Coming to the Fore

One of Us - The Story

\\\\\

“You won’t say a word as we promised,” Sehun handed Auntie Shin a check of three-hundred-dollars outside.

“Yes.” The elderly woman nodded.

“If anyone gives her any trouble or anything happens, I’m the only one you should talk to.” Sehun told. “Do you understand?”

“Yes,” she nodded again.

“Alright. Go back in and make sure she gets some rest.”

He watched the old woman turn around to head back in and gave the house a once over before turning to head home. When he lay in bed that night he didn’t feel an ounce of exhaustion in his body nor did he want to sleep. He could still vividly recall how it felt, holding Namjoo tightly in his arms. And she hadn’t put up a fight with him.

A happy and helpless smile at the memory made him grin for minutes on end. She was so precious. If only he could do everything for her.

Turning onto his side to avoid the moonlight burning into his eyes, he wondered if she was thinking about him too. And if her heart was fluttering as much as his was. Goodness, he hadn’t felt so overwhelmed or crazed to this extent before. He was going to go mad.

\\\\\

Namjoo could still hear the gentleness of Sehun’s voice floating through her head, and her heart fluttered again. A smile grew onto her face as she grew sick over the thought of him again. She could feel ants climbing inside her stomach as that strange emotion of bashfulness and uncertainty clouded around her.

If Sehun didn’t hate her, then what was it? Did he pity her?

But he had hugged her so gently as if she was the most precious existence on earth. Namjoo shook her head. She was getting ahead of herself. Sehun had nothing on her and there was nothing about her for him to like.

She hated how she knew tonight she wouldn’t be getting any sleep again.

\\\\\

By the time they left for work Namjoo was already feeling drained and ready to knock out. If Kai could drive any slower she would really fall asleep.

“What’s wrong with you?” he asked. “Do you not sleep at home or something?”

Ignoring him she didn’t answer, instead switching her energy to focusing on keeping both eyes open.

“Do you want some coffee?”

“No. It tastes like death.” She muttered now rubbing her face.

He scoffed at her and pulled into the parking lot a few minutes later. When they headed into the lift Namjoo swore she was ready to slump over and give out. Only the presence that joined them in the elevator made her wake up. In no time she found herself glancing up at Sehun shyly. The tingles he’d given her yesterday were now zipping back through her body, flowing like electricity.    

What was wrong with her?

\\\\\

Kai would be stupid if Namjoo really thought he’d missed how she looked at Sehun that morning. Contempt filled him as they walked to his office. He’d be damned if Namjoo did like Sehun, because of all the advances he was trying to make on her.

Sitting down at his desk he said icily, “The board members want to have another gathering this Friday. If you disappear again like last time, you’re going to be on your own.”

He expected her to reply but she didn’t. Looking up he saw that she was starting to bury her head into the books he’d given her. For the first time it appeared as if she was really studying.

“Did you hear me?” he repeated himself.

Her eyes remained blank and lost. What the hell was she thinking about?

“Namjoo,” he grounded his voice even deeper this time.

“I heard you,” she replied, sounding annoyed.

“Are you good at drinking?” he asked.

Again, Namjoo gave no reply seeming lost in whatever was going through that thick head of hers.

“Namjoo,” he called again.

“What do you want?” she turned to look at him.

Kai frowned, irritated at her. “Forget it.” turning away he focused on his laptop, curious and wondering about what she seemed so cooped up about. Was it Sehun? She couldn’t possibly be thinking of him.

When he looked up again Namjoo was leaning back against the couch, leaning awkwardly to the side deep in sleep. Kai was urged to shake her awake to purposely annoy her but instead pressed an intercom button on his phone that connected directly to his secretary’s. “Find me a pillow and a blanket.”

A few minutes later the soft knock at the door had him getting up from his desk. Opening the door a crack he found his secretary on the other side, armed with what he’d asked for. Closing the door again he walked toward Namjoo feeling the most awkward he’d ever felt. Being nice and moving her to lay down made him shudder. In the end, he tossed the pillow down and the blanket over her waking her.

“Don’t think I keep you in here to do whatever you want,” he icily said. “Only for today, get some sleep. You look horrible.”

Immediately making way toward his desk he only looked up to find her settling down onto the couch, adjusting the blanket over her before falling back asleep. Goodness, what was wrong with him?

\\\\\

It turned out there really was a gathering initiated by the board members that Friday. Namjoo immediately felt like puking the second she thought about taking a shot.

After work when she followed Kai out of the office that day she begged, “Is it really important? If it’s not, can I not go?”

“What are you talking about?” he asked, leading her to his car.

“I can’t drink,” Namjoo said and watched him halt then turn to shoot her a glance.

“Looks like you have no chance but to hang in there,” turning away he started walking again. “Drinking is a necessity, and getting to know the board members, who really look forward to seeing you, is of great importance not only to your image, but mine, my parents, and yours.”

Namjoo stared at him in disbelief, “Well I don’t care.”

“If you don’t want to drink,” he turned to her when they reached his car, “I’ll only excuse you when we get married. Otherwise right now, there’s nothing I can do. Get in.”

Namjoo bit her lower lip, urged to kick his car but with Kai watching and waiting for her to get in after opening the door for her, she couldn’t do anything. They arrived at the bar and grill restaurant shortly after a few minutes. Namjoo recognized a few of those old faces who loudly greeted and called them over.

“Look at you two, going everywhere together,” one of them teased as they sat down.

On the table was already meat starting to cook on the grill with various side dishes laid out. Bottles of beer and soju were starting to fill up the empty spaces on the tables and shot glasses sat emptily, available for use.

“Why don’t we have the husband make a wrap for his wife?” an elderly suggested.

“What?” Namjoo barely gasped and turned to glance at Kai, quickly feeling uneasy. “No, it’s fine…”

“There’s no need to be shy. Everyone knows you’ll be getting married soon.” Another tempted. Namjoo became quickly stuffy at the thought before Kai suddenly grabbed a piece of lettuce and glanced at her.

“Then,” he said, “I’ll make one for my pretty wife.”

Her eyes slightly widened flabbergasted by him. As the men cheered Kai on Namjoo didn’t forget to show a pretentious smile.

“Here, eat up,” Namjoo’s eyes landed on the cabbage wrap, staring at it as if it was something obscene. A smile cropped up onto his face, urging her to eat. Conscious of the men watching Namjoo had no choice. Opening wide she let Kai, who she would have never thought of doing this with, feed her.

The men roared joyously. Pulling on a smile Namjoo leaned forward nodding, as if to acknowledge their encouragement. Then barely choked when someone suggested, “The wife should make one for her husband too.”

For such old people who should be lying in bed, why were they so energetic? Namjoo grumbled to herself. In order not to turn the atmosphere stiffly awkward because of her she had no choice but to play along. Grabbing a piece of lettuce Namjoo stuck some rice, grilled beef, and purposely placed an onion along with excessive red pepper before carefully wrapping it up.

Turning to Kai who looked back with the light of warning in his eyes, she smiled and said, “Open up, honey.”

Her insides jumped in joy when Kai nervously laughed and looked around. The grin on her face grew wider when he turned back to her. Tilting her head slightly with a nod for him to eat it, ready to see his face go red she felt him grab her hand and push slightly. Slightly narrowing her eyes she glanced at the elder men closely watching, wondering why the hell they were so interested anyway and fake laughed while shoving her hand toward him again.

The conflict in Kai’s eyes had her haughtily laughing inside before he tightened his grip on her hand. A split second later he abruptly ate it and chewed quickly. A red flush streaked his cheeks and Namjoo giggled childishly then quieted. He’d made her a nice wrap but she’d done the opposite. She couldn’t help but feel bad for her mean joke, seeing how his face split with pain.

She watched him noisily drain his cup of water and breathe deeply, as if it would help ward the hot sting in his mouth away. Grabbing the cup of water she hadn’t yet touched she slid it toward him.

“Here,” she muttered. “Drink it.”

While in the midst of gulping down the cup of water she offered one of the men whose hair was streaked with silver, passed over two shots of soju. “A drink from an elder.”

In due respect, Namjoo knew they weren’t allowed to refuse a drink, especially if it was from a white haired elder who was staring expectantly. She hesitated before reaching for the glass, but Kai leaned over blocking her.

“Choonhee isn’t feeling well, so I’ll take both of them. I hope you don’t mind,” Kai excused. Stunned by the unexpected, Namjoo turned to stare at Kai watching him take the drinks one after another. The other men roared over the manliness Kai was exuding for her, but they were distant voices as her eyes immersed in him.

What was he up to? Just earlier he’d told her there was no helping it, and now this?

The door opened and a wave of fresh air blew in. They turned to find Sehun standing at the doorway. She noted his eyes jogged over to her first before turning to greet the others. Instantly she began wondering if he’d seen her staring at Kai before coming in. Why did it have to matter and why was she feeling weird? Having the two of them around at the same time was such ill luck.

“I did you your favor, now you owe me,” she heard Kai whisper into her ear. Namjoo turned surprised and found him so near her forehead nearly brushed against his. When their eyes met he said, “The board members are watching. I don’t want gossip you’re having an affair. Don’t talk to Sehun.”

Moving away Kai turned to continue talking with the forty-something-year-old man in front of him. Suddenly feeling uneasy Namjoo quickly shifted her focus to the food to never mind the rest of the busybodies there. Only half an hour later it didn’t seem like eating had been such a good idea. She was as nauseous as if she’d drank.

The chatter continued noisily and one man after another continued to show up, expanding the tables and foods. Namjoo wasn’t sure how many times she’d gotten up to use the bathroom – had even tried to puke out the food she’d consumed unsuccessfully. When she returned Kai was still at the same table immersed in important talks with the elders. Instead of going back to sit by him she plopped down at an empty table. Lightly thumping her fist against her chest to relieve herself, Namjoo wished she could just up and leave.

“You ok?” she looked up to find Sehun sitting down in front of her. Cautious of Kai’s warning, she turned to see that he seemed to have forgotten her. “Did you drink?”

“No,” she muttered. “I don’t feel so good.”

“Come on,” was what he next said.

“What?” Namjoo looked up surprised and felt him take her hand. A second later she leapt over the table and after him.

It was dark now. City lights lit up the sky like pretty fireworks, a variation of colors dotting the sky like stars. Holding her hand firmly Sehun led her along, the two of them speed walking into the distance, crossing the street together. The fresh air helped relieve her somewhat nausea, but more than that her heart raced. He was holding her hand so delicately. This was surreal and she was lost.

\\\\\

Kai only let his eyes off Namjoo for a moment. The next she was gone. Excusing himself from the table he walked around the restaurant in search of her, even took to waiting in front of the ladies’ restroom for her. When she didn’t show up he returned to their tables, this time in search of Sehun.

Turned out he wasn’t there either. A boulder of irritation plunged down onto him. Namjoo surely wouldn’t have left on her own, he was certain of that.

What was Sehun up to?

\\\\\

Namjoo enjoyed the sensation of feeling like a free spirit. No one in the world would care who she was right now or where exactly it was she was going. Every driver and every person passing by had their own business to mind with not enough time to care for her. It was a supposedly clear night but very humid. Rain would start falling soon, for clouds were keeping stars at bay. And she still didn’t know where Sehun was taking her neither had he said a word.

As soon as she called it, a drop of rain splashed down onto her head. It started a slow drizzle, warm to the touch before it began splattering faster. His grip tightened around her hand as they walked faster. Within a few strides Sehun pulled her into a nearby phone booth, swinging her against the back of the booth. Namjoo first noticed how cramped they were, their bodies well glued together. Looking him right in the face was impossible. Heated tension swallowed her up, because it was clear she could feel every part of him. He could probably feel every part of her too.

Her eyes wavered to the side and thought her breathing suddenly became louder. Embarrassment clawed at her for being so self-conscious. It was then when he released her hand and slid it around her waist did she accidentally look up at him. Her temperature rose neck down, a bad reaction. On his face sat a calm, but pleased smile which made her heart turn.

Gulping, Namjoo rapidly fluttered her lids trying to merge into the glass. She about spoke but he dove in first lightly nibbling on her lips. The sensation was wonderful and shut her up well. Namjoo instinctively yearned for his breath again when he moved away. Something desperate in her clung onto him mentally, but she couldn’t allow herself to physically hold him.  

“I think I love you,” the words were nowhere near a whisper, but they weren’t so loudly said either.

In that suddenly moment all the noise in her head faded into voiceless echoes. She glanced up at him, both lost and confused feeling like she was wandering a blank space.

“I...from the first time I saw you, I loved you.”

The words stunned her. For a long time as the rain pounded on the glass she couldn’t think. A bullet had hit her in the head. Maybe she was drunk. This had to be a dream. If not, what could explain this sudden craziness?

“W…w…wait, Sehun,” she wouldn’t fight the denial crossing her mind. “No…this isn’t right. I think you’re confused.”

“So when I found out you weren’t Choonhee, I was happy,” he admitted, completely holding disregard for her feelings. “I mean it.”

The shock was so mind blowing Namjoo didn’t know how to react. Her lips fell further even more apart. She was speechless, dumbfounded, thunderstruck. Her heart and mind both stood at polar ends, with her heart sinking into sweet oblivion while her mind screamed denial.

His unoccupied hand her face intimately, making her sigh delightfully without her permission. His face brushed hers when he leaned in again, closing his eyes and kissed her again, ling her lips in the gentlest way possible. Unable to maintain control, her senses easily seduced, Namjoo kissed in return, the soft of his lips treating her like her like a sanctuary.

In the passing minute as his body crushed her against the glass Namjoo’s heart rammed against her chest fitfully. The truth was, she felt madly loved and cared for…for perhaps the very first time in her life – something she wasn’t privileged to.

And it was a strange feeling, which lasted only a second. The rush of Choonhee’s hectic life immediately smashed her in the head. This wasn’t right. This shouldn’t be happening.

Easing her hand up his chest she succeeded in pushing him away. Namjoo gasped for air, her body crying in regret. She’d left Kai. She wasn’t supposed to leave. She was going to be in trouble.

Turning her face to the side she said, “I want to go home.”