Into the Corner

One of Us - The Story

Silent, Namjoo averted her eyes refusing to answer. Sehun would get in trouble with the adults, especially his father. His position at the company might get harmed. Oh god…

“Honey,” he called out, “call Eun Chae and see where her son has been.” Then his eyes landed back on her.

Namjoo shook her head, “Please, please don’t.”

“Don’t?” he repeated. “Don’t what?”

If she spoke she would give Sehun away but what if…what if Eungi did call Eun Chae and found out Sehun wasn’t home during the weekend?

In the end, Namjoo shook her head again.

The man scoffed, “Have I warned you not to act on your own? Or have I not, Choonhee?”

Her breath shaky she shook her head, “No…I’m not. I’m not Choonhee.”

His eyes grew menacing before he slapped her again.

Gritting her teeth as tears slipped Namjoo looked up at him with fury, “No! I’m not! And I won’t get married! I won’t do it! You’re not her parents! You don’t love her! You never did! I’m not getting married! I’m not Choonhee!”

He raised his hand again and Namjoo immediately cowered. He grunted angry and pulled a phone out of his pocket. Namjoo listened as her body wept in both fear and loss, but she was angry too and it was driving her to impulses. She wasn’t thinking straight but she didn’t think she regretted it either.

“Ah…is this the police station?” the man asked.

Namjoo’s heart raced. She panicked. As he talked she only shook her head.

“No…no…” she breathed. She didn’t deserve this. This was wasn’t fair. Why should she go to jail when she didn’t do anything? It wasn’t her fault she was Choonhee now. She hadn’t wanted to do it. She hadn’t. Not on her own accord. Not with her own will. “No…”

“Yes, I would like to turn someone in,” Lee Kwan continued.

Her life would shatter. She couldn’t imagine how Sehun would look at her when she ended up in jail. She didn’t want to stop seeing him, even if she had to look from afar.

“There is a criminal in my house. An imposter…”

“No!” Namjoo dropped to her knees and sobbed, pleading as she grabbed onto his leg. “Please don’t.” the cry of a hurt child wailed through as tears fell like rain. Shaking her head she cried, “I’m Choonhee. I’m Choonhee!”

“No. Of course not. I’m sorry. There’s been a misunderstanding. Yes, thank you.” The elder hung up and shook her off. Namjoo’s hands landed on the ground and she heard him grumble, “Despicable.” Turning back to his wife he said, “I need to change before we head out.”

Then he walked away, leaving her there shamefully. Once the door closed and he was gone Eungi’s pretty heels appeared before her eyes.

“Go up to your room and get dressed. We’re having dinner with the Kim’s.” then she too, left her there.

\\\\\

After making it to the solace of Choonhee’s room Namjoo didn’t go anywhere but sat on the bed trying to calm down, only it didn’t help. Her cheek burned and she was still crying. She was bitter. She felt no less than an animal. And again, she couldn’t stop the wedding. Anger filled her. She couldn’t do anything. She was never going to be able to do anything for herself, because she had no power and everyone around her did.

Then the door opened and Hayoung appeared with a makeup bag. She took a silent glance at her before stepping in and closed the door after her. Without a word the so-called friend walked over and sat down on the bed with her.

“I heard you’re going to dinner,” Hayoung said, “but they wanted me to do your makeup.”

Namjoo turned away pissed off but was unable to unleash it. ping the bag Hayoung pulled out brushes and foundation. She felt the woman gently touch her face and cried harder. In the end, all she could do was sit there and grit her teeth.

“Can you stop crying?” she asked. “Your tears are ruining your makeup.” She sighed after a moment. “Look, you did this to yourself. No one, but you.”

It was unfair. Why was this happening to her?

\\\\\

After about an hour or two she was dragged out regardless of how puffy her eyes had gotten or how red her eyes were. She was warned to sit there, be polite, and act happy just the way their daughter would.

Hayoung’s work had done wonders. The bruise and red on her cheek were concealed under thick makeup. Loss of hope and depressed, she forced herself to walk in after the two parents ignoring how Kai’s parents happily and warmly greeted them.

“We missed you yesterday Choonhee,” Seulgi said. “How did it go yesterday? Did your friend give birth well?”

With lids lowered Namjoo ignored the woman out of spite and grabbed her cold glass of water, gulping it down. A second later it heaved back up and covering , pushed the chair back before rushing toward the bathroom while listening to the adults murmur confused behind her.

Namjoo threw up that morning’s breakfast along with the water she just had. The acid burned as it came through and drying unstably walked over to the sink. Glancing into the mirror found her eyes swollen red despite how pretty the makeup made her. She looked sick, madly ill.

Breathing loudly with a cry she found tears flooding down her face again. She was so angry she didn’t know what to do. Covering her eyes she clenched her teeth to hold back her painful heartbroken sobs and felt her chest heavily heave up and down as she fought to control her breathing.

After about ten minutes she stumbled back out of the bathroom thinking to escape to who knows where. Only that voice stopped her.

“Are you still sick?” it was Kai. He took a step toward her, “Are you not well?”

“You ruined everything,” she muttered bitterly underneath her breath. Then turning to him, “Are you happy now?”

“What?” he frowned.

Feeling weak Namjoo stumbled back into the wall and felt his hands on her as he tried catching her. Touching her forehead to regather her strength she ordered, “Tell them I’m sick and you want to take me home.”

He frowned again but gave in. “Alright.”

\\\\\

Lee Kwan watched as Kai excused himself to go after Choonhee then with a ed laugh, agreeing with whatever Sungsik just said nodded.

“Now that we’re talking business,” he said, “does Sanghyuk’s son really have to be Vice CEO? Shouldn’t your own son be in his place instead?”

“Why would you say that? The merge is doing quite well thanks to Sehun.” Sungsik happily mentioned. “We’ve gotten a lot of contracts this year.”

“Is that so?” Lee Kwan asked. “But you don’t plan to keep him there forever?”

“Who? Sehun?” Sungsik asked. “Well…we’ll have to see how he does.”

Realizing the man didn’t understand the meaning behind his words he leaned over. “Actually, I think we should keep Sehun under control a while longer. At least until Kai and Choonhee get married.”

Sungsik turned to him with raised brows. “Why, what do you mean?”

“Do you understand what will happen if Sehun snatches my daughter away from your son?” Lee Kwan whispered and watched the shimmer of amusement die in Sungsik’s eyes. “Tell Sanghyuk to keep his son locked up until the wedding.”

\\\\\

“Yes, yes. I understand. I’ll do just that,” Sehun heard his father talk into the phone as he walked into the kitchen for dinner. The table was filled with hearty dishes but none as hearty as the food he’d shared with Namjoo.

Sitting down he scooted his chair in, recalling how Namjoo had sat just beside him not too long ago. A silent grin appeared on his face before realizing his father was staring.

“The food looks good,” Sehun commented.

“Sehun-ah,” his mother came over and sat down, “did you do something this weekend?”

“Why?” Sehun asked. “You’re suddenly curious about my life.” Smiling innocently he picked up his utensils and started stuffing himself.

“Sehun,” his father spoke up. “Hand over your cell phone, your keys, and your car.”

 “What?” he asked, shocked.

“From now on the driver will take you to work and back. If you don’t have business, don’t leave the house.” The old man commanded.

“What?!” he asked again. “Father, we don’t even have a driver.”

“I’ll hire one starting tomorrow,” his father said. “Remember to collect the keys and phone from him,” Sanghyuk told his wife before getting up to walk away with Sehun staring wide-eyed after him.

What in the world was happening? What the hell was this?

“Mother, what’s going on?” Sehun questioned, appalled.

“I don’t know,” the woman shook her head, “but you heard him. You know I can’t go against him.”

Sehun’s jaw dropped. “No. Not my phone. I’m waiting for a call.”

The woman shook her head, her eyes filled with an apologetic gaze. “I’m sorry, son.”

\\\\\

Namjoo spent the rest of the evening sobbing as she scrubbed the makeup off, crying into the night as grew hoarse and her mind whirled. When she awoke she was burning with a fever.

\\\\\

Two days and Namjoo still hadn’t come to work. Tomorrow was her birthday. Was she planning to stay in bed until then?

Glancing up from his desk his eyes landed on the empty couch, the books on the table untouched. Namjoo was supposed to be here studying, but she wasn’t. It hurt his ears that he was unable to hear her scribbling in the book, even if she was just doodling.

Finally leaning over he pressed the button for his secretary, “I’m heading out early for lunch.”

Within a few minutes he on the road headed toward Choonhee’s. It was one of the house cleaners who opened the door for him. Walking around showed him no sight of Namjoo. Then he found Auntie Shin at the back of the house going through some stored foods.

“Is Choonhee still in bed?” Kai asked.

“Oh, Kai, you’re here?” the woman greeted.

“Choonhee.” Kai reminded.

“Ah…yes.”

“Is she…really sick?”

“It seems so. She hasn’t gotten out of bed at all.” The woman said. “She hasn’t been eating either. The madam said to leave her be, but I’m worried. Choonhee’s never been this sick before.”

Kai felt a knife impale his heart. “Is there something I can bring her in the kitchen?”

The elder nodded. “There’s some porridge. You might have to reheat it.”

“Alright. I can do that,” he nodded before hurrying away.

Working the stove wasn’t much of a task for him. It was self-explanatory even though he’d never simply laid hands on one before. Within a few minutes the porridge was boiling and scooping it up into a bowl he grabbed a spoon and found a tray before he was up the stairs.

Damn Namjoo. Why was she starving herself when she was already so thin?

Pausing in front of her door he knocked and waited then opened the door. The lights were off and the curtains were closed but he could see Namjoo lying on the bed with her back to the door. She did look asleep from where he stood.

Closing the door he quietly walked in and set the tray onto the nearby desk. Then leaning over he peered down to see Namjoo awake, yet her eyes remained glued into space.

“If you’re up you should get up to eat something,” he straightened up. “I heated up some porridge, so get up and eat.”

She didn’t move.

“Namjoo.”

No reply.

“What are you doing?” he asked. He sighed trying to keep from being impatient with her. “You won’t get better if you don’t eat something. Do you want to die?”

Realizing what he said he silenced and closed his eyes for thought. Sighing again he leaned over, this time to touch her forehead. She was hot and burning.

Appalled he straightened up again, “Namjoo, get up. You need to have some food and eat some medicine.”

He grabbed her arm but she pulled it away. He did it again and she weakly struggled with him. This time as she sat up her fist flailed against the side of his face shoving him back. Bewildered, he stood there almost angry that she was again stubbornly denying his kind intentions. Then when he looked at her he spotted that bruise on her cheek, the marks of strong fingers still there. His frustration immediately dissipated but another kind of anger warped through him.

“Who did that to you?” he breathed. She moved her angry eyes away from him. Biting his lower lip he asked again, “I asked who did that you!”

“You!” she screamed turning to him with bulging eyes. “You did it!”

He stared at her struck and eyes wide.

Turning away she ordered, “Go away.”

She turned to lie down again but he hurried forth and grabbed her arms. Namjoo fought against him again, chucking her arms out at him and he let her hit him since she was already so weak anyway. Then finally restraining her hands stared her hard in the eyes.

“If you want to fight me, do it after you eat something,” he hissed. He waited a moment for her give up her fight then grabbed the tray and placed it on the bed. Namjoo turned her head away. Holding back his sigh he grabbed the spoon and held it up, “Do you want me to force feed you or do you want to do it yourself?”

When Namjoo didn’t react he held it up to her closed mouth, trying to pry open. Namjoo tried turning but whichever way she did he followed. In the end, she threw her hand out to shove it away only to cause the hot porridge to pour over her lower arm. He watched her wince at the burn and finally sighed. Putting the spoon back into the bowl he grabbed her arm and wiped the porridge off with his sleeve.

The moment of silence that followed made the air feel nice but when he looked up Namjoo turned away again. Then shoving his hand away grabbed the bowl, shifted away from him, and finally began eating. The undeniable smile on his face filled with relief.

After she downed the bowl he took the tray along with it, “I’ll tell Auntie Shin to get you some medicine.”

It was when he turned around to leave did she speak again. “I was with Sehun this weekend.”

He halted, his grip grew tight on the tray.

“Why are you doing this to me?” he heard her cry and turned to see her eyes lubricated with tear glands. “I can’t imagine marrying you. I don’t know you. I don’t love you. Isn’t it about two people who happily want to spend the rest of their lives together? I can’t understand it. Why me? You have all you need, you have everything! Is it the money? Are you that desperate? Why?”

Looking away from her he muttered, “It is and it isn’t.”

Namjoo breathed loudly and shakily. “You’re crazy.”

“I think I am.” He muttered again.

When he glanced up again he saw her tears flowing. Filled with sympathy for her he set placed the tray down on the desk and pulled the chair out to sit. Did she despise him to such an extent?

“Namjoo,” he softly said, “I said it, when we get married I won’t treat you bad. You can live comfortably, however you want.”

She breathed loudly again and cried harder, pressing her face into her hand. Seeing her do so plunged the knife already in his heart deeper.

“Why didn’t you want Choonhee?” she cried. “She died with the baby.”

Kai pressed his lips firmly together taken by the news but less impacted by it than he imagined. He let the silence drift among them and let her cry it out, listening to her.

“I didn’t love her.” 


*** ;;

***You can expect double updates from now on since I have so many drafts up. I'm almost completed with the story. Ok, and I teared up writing haha