news tomorrow. Our Choonhee is getting married!”

She sounded as if she was really talking to her but Namjoo knew it was not her that mattered but the name she was wearing around her neck.

“About that…” Namjoo slowly slid her hand away from her grasp. “We never agreed to move the wedding. Actually, I think the wedding is a mistake.”

The sweetness that Eungi had come with quickly dispersed and when Namjoo looked up at the woman found heat in her eyes.

“What are you saying? The wedding must happen!”

“No, I…” Namjoo started only to feel a sting zip across her face and listened to the woman breathe heavily with resolute rage.

“No. Don’t be a fool,” she hissed. “Under my house, what I say goes. Don’t you try to take away the happiness in this house. Choonhee. You must be tired. Go wash up and sleep. You will have a long day tomorrow.” 

Stunned with disbelief Namjoo listened to the woman walk out before crumbling down to the floor in loss. This was a mess. How was everything such a mess?

\\\\\

“I haven’t seen you in a while,” Kai called out the next morning, watching Hayoung turn from the top of the stairs to look back at him. Climbing up the flight of stairs to stand on par with her he smiled as he grabbed the doorknob, “You’ll have some interesting news waiting for you this morning. So do be nice to Namjoo, will you?”

Hayoung frowned after him then followed.

“Hayoung! What a surprise!” Choonhee’s father greeted her when they walked in. “Come sit down, Kai. Choonhee’s not down yet. Would you like to join us for breakfast, Hayoung?”

“No, I’m fine.” Hayoung shook her head. “I just came to pass over some documents, they’re copies of the official contracts we made with the printing the supervisor of printings under you.”

“Is that so?” the old man smiled then reached for the orange envelope she passed over.

“President, you’re looking very happy this morning,” Hayoung noted. “Did something good happen?”

“Of course!” Eungi walked in and gave her a touch on the shoulder as she passed. Then sliding into her seat announced with a smile at Kai, “The wedding has been moved.”

“It has?” she repeated then glanced down at Kai who made sure to offer a beaming grin in turn.

“Yes,” Eungi stated, “it’ll be held next month.”

Hayoung’s brow rose. “Isn’t that too fast? I mean, will there be enough time for preparations?”

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” Eungi waved her hand as if she’d said something ridiculous. “I’m sure Kai’s mother is already planning ahead of us.”

Hayoung listened to her giggle happily before turning to see Namjoo coming down the stairs. The displeasure in her face was obvious when their eyes met. As she neared Hayoung made sure to offer her congratulations, of course with a deep smile.

“Congratulations,” Hayoung said. “Your marriage will be blessed.”

Namjoo looked away uncomfortably before moving away to sit down, like the prisoner she’d become under this household. The biggest irony was that Hayoung hadn’t done it herself. Yet, everything was still going to work out. There was no backing out of a wedding just weeks ahead. Namjoo and Kai were really going to tie the knot. This was too real to be true.

Pulling on another eccentric smile, Hayoung turned to Choonhee’s parents, “I have other errands to run, so I must get going. Congratulations again. Kai and,” she glanced at Namjoo who refused to turn, “Choonhee.”

\\\\\

This week was one of the worst she’d had so far. Namjoo didn’t want to wake up, even if she barely slept last night. She watched as the company building dreadfully came into view and a matter of seconds the car turned into the parking lot.

The damn merge had started everything. Namjoo wanted to hijack it with an airplane…anything.

“Good morning,” she heard a voice greet and turned to see Sehun walking away from his car toward them. Without her own control her heart leapt and a slight feeling of hope made her tremor.

So handsome he was like the sun obliterating her view. Namjoo couldn’t help the smile climbing onto her face and tried to hide it when Kai turned to shoot her a watchful glance.

“We don’t usually run into each other here,” Kai commented then a corner of his lips upped.

The three turned naturally as they started toward the building together. Namjoo watched Sehun clutch his hands behind him, as if offering it for her to secretly hold. While the two men conversed Namjoo’s eyes glued themselves onto his profile and sunk into the bliss fizzling through her. Just having him near made her feel a sense of joy.

Then they finally stepped into the elevator together where she shifted to stand beside Kai. In no time they would have to separate and she wouldn’t be able to see him for the rest of the day. The thought made her heart sink into a deep pit. Namjoo lightly jumped when something jabbed her from behind and discreetly glanced to her left to discover Sehun’s outstretched arm, reaching over Kai’s back.

She shot Kai a quick glance to find him focused silently on the doors. Holding her hand back she felt Sehun push a piece of paper into her hands and just as the doors opened quickly clamped her hand up into a fist to protect their secret. Namjoo turned just in time to see Kai giving her a once over before walking out. Waiting no second she hurried after him to keep his suspicion at bay, and while following Kai turned around to find Sehun cutely waving to her.

Simply happy beyond words Namjoo pursed her lips while trying to prevent her grin from becoming any more obvious. That piece of paper inside her hand was something Sehun just recently touched. Realizing it made her gush uncontrollably.

Kai suddenly let out a shout when she stumbled into him from behind and turned around to look at her. Quickly straightening up Namjoo lowered her head.

“Be careful,” he muttered after looking at her with a slight frown.

“Oh…uh…yea. I’m sorry,” Namjoo nodded and carefully lifted her head up to see him entering the publishing department.

Sighing to herself she followed him and closed the door to his office. She prayed he would have a meeting to go to, something that would keep him cooped up for so long he had to miss lunch with her. Cause for god knows, she didn’t want to eat with him.

Namjoo listened to him sit into his ultra comfortable leather chair and immediately turn to his documents, expecting her to get in her corner and study. Sitting down Namjoo pulled the book on the coffee table into her lap and stole another cautious glance his way. Then opening the book drifted her hand over the pages barely in her focus before dropping the note received from Sehun.

“Lets meet at 10:00. Second floor.” 


***The moment Namjoo begins crumbling bc she's so upset :(