Goodbye Kim Namjoo

One of Us - The Story

\\\\\

“Are you sure?” Sehun asked his informant when Monday came around.

He’d spent an entire weekend fitfully drowning in anger, denial, and depression. None which he felt he deserved to be going through. His conclusion was the same.

Namjoo was lying.

“Yes,” the man nodded, “Kai let her return to her desk this morning.”

“Alright, you can leave,” Sehun waved his hand. The man nodded and left. Remaining calm Sehun let time tick by while waiting. He had to get answers. He needed answers and he needed Namjoo to realize that she couldn’t do this to him or go against her own feelings.

She loved him. He couldn’t believe anything other than that.

Right at 11:00 he headed out of his office. Hayoung asked as he came out, “Where are you going?”

“Just stay right there,” he ordered walking by. With swift legs and an even pace he hurried down the staircase. In no time he was on his way toward the publishing department.

When he peered in through the glass he spotted Namjoo at her desk just as he was told. Then pushing his way through the door strutted toward her. He watched her look up at him when he stopped by her desk, but ignoring him returned to her work.

“Get up,” Sehun commanded steely. “We need to talk.”

“I’m busy,” Namjoo told. “I’m finishing something for Kai. Go back to work, Chief.”

Irked, Sehun tried again nicely with demand, “I said we need to talk.”

“I said no. I don’t have time,” Namjoo told.

With his patience snapping he grabbed her arm forcing her up to her feet. Then gripping hard he stared at her hard, “I said, lets talk.” Then he dragged her out of the department. Namjoo’s heels clapped against the floor has he hurriedly led her up the stairs, shoved the fourth floor door open, and down the hall.

“Sehun!” Hayoung called from her desk when she spotted them.

“I told you to shut up,” Sehun demanded.

Then slamming the door to his office shut he locked it.

\\\\\

After handing Namjoo some work he’d told her to return to her desk. He’d monitor the draft after she finished it and figure out what to have her specifically do for work. But he sort of regretted it because suddenly his office felt lifeless and empty.

After an hour the door burst open and a worker appeared.

“What is it?” Kai asked. “Don’t you know how to knock?”

“No, it’s just…” the man hesitated. “Your fiancée.”

Alarmed, Kai immediately dropped the work at hand, “What about her?”

“Sehun just took her.”

\\\\\

Pinning Namjoo against the wall just like the first time, he stared down at her. Namjoo struggled against him to no avail, breathing hard. “Are you crazy, Sehun?!”

“Yes,” he said breathing right into her face, “didn’t I tell you? The first time I saw you, I was already crazy.”

Burrowing a brow she stared up at him with hands against his shoulders still trying to ease him ack. “Get off me.”

“No,” he said, “you like me on you, don’t you remember?”

Namjoo clenched her teeth.

“Are you doing this because you’re angry at me? We didn’t see each other for a week, did we?” he asked. “Is that why you’re doing this?”

“Are you that petty?”

“Yes,” he said. “Anything that concerns you turns me petty.” He pushed himself against her. “Do you like that?”

Namjoo fought to push him back again, “Stop it, Sehun. We’re at work.”

“So, you’re saying if we’re not at work it’s ok to do this to you?” he watched Namjoo frown at him. “Did Kai do this to you too?”

“You’re going too far,” Namjoo hissed.

Sehun pressed his lips together. “Tell me,” he ordered, “why are you marrying him?”

“Do you want me to repeat myself?” Namjoo refused to back down. Then she slowly enunciated each word until that they made his heart bleed excessively, “I-don’t-love-you.”

His heart raged in both despair and anger. “You’re lying!”

Namjoo’s brows sternly intertwined and she pressed her lips together. “Do you want to know what I did to that guy who knifed me?”

\\\\\

“Sehun!” Hayoung shouted pulling on the doorknob helplessly then turned when she heard urgent footsteps. Kai slid to a pause and stared at her.

Lightly narrowing her eyes she asked, “What are you doing here?”

“You need to ask?” he whispered walking over and twisted the doorknob to no avail. “Don’t you have keys?”

“I don’t have them. Sehun never made me a copy.”

“Don’t tell me he’s the only one who has them!” Kai shouted out of anger and slammed himself against the door. “Namjoo!” He huffed angrily then turned to her, “What are you doing?! Call the janitor! He better have a master key to all rooms.”

Nodding, Hayoung turned to return to her desk listening as Kai continued to ram himself against the door.

\\\\\

With one last hard stare Namjoo rammed her head forward into his face, bumping right into his nose. Letting out a shout he released her immediately, pressing his hand against his face.

“There’s a punch too,” Namjoo stated powerfully, “but I don’t think you can handle something that might dislocate your jaw. I won’t let it pass if someone handles me like that. I’ll see you at the wedding.”

She turned to leave but determined to keep her there with him until she caved and told him the truth, he lunged after her wrapping both arms around her from behind. Lifting her up against him he felt her kick her legs out wildly.

“Sehun!” she screamed. “Put me down!”

“No, never,” Sehun dropped onto the couch bringing her along with him. As she struggled on his lap he got a good whiff of her hair – just the scent he recalled. His heart fluttered.

His eyes turned to the doorway upon hearing voices outside. Someone was going to break the door down and they might succeed before he won over Namjoo.

Tossing her aside he climbed over her and began to reach for her hand. Namjoo relentlessly fought with him, confused before realizing his aim was the ring.

“No! Don’t!” she cried out when he grabbed her hand.

“It’s precious to you, isn’t it?” he asked. “If I take it off first you’ll return to me.”

“Sehun!” Namjoo screamed, struggling to pull her fingers back.

With a hold on his ring he stared down at her angrier than ever, “You told me you don’t want to marry him. I knew you were begging, I know you meant it. Don’t turn your back on me yet, Namjoo. I swear, you know I’ll do anything for you. So don’t give up on us yet, please. I love you, I mean it.

“There are many more firsts I want to do for you. There are so many things I want to be the only one to do for you. Don’t take that from me and tell me what we had was a lie. I don’t and I won’t believe it. I know someone’s having your hands tied right now, right? Am I right?”

Seeing her stare up at him helplessly was his answer. He knew she loved him. Namjoo let out a loud gasp when he managed to pull the silver ring off and the doors burst open. In the flash of an eye he was shoved off Namjoo. Once he regained his footing as Hayoung pulled him up he spotted Kai in front of Namjoo. He angered once again when he saw Namjoo grab his arm and hide behind him.

“Are you out of your mind?!” Kai screamed from the top of his lungs. “Do you want to lose the position your father so dearly wants you to have?! You want the chairman to hear about this, don’t you? If it gets to his ears, you’re dead. Your family will be removed from the company, your father will lose his stocks, and your family will lose face. Is that what you want?!”

It hurt that Namjoo didn’t utter a word to Kai that it was alright; that he should stop.

“Don’t you,” Kai warned, “touch my wife.”

Grabbing Namjoo’s hand he led her out. Sehun stared after them vexed that he hadn’t gotten his way.

Damn Namjoo. That liar.

“Why did you do that?” Hayoung questioned. “Do you know what you just did? If his father finds out, he’s going to fire you. Choonhee’s their daughter-in-law.”

“Shut up!” Sehun yelled irate. “I don’t need to hear that from you.” Shifting to face her he said, “I know you’re a part of it too. You pushed Namjoo, you pressured, you threatened her. You made her like this. Get out of my sight.”

\\\\\

“I’m sorry,” Namjoo said from behind as they went down the stairs together. “I lost the ring.”

Sighing he turned around to look up at her, “Forget it. That’s not important. He didn’t do anything to you?”

Namjoo shook her head.

“Good then,” turning his back to her he continued to lead her back toward the office.

\\\\\

The first thing she did when she got home was pack. Midway through folding some clothes into a box she looked up and around Choonhee’s feminine bedroom, thinking about how she was to have been able to use it. The pretty curtains, the window that let light shine in, the desk, and the nice bed that gave her comfort in times of need. She would miss it. This had been hers for a short while. It had been a sanctuary that offered her solace and solitude from the rough world.

Then her eyes drifted over to Choonhee’s picture on the desk. The broad smile on her face had been that of something that had belonged a beautiful young woman who never received the love she should have. It was pitiful and sad. She hadn’t lived long enough to get married to the man she loved.

“I’m sorry,” Namjoo apologized aloud, “that I took your place, but at least you’re in a better place now. You won’t get hurt anymore. You’re happy up there, right?”

Turning away Namjoo lifted the box up and walked into the closet. She wouldn’t take anything else but some clothes, a few heels, her tennis shoes, the clothes she’d worn on her day of arrival, and the picture of Choonhee. The rest she would leave behind. They would remain as Choonhee’s memoir.

That Wednesday she moved out of Choonhee’s manor.

\\\\\

Tao kept his word. No one beyond the audience at their wedding was anyone she knew. All of them were relatives of the Lee’s and Kim’s, those she pretended to be familiar with. As she sat there in the bridal room chatting with strangers the pretentious smile Namjoo held on her face slowly became a part of her. It was no longer painful smiling that way. It was just something she did naturally now.

The entire time she thought about how blessed Choonhee was to have family; so many people around her. Whether they were using her as a pawn or they cared for her wholeheartedly, they were regardless a part of her family, none that Namjoo ever had. It kind of felt nice in a sad and betraying way.

“Congratulations,” Hayoung walked up to her. “You look exceptionally beautiful today.”

“Thank you.” She quietly muttered.

“Should we take a picture together?” Hayoung asked then sat down beside her on the white Victorian chair. The photographer in front of them prepared for a photo shot before Hayoung thanked him.

“Do you mind if I talk to the bride alone?” Hayoung asked. Nodding the guests bid Namjoo farewell before closing the large dome doors after them.

Sitting next to her Hayoung let out a sigh and looked around. “I sure did wonder from the beginning if we’d ever get this far. I always knew Choonhee was an important person. It was always about her. Too bad she never really realized it.”

“What do you want?” Namjoo asked, her mood going bad real fast.

“I want to say thank you,” Hayoung said. “For giving up on Sehun.”

Namjoo scoffed bitterly. “Is he all that matters to you?”

“Yes,” Hayoung acknowledged shamelessly. “He’s all I wanted. I also wanted to be the Lee’s second daughter, but I’m near there so I’m not worried. Be happy, Namjoo. You’re getting to live a life you don’t deserve. You will have a blessed marriage.”

“You don’t feel the slightest guilt?” Namjoo asked, her heart pained again thanks to Hayoung. “About Choonhee?”

“No,” she shook her head. “It was her decision that led to this, and you.” Then she placed a hand at her back, “Even if you don’t love Kai, he’s quite the guy. Live happily.”

Hayoung got up to leave and five minutes later as Namjoo sat in utter distress there was a knock at the door. A woman poked her head in to tell her it was time for her to come out.

The wedding proceeded nicely, as if everything was set in motion and planned to play out perfectly. At the cue of the piano Lee Kwan led her down the white aisle as eyes beamed upon them enviously. Every step of the way felt like she was walking on burning rocks, and every step closer to the groom at the front made her want turn and run. But she kept going.

She had saved a disaster. The Lee family, the merge, Sehun, Kai, and Hayoung, and everyone else. She had saved all of them by carrying out her role as Lee Choonhee. She was the pawn that carried on Choonhee’s terrible fate.

Once she reached the altar she turned with Kai and shed tears as the pastor gave them his blessing, carrying on the procession then slowly to a close. She would become Kai’s person, his wife, and maybe the mother of his children. It was the life of luxury she wanted but not who she wanted it with.

What had she done wrong to deserve this?

“Now the groom may kiss the bride.”

And that was how she said goodbye to Kim Namjoo.  


***Here we have the return of frustrated and aggressive Sehun. And onto KaiJoo's married life, look forward to it!