Wreck Havoc

One of Us - The Story

\\\\\

Sehun spent the entire weekend drowning in liquor and beer until he was senseless and intoxicated.

When he woke up the following morning he was in the hospital.

“Are you ok? I thought we lost you!” his mother cried from his bedside, but he was immune to her tears and sobbing pain. His own had already been too much for him to handle.

He missed Namjoo.

Yesterday she got married. Was probably sharing a bed happily and cozily with Kai. That person shouldn’t be there. It should be him. They were meant to be because he loved her and she loved him.

It was supposed to be that way.

Sehun never felt so lifeless before. Nothing mattered and he didn’t care about anyone or anything. Namjoo was living a lie.

And again, the question: How could she do this to him?

He drove all the way to Busan just to see her in the middle of the night. Everything had been ok since then, because he knew she was having a hard time. And probably still was. Even if all hope seemed lost for her, he wasn’t there yet. He knew she was still waiting for him to save her and giving up on her was still impossible for him.

Sehun loved her too much to let them become nothing.

But what was he supposed to do?

\\\\\

“Namjoo’s not here yet?” Kai asked settling down into his seat at the breakfast table.

“No,” Nanny Jung replied. “Seems she’s not feeling well. Poor girl’s been nauseous all morning, kept running to the bathroom.”

Kai glanced toward the empty seat in front of him then slid out of his chair. Heading back up the stairs he found the bathroom door locked. Pressing his ear against it he heard Namjoo inside and knocked.

“Namjoo?” he asked.

A second later he heard the toilet flushing then the water run before the door opened. Namjoo glanced up at him. “What?”

“Are you sick again?” he wondered. “Another fever?”

“No, I’m fine.” She denied.

“Are you sure? Maybe you shouldn’t go to work today.”

“No. I’ll go. I want to go.”

“Alright. Come eat. Breakfast is ready.”

\\\\\

Namjoo needed to get to a computer because there wasn’t one at home yet except for Kai’s office, and that was the last place she wanted to go to. She needed the computer at work. She was afraid now. Her period had not come at all. Not since last month. And it was weird. She also felt weird in an unexplainable way and she needed an answer, especially since she kept throwing up.

After splitting up from Kai to sit at her computer she quickly logged in and went on the internet. She needed a pregnancy test. One as soon as possible. Getting out of the house now without anyone knowing where she went was an obstacle, and might serve difficult. The only way she thought of was to order one. No one would touch her mail.

After clicking a few buttons it was done.

“Choonhee,” someone walked over and Namjoo slammed the mouse to close the internet.

“Huh?” she asked, shocked and short of breath.

The man in glasses shot his glance toward her screen. “No, it’s just I’m wondering if you could look over some work.”

“Yea, yea,” she nodded her head. “Just set them on the desk. I’ll come get them. I’m…I’m going to go to the bathroom for a second.”

Abruptly leaving her chair she got up to walk out. Once in the bathroom she the cold water and splashed her face. She needed to calm down or else she would look suspicious to everyone. God, it was such a headache.

When she stepped out of the bathroom she got another shock. A gasp flew out of her when she saw Sehun waiting for her. Snatching her hand he led her toward the stairs and down to the second level. Making way through the hallway he led her to a secluded room slamming the door close after him.

Namjoo turned to look away.

“Are you happy?” he asked.

She turned to look at him as if she hadn’t heard him.

“I said are you happy?” he repeated himself.

“Yes, I’m happy. I’m the happiest I’ve been.”

He narrowed his eyes down at her. “I don’t believe you.”

“Then I think that’s your problem. I have to go. I have work waiting for me.” she tried to walk past but Sehun grabbed her arm and pushed her back into place.

“I,” he told, “was in the hospital this weekend.”

Worry swarmed over her. Blinking she looked around trying not to be obvious. “Are you ok?”

“No.”

She was quiet then said, “Why are you at work?”

“I…” his voice along with his breath shook and sounded like he was going to tear up, “miss you, Namjoo.”  

Hearing her name from his lips made her heart yearn for him. Namjoo turned away. “What can I do? I don’t.”

“Then tell me, why you told me to come to you when you were with Kai, the man you supposedly love?” Sehun asked. When she didn’t answer he stated, “It’s because you don’t have feelings for him.”

“No.” she shook her head. “Don’t misunderstand.” Going against her weeping soul she stated gruffly, “I liked the attention you gave me. You stuck me in the phone booth with you, and confessed you love me. What woman wouldn’t like when a handsome man comes onto her like that? I took you to my advantage.”

“No,” he quickly denied. “Not true. You were the same.”

Namjoo raised her brows. “Same?” she repeated then laughed mockingly. “Sehun, you’re a little naïve for your age. Even someone with just streetsmarts like me knows things about taking advantage of someone. You inherently begged me to sleep with you. In Incheon you took advantage of me, so I took advantage of you on the night of your romantic dinner and cake surprise.” Then she smirked, “I liked it. I said before, slipping in and out of my clothes is a pretty simple thing. Ah…men are so easy when it comes to women.”

She felt his anger when he grasped her arm. “Don’t you say that.”

Hardened her gaze without play she scared back at him in a stoic manner. “You said you wanted to know me. Then get to know me. This is part of me. I play around. On the streets I had to look out for myself, and this in Choonhee’s world, is me looking out for myself.”

“No!” he raised his voice again. “That’s not you. You aren’t like that.”

“Why?” she asked. “You can’t accept it because it’s not the woman you love?” she looked up at him menacingly. “This is the woman you love. This is me. Kim Namjoo. Wait,” she shook her head, “Choonhee.”

“Namjoo!” he shook her. “Can you stop being like this?!”

She violently shook out of his hold. “Stop clinging onto me, Sehun. It makes you look shameless. I don’t like men with no pride or consideration for themselves.”

He angrily scoffed frustrated with her, “Just why are you like this? Namjoo,” he pleaded trying to hug her, “please don’t be like this.”

Namjoo let out a shout and pushed him away. “I said stop!”

“I won’t. Not until you tell me that you love me too,” Sehun refused. “Someone must have hurt you. You must have cried a lot by yourself.” He shook his head. “I know you aren’t a person who did things out of her own free will, because you weren’t able to. You had no choice.”

“Are you done?” she icily questioned then shoved past him and walked out, closing the door after her. As she stomped up the stairs and arrived on the third floor she heavily sighed.  

Why was Sehun still like this? He should’ve forgotten her by now.

\\\\\

When she sat down that evening for dinner Kai passed over some medicine. “Have these after eating.”

Namjoo glanced at the medicine then said, “I told you I’m not sick.”

“If you’re not sick then what is it?” he wondered.

Namjoo looked around flustered then excused, “Maybe it’s the new house. You know…sometimes new environments take some time getting used to.”

Kai shot her a frown but let it go. When she curled up in bed that evening she didn’t feel so good. A very bad feeling crept up her spine.

She waited impatiently the next four days for the pregnancy test to arrive. It was amazing, she thought, that everything could be ordered online. Deciding to take off that Friday she watched Kai walk out of the house and intentionally sent Nanny Jung on a grocery errand. Staring out the window impatiently for an hour she raced out when the mailman arrived and discovered the pregnancy test in a plain brown box addressed to her.

Thanking the man for doing his daily duty she hurried back into the house and locked herself in the bathroom. The devastating result was a positive.

Shocked, Namjoo dropped the plastic to the ground with her heart ramming through her chest. It had to be inaccurate. The first one had been a negative! Her mind screamed panic. Then without thinking she ran into her room to grab her purse and rushed out of the house. The only real way to confirm it was to have another test. She needed to see a doctor, because this had to be a lie.

\\\\\

Living the life of a newlywed wasn’t that interesting, Kai thought, but perhaps it was because he and Namjoo had cut out on having a honeymoon. Besides all that, he wasn’t too worried. Lately, all had been peaceful and that was all that mattered. Namjoo didn’t seem to have any trouble adjusting to life with him. Kai also had to admit, it was nice having her under one roof with him.

When he left that morning he planned to return and have lunch with her. It was nice eating with a partner. Only, when he did return that afternoon Nanny Jung was in the kitchen. He couldn’t find Namjoo in her bedroom or anywhere else.

“Where’s Namjoo?” Kai wondered sitting down to the table being prepped for lunch.

“I’m not sure,” the sixty-year-old said. “After the madam sent me out to buy some grocery she wasn’t in when I returned. Now that you say that though,” she walked over to place a bowl of rice onto the table, “I should congratulate you.”

Kai looked up amused. “Congratulate me?”

“Yes,” she smiled broadly, “it looks like the madam is pregnant.”

The humor on Kai’s face quickly dissolved. Disbelief filled the holes of confusion. “What…did you say?”

The Nanny nodded, “When I was cleaning the bathroom I discovered a pregnancy test. I’m certain it’s a positive. You’re going to be a father.”

Bewildered, Kai stared at her grimly. Feigning a smile he said, “Alright. For now, don’t let anyone know. You understand?”

“Yes,” she nodded. “It wouldn’t worth the surprise if everyone knew immediately. You’re so considerate.”

After a disturbing meal Kai plopped down onto the leather couch in the living room instead of returning to work. With fingers entwined and thumbs against his chin he carefully calculated anything suspicious.

Out of all the intimate moments he’d had with Namjoo, none of them would have gotten her pregnant. Then who? Whose baby was it?

“I was with Sehun this weekend.”

That was right. After foolishy covering her disappearance with a lie she’d admitted she was with Sehun that weekend.

Oh Sehun…

Kai bit his lower lip.

\\\\\

Namjoo anxiously bit her thumb while waiting around the hospital. Although she’d been informed it would take a few hours for her results to come out she’d insisted on waiting. Then finally after five whole hours she was called to a private corner to consult with a female doctor who handed her a piece of paper.

“Congratulations, Miss,” she smiled, “your results show that you’re five to six weeks pregnant.”

Wide eyed Namjoo shook her head in denial. “No,” she rejected. “It can’t be. Are you sure you don’t have the wrong person?”

“Yes, Kim Namjoo, is that right?” the woman asked.

Namjoo looked away as her pulse raced. Then abruptly turning to the doctor repeated, “Five to six weeks? No, that’s not possible.”

She only slept with Sehun some two or three weeks ago. How could the baby be five to six weeks?

Then like a nail to the head she recalled Incheon. Immediately covering she wildly looked around.

That was right. Incheon. She first slept with Sehun in Incheon!

Growing with panic her eyes danced around and she pressed a hand to her forehead. What was she going to do now? Kai would kill her.

\\\\\

Kai turned when the door opened and Namjoo walked in. She looked nervous before straightening up and strangely smiled very warmly. “You’re home?”

Kai pulled on a pretentious smile along with her. “I came home for lunch. You weren’t here, so I ate alone and decided not to go to work. Where did you go?”

“Huh?” she asked caught off guard. Then trying not to stutter lied, “I went…for a walk around the block. The neighborhood is really nice. Pretty too.”

“Really?” he stood up. “I don’t think it’s that pretty.”

Namjoo averted her gaze. Then grabbing her hand he led her up the stairs to her bedroom. Closing the door after him he watched her quickly back up and look around. Kai stopped by the table beside the wall with a stack of books.

“Where did you go?” he lowered his tone with seriousness.

“I told you,” she said again, “I went for walk and lost track of time.”

“Are you going to keep lying to me?!” he raised his voice angrily, his chest hot with rage.

Namjoo jumped in spot. “I’m not lying.” She smiled nervously. “Kai, why are you angry? Did something happen at work? Or did…I miss some important drafts? I didn’t make a mistake, did I?”

His eyes glared fire. “While I was having lunch, Nanny Jung said some interesting things to me. Do you want to hear about it?”

Namjoo darted her eyes to the side to hide her emotions. “What…what did she say?”

Kai bit his lower lip, “She congratulated me on becoming a father.”

He caught how Namjoo’s eyes slightly widened but kept her face toward the side. Growing hot he lashed out, tossing the books to the floor. A heavy silence followed with Namjoo frozen in spot. She didn’t even take to denying it. That angered him more. 

“Whose baby is it?” he demanded in a whisper. Then he screamed, “Why are you having another man’s baby?! When I’m your husband!”


***I think pregnancy tests can give you the wrong answers sometimes, especially if you test too early and in this case, Namjoo tested too early. What a great way to start a marriage! But ironic that Kai is in this situation isn't it?