Mice

One of Us - The Story

“Who are you really asking?” remaining stoic, Sehun reversed the question. “You or me?”

Her brow twitched and she gritted her teeth.

“I’ll take Choonhee back from Kai.” Hayoung looked at him with incredulity. “That was your plan for me, wasn’t it?”

Everything inside her twisted up and Hayoung found her hands transitioning into tight fists on her lap. She didn’t want Sehun to see her losing her cool, because she didn’t want him to think she was feeble. It was clear that she already looked low in his eyes.

She hated it.

“I’m leaving,” he told her then got up and walked out. Her burning eyes trailed after him and sure that he was already on the road, stomped out with her ice coffee. As she started toward her car she dialed for Kai.

\\\\\

Namjoo watched Hayoung’s car disappear down the road and quickly pulled out her phone. Without haste, she found Tao’s name. It was only when the phone started ringing that she began panicking. She hadn’t decided what to say to him.

“Choonhee,” Tao picked up.

“Ah…” Namjoo grew nervous, “um…” she fidgeted with her fingers while Tao waited for her to go on. Then she finally breathed, “Are you busy?”

“No. What’s up?”

“I…I was wondering if we could talk.”

“Did something happen?” he asked worriedly.

“No, no,” she quickly assured, “it’s just…I just want to talk about a few things.”

“Sure,” Tao replied. “Where should we meet?”

Lifting her thumb up to her lips she chewed on her nail. She didn’t know. What kind of places did Choonhee and Tao frequent together?

“Then,” Tao said after she didn’t answer, “lets meet at the usual.”

The usual…

Namjoo nervously laughed, “That…where is that?”

\\\\\

A side road noodle restaurant in the shabbiest part of Seoul was Choonhee and Tao’s ‘usual’ meeting place. Totally out of the ordinary and totally unexpected. Namjoo would have never imagined that a rich girl would dare come to such a cheap area, where garbage littered every corner and piled up under every street light. The area reeked of spoiled foods, the shops all worn down with age, and shop owners, however much they made, were unable to handle the cost of repairs.

This part of the neighborhood was where children were unable to attend school or even afford some sweet candy; the ignored part of the capital, where the living who struggled to make money gathered. This area would always be underdeveloped. No matter how many times the sun shone, the dreary neighborhood appeared gloomy and depressed. The rain was always falling in this part of the world, but it was also where the strongest people called home.

Namjoo never frequented this area, not even before she became Choonhee. This part of the city was too dispirited for her to carry on her days. Stealing from the poor made her feel even worse than pick pocketing an unaware person. Just looking at the ugly shacks grouped together made her heart heavy. The windows were so dirty she could barely see what was inside.

Turning around the corner and walked passed a white wall filled with children’s drawings and scribbles. Up ahead she spotted Tao sitting at an old table just outside a tiny restaurant, smoke flowing out the open window dissipating into the air out back. The windows were glazed and appeared like false glass. The open brown door looked weak against the wind. A meal probably cost somewhere under six bucks, Namjoo imagined, and even she wouldn’t have been able to afford that as Kim Namjoo.

Swallowing, she walked toward him.

“You’re here?” he greeted her. “Are you hungry? I can get you something to eat.”

“Oh…no, it’s ok.” Namjoo quickly refused, wondering if he even had enough cash to spare for himself.  

He nodded in understanding. Silence flowed between them while Namjoo tried to figure out how to formulate her questions.

“I saw the papers,” Tao started. “You decided to go to the opening after all.”

“Oh…” Namjoo nodded, “I did.”

Then she thought about how Sehun had dragged her into the building and kissed her, giving her a warning about showing up. No one but Kai had seemed to sincerely want her to attend the opening ceremony.

“Say,” Namjoo said, “is there a reason why I shouldn’t have gone?”

“Shouldn’t you start to realize it already?” Tao asked. “Choonhee, let me ask you something. Are you really happy? You gave up what you loved most to do something you never enjoyed. You could have had a whole world doing what you love. Why did you suddenly decide to do it?”

Namjoo stared at him, her lips hesitating to make movement.

“I’m sorry,” Tao quickly apologized. He quickly looked down in order to avoid her eyes then lifted his head back up. After his dry lips he continued, “I’m very worried for you, Choonhee. You know you have nothing to gain out of this. I just…I can’t understand what you’re thinking. Is someone…threatening you?”

“What?” Namjoo gasped. She suddenly felt mind blown, that having been one of the very last things she would have imagined.

Had someone threatened Choonhee?

“Choon…” quickly catching herself she shook her head, “I mean…so I did give up my piano in order to join the company?”

Tao blinked then nodded. “Why are you asking me?”

Namjoo broke out into a laugh to shake off any oncoming confusion, afraid that Tao might catch on much quicker than the others. “It’s just…I’m having memory problems.” She continued to laugh before suddenly quieting and bit her lower lip.

“Are you ok?” his voice was so full of worry she could sense the depth of his feelings for the dead Choonhee.

Namjoo readied to answer but her mind blanked when Tao leaned over and pressed his hand against her forehead. Warmth flushed through her body and she stared at him, catching his dark eyes.

“Do you have a cold?” he wondered, sitting back.

Suddenly flustered Namjoo looked away. Gulping and clearing she stuttered, “Of…of course not. I’m fine!”

“That’s good.” He smiled. “Are you sure you’re not hungry?”

“No.” she said quietly, unable to look at him anymore. Her heart thumped. The rest of the time she sat with him there, listening to him complain about someone she didn’t know feeling like she was walking on air.

She couldn’t think about what she wanted to know anymore. Anything about Choonhee disappeared. Her thoughts were as jumbled as broken glass.

\\\\\

The meeting went as expected. Lighthearted as ever, Kai started toward his car but paused in step when his phone went off. Pulling it out of his jacket he saw Hayoung’s name flashing on the screen.

“Oh, Hayoung,” he answered.

“Where are you?”

“I just got out of a meeting.”

“Is that so? How’d it go?”

“Pretty good.”

“Since the meeting is over, I suppose you have some time?”

Unlocking his car door he pulled it open, “I suppose I do.”

“Good. Lets meet up.”

Kai raised an eyebrow, curious about what Hayoung would want from him. “Alright.”

Once on the road, he couldn’t figure out what Hayoung was up to. It wasn’t ordinary for her to call him out of the blue, not unless she intended to invite Choonhee and Sehun along somewhere. Lately she’d been a busy bee around Choonhee and her parents that he didn’t quite hear much of her.

A few minutes later he pulled into the parking lot of an ice cream shop and spotted her sitting outside at a table with sunglasses on. She had an ice cream cone in hand, appearing as a free spirit. Hayoung waved with a wide smile when he walked over and sat down.

“What’s going on?” he wondered.

“Not much,” she replied. Gesturing her head toward the shop she asked, “You want some ice cream? They have a variety of really good stuff in there.”

“I’ll pass.” He said.

“Well, suit yourself,” Hayoung said.

Kai glanced around running his eyes over the traffic behind the store and the other few people enjoying themselves around them. Through the glass door he spotted a line of people at the counter ready to pay for their sweets. There seemed to be more children and young teens than adults.

“I heard,” Hayoung caught his attention back, “that you’re planning to get engaged with Choonhee.”

He ran his eyes over her carefree appearance, elbow propped up against the table with head against her hand. She observed him both playfully and mischievously.

The engagement was supposed to be only between him and his parents…at least for now. He didn’t think anyone else was supposed to know.

Without denying it he confidently replied, “I am.”

“Is Choonhee aware of it?”

“No.”

Hayoung’s lips split apart and she lightly tossed her head back to nod in understanding. Something about it annoyed him but he didn’t voice it.

“Do you think Choonhee will immediately agree to it?”

“What exactly do you want, Hayoung?” Kai didn’t withhold from being direct. “If you want something, just say it.”

Pressing her lips together she arched her brow coyly. Then placing the ice cream cone onto the table she took off her sunglasses, gently folded them up, and set them down. With an arm leaning against the tabletop she eyed him, a smile on her lips. She looked as if she was playing some game she was enjoying.

He wanted her to lose.

“I’m thinking, Choonhee will do the opposite.” He hardened his eyes, no longer patient.

“I’m leaving.”

“So quickly?” Hayoung asked innocent. Then she stated, sounding irate, “Just like Sehun.”

His eyes landed back on her.

Hayoung shrugged and focused her eyes on the finger she was drawing a circle with on the table. “What if I tell you that Sehun says he wants her back?”

Kai bit his tongue.

“You know Choonhee did like him, even if for a while.” Hayoung reminded. “You know he’s quite a charming guy. Aren’t you worried Choonhee’s heart will change if he starts being nice to her again?”

Silence took him over and he couldn’t’ help but glare at her for saying this to him.

“So I’m saying,” Hayoung went on, “I can help you convince Choonhee. I’ll help you make the engagement happen. We are friends after all. Well,” Hayoung stood, “when it comes down to it and you need my help, just say it and I’ll be your aid.”

Lightly gritting his teeth he listened to her walk away and stared at the abandoned ice cream cone.

\\\\\

Namjoo found herself burying her head underneath the pillow and kicking her legs about, angry at herself for not digging up more information. The one reason why she had met Tao was to learn more about Choonhee’s life! But goddamn, she’d gotten nowhere!

With face muffled against her sheets she let out a mute scream and groaned. She spent the entire night droning over the failure before morning came and she was at the breakfast table. In a few hours she’d be going to work for the very first time as Lee Choonhee. She could already imagine how horrid everything would be. Everyone would expect something out of her, because duh, Lee Choonhee had standards to meet.

The stress made her insides scream.     

“Don’t be so nervous,” Eungi comforted with her soothing voice. “You’ll have Kai with you.”

“Just be careful not to mess up,” Choonhee’s father cautioned. “It’ll be embarrassing for the company, as well as your parents. Do you understand?”

“Yes.” Namjoo answered with a sigh.

Right after breakfast Kai was at the door looking bright and striking. His smile made her heart flutter and for a moment, forget about all her worries.

\\\\\

“Don’t tell me,” Kai spoke from behind the wheel, “that you’re nervous?”

“You read my mind.” Namjoo answered with a tinge of anxiety to her voice. It was obvious no matter how she hid it, she decided. Business work was totally not for her either – finally, something to have in common with her dead twin.

“You’ll be alright. I’m here.” He helped.

Namjoo glanced over at him, her heart picking up pace by the second. God, why was he so nice?

Her first day of work consisted of being greeted by other employees as they walked into the building together and rode the elevator up. Kai’s publishing team had its own depart; a spacious room with cubicles, each one with a wide desk and its own computer. The windows were wide and though the carpets were dark, the amount of sun made the room beam with a tranquil happiness.

Namjoo felt comfortable at the desk nearest the window and grinned with pleasure over her first ever computer. Before they all got down to work, Kai led them into a connected room down the hallway where they had an hour meeting about goals they were aiming for – and none of it she understood. She still sat there gladly and shyly smiling whenever Kai glanced at her.

He was so handsome that in the room with twenty other people her eyes ever laid eyes on. When they walked out after the meeting she felt him pat her on the shoulder and assure her that all would be well – it was only the first day after all. And God, being next to him made her melt in ways she didn’t think was acceptable.

“I’ll be back after another meeting. You’ll be fine,” he promised her before separating from her.

Shortly after returning to her desk she was approached by a colleague, a pretty woman who didn’t look any older than her. She was dressed in a stylish blouse and a black skirt. Namjoo heated up neck down in panic when she was spoken to.

“You can do editing, right?” she questioned. “All I need you to do is read through these files and fix any typos you see. Will that be alright?”

“Oh…” Namjoo breathed anxiously. She wasn’t very good with editing. She hadn’t had that much schooling and even in classes offered at the orphanage, she’d barely paid attention.

Crap…

“Y…yes…” she mumbled with a nod and took the USB from the woman.

For the rest of the time she fidgeted over scrolling through the documents with her eyes burning and her head hurting. Each time she glanced up from her cubicle she could hear others typing furiously into their keyboards, the phone ringing, and footsteps softly moving around the room. Namjoo hadn’t realized that she didn’t know how to type as fast as the others – the one thing that would give her away. It felt weird to fit all ten of her fingers on the keyboard so like an elderly grandma learning how to type for the first time; she used her forefingers to punch in every letter.

That was that until the others called for her to have lunch. Ditching the computer happily she followed them out with all thoughts focused on food. At least it was supposed to be that way.

The second she stepped out of the department a hand grasped her arm, pulling her back. She turned to see none other than Sehun.

Namjoo about opened in protest, but he acted first. “Lets have lunch.”

Her brows furrowed. Catching a figure coming from around the figure she spotted Kai walking along with another man, a folder in his hand. Choonhee’s handsome admirer was smiling until he caught view of them. She watched him politely dismiss the other man before walking over to them; that smile still on his face but she could tell he wasn’t really smiling.

“What are you doing?” was he talking to her or to Sehun?

“We’re going to go for lunch,” Sehun stated. “And I didn’t ask, it’s an order from above.”

Namjoo watched the two stare at each other. They looked like two volleyball players, ready to jump for the ball.

Kai nodded then turned to her, “I was about to say the same thing.” Namjoo peered up into his deep orbs, her heart fluctuating as he stared at her. “Want to have lunch with me?”

A gasp bellowed out of her when Sehun tugged on her arm, “I think this is a first come first serve.”

Coolly ignoring him, Kai continued, “Choonhee, who would you rather have lunch with?”

Tension swirled into the air, like smoke. Uneasiness crept up her body. Tongue-tied, Namjoo glanced from one to the other. The shyness she’d felt for a split second immediately transitioned into being intimidated by these two men.

Why were they doing this to her? 


***If you think about it, Hayoung's actually smart with manipulating others to make things go the way she wants. She knows how to threaten Namjoo to keep her controlled and she knows how to steer both Sehun and Kai, pinning them against each other while making sure she will also get something out of being with them. 

***And ha, Namjoo has attraction to both Kai and Tao. But how long will it last?

***P.S. I have twitter again. Lets follow each other!