Running into a Wall

One of Us - The Story

\\\\\

Bitterness bit him in the neck and he let her hand go. Doing his best to remain calm in front of her Kai pressed his lips together and swallowed his spiteful feelings.

He couldn’t tell why she was doing this to him. Why she was being like this with him. Or why she felt so far away when she was within an arm’s reach. Just what was it that Sehun was doing to her?

Pulling on a smile he nodded, “Ah…is that so?” Naturally pulling the passenger door open he said, “Then I shouldn’t take much of your time. You probably want to get some rest before work tomorrow.”

She glanced at him quietly and he wondered what kind of reaction she was searching his face for. Choonhee…was being too obvious about it. What exactly was she aiming for?

Closing the door after her he started toward the house, nodding at her parents on his way in. The second he started off the stairs the grin on his face turned grim. Halting, he stood midway up the stairway with his hand curled into a fist.

\\\\\

Very impulsively Kai found himself hastily parking in front of Sehun’s house just minutes later. Leaving his keys behind in the car he stomped out and walked toward the door, rang the bell, and waited.

His mother came to the door. “Ah…Kai. What a surprise…”

He cut her off rudely, “Is Sehun home?”

The woman hesitated in her moment of silence before propping a pretentious smile onto her face. “Yes, he is. I’ll go get him. Would you like to come in?”

Kai answered immediately, impatient. “No. I’ll wait out here.”

“Alright then,” the woman muttered, shot him one more glance then turned to head inside.

Once alone, Kai heaved a deep breath to calm himself down. He didn’t like Sehun or his parents. They were conniving things after his father’s business and money. When he first discovered Sehun’s motives, Kai had complained to his dad to boot Sehun’s father out and prevent him from being a stockholder.  

“You know they’re after your money! They’re money hungry!” he’d argued.

“Son,” his father very calmly called from behind his desk, “you just don’t understand. Business is all about taking risks. If he wants to invest in my stocks, he can – what does that have to do with me? Behind everyone is a motive they wish to achieve; you have it, I have it, and your mother does too. It’s all a gamble. In the world of business you either stand at the top or you’re below.”

“That doesn’t make sense! Are you listening to me? What you’re talking about isn’t relevant to what I’m saying! They’re after your business! Are you going to let them take what’s yours from you?”

“Tsk…tsk…tsk…” his father clicked his tongue annoyed by his naivety. “It’s a game, Jongin. If you play purely, you’re bound to lose when the road comes to an end. Do you think we’re all saints?” the man shook his head. “When you find a leverage for power, you grab it. Only an idiot would dismiss it. Your mother gave birth to you with hopes you would inherit the company, so don’t you fail me. You’re our pride and honor.”   

His father shot him a hard stare of warning, his deep voice dangerous, “You better stand at the top.”

Now he didn’t like losing. He despised the thought that one day Sehun might succeed the company; take what rightfully belonged to him from him. Choonhee was no different. She’d come to him; had offered to give him power, and he wouldn’t lose her at all costs. If Sehun wanted to play dirty, he would put his all at stakes to make her his wife.

Footsteps approached and Sehun walked toward him with a straight face neither curious or surprised he was there.

“It’s a surprise to have you here,” Sehun greeted nonchalantly, “what are you doing? You’re not coming in?”

“No,” Kai rejected the offer again, “I just want to have a few quick words with you.”

He slightly raised a brow. “About what? I don’t recall anything being wrong with work.”

“It’s not about work.”

“Oh?” Sehun asked then glanced aside before looking back at him. “Then, what is it?”

Kai stared him directly in the face, his thoughts bubbling inside him. “I don’t want you to bother Choonhee any longer. We’re getting married really soon, I don’t want members of the board whispering about her having an affair with you. It would hurt the company’s image, more so you.”

Silence pursued. Sehun stared back at him, refusing to let emotion sprout on his face. Kai stared back hard with refusal to back down.

“I’m glad you understand. Ah…there’s a meeting this weekend to talk about the wedding. Why don’t you come if you have time?” Kai said then turned around to walk toward his car.

\\\\\

Namjoo nervously bit on her nails as they headed back home. She wasn’t sure what she’d said had any effect. For some reason she felt more embarrassed now than determined. What would happen tomorrow?

The car came to an abrupt halt and Namjoo jerked forward in her seat, awakening from her thoughts.

“What’s going on?!” Choonhee’s mother scolded from the back. “How are you driving this car?! You almost killed us!”

“I’m very sorry, Madam,” Butler Yoo apologized. “Secretary Oh surprised me.”

“Hayoung?” Eungi repeated in a softer demeanor. Leaning to look out the window she pulled the door open and stepped out. Peering out the windshield Namjoo spotted Hayoung’s car in front of them. Curious, she stepped out as well.

“Hayoung, what are you doing here?” the mother asked.

Removing her dark sunglasses from her face Hayoung smiled. “Good morning, Madam. I actually just got here. Did you go somewhere this morning?”

“Ah…yes. We went to have breakfast as President Kim’s home,” Eungi explained and then laughed boastfully, “actually, I should say our in-law’s.”

“Oh?” Hayoung raised a brow. “Already?”

“Yes,” the mother nodded.

Namjoo listened to a pair of footsteps walk toward them. Choonhee’s father spoke, “We’re having a meal this weekend to figure everything out. If you’re not busy, why don’t you attend?”

“Me?” Hayoung pressed a hand to her chest pretending to be surprised with the offer. Then she laughed in the form of a high giggle that meant to convey uncertainty. “I’m not sure I should go. I’m not even part of the family.”

“Do come. President Kim is going to invite some board members as well.”

“Ah…I’ll see about that.”

“Come in,” Eungi invited, “it’s too warm for a Sunday morning. Lets go talk inside.”

Hayoung quickly interrupted when the woman stepped toward the door. “Actually, I wanted to head out with Choonhee. Is that alright?”

“Of course!” Eungi raised her voice ecstatically. “Go on.”

\\\\\

Wow. Namjoo was really flabbergasted. Throughout the whole conversation earlier she hadn’t been given the option to speak at all! They were really skilled with making her feel invisible. Namjoo mentally fanned herself as she turned to stare out the window. They were currently on the way somewhere. Hayoung had yet to speak to her about why she was there that morning.

“Get out,” Hayoung ordered when the car came to a stop. Namjoo peered out the window to see that they were at a snack bar.

Following Hayoung in she asked, “Do we always have to go somewhere to talk?”

The air conditioner blasted cold air into her face surprising her when they walked in through the door. In the center of the restaurant stood a gigantic food bar consisting of various goods and around them booths and tables that were occupied by hungry people that morning. Namjoo felt herself start to salivate when a waitress led them to a booth by the window with a view of the lot and the gas station on the other side.

“Water please,” Hayoung said to the waitress who then walked away. Busy observing the tiny lights in the ceiling Namjoo didn’t catch Hayoung leaving her behind as she started toward the snack bar. Fearing that she would fall behind with getting her fill, she quickly followed hastily.

The friend shot her tiny plate stacked with layers of food before heading back to their table with her tiny plate of three pieces of sushi and fried shrimp.

“Unless you want Choonhee’s parents finding out their daughter isn’t actually their daughter, it’s better to go somewhere where familiar ears won’t drop in on us. Understand?”

With mouth full, Namjoo nodded.

Elegantly popping a piece of sushi into Hayoung patiently chewed silently and grabbed her glass of water to swallow the food down. Figuring that the woman just wanted someone to eat a meal with her, Namjoo shifted attention to the food. She partly wanted to tease Hayoung about being so shy with coming out that she had no friend to accompany her to eat out.

“What do you think about Kai?” she asked.

Choking on her food immediately, Namjoo desperately reached for her cup of water, slamming her chest with a fist before gulping the liquid. Hayoung stared at her flatly like she was a fool and waited in silence.

“What?” Namjoo managed to asked while still coughing. Wiping the water around her lips away with her hand she stared at Hayoung suddenly no longer hungry.

“Why?” she asked. “Don’t you think he’s handsome?”

“What are you talking about?” Namjoo asked, confused with the girl even though she subconsciously knew where the woman was headed with the talk, but she wanted to deny what was happening.

“He’s smart, romantic, caring, considerate, what else,” Hayoung counted with her fingers then glanced up at the ceiling as she thought on, “ah…right, he’s loyal. If you marry him, I guarantee you no divorce. Plus, with his looks maybe you’ll even have pretty babies.”

Namjoo stared at the woman with spitefulness, no longer in disbelief with her. Hayoung was really going at it, to get her to spend the rest of her life with some man she didn’t love or know. And for god’s sake, Namjoo didn’t want to end up in a loveless relationship. Kai would hate her if he knew she wasn’t Choonhee. And she wasn’t going to put up with it.

Shifting, Namjoo prepared to get out of her seat.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Hayoung asked with emphasis in her voice to control her. There was a warning clear in her voice that she would for sure regret it if she left the table, but if she stayed she would have to listen to Hayoung’s nonsense. Quickly weighing the pros and cons Namjoo decided leaving was better.

“Do you really think you can run away?” Hayoung asked when Namjoo stood. “Did I forget to tell you how stubborn Kai can be? If he sets his eye on something, he’ll do anything to get it.”

Namjoo slightly gritted her teeth. Aggressive people were the worst.

“Have you figured out if he’s really into you or is it Choonhee he thinks he’s seeing?” Hayoung questioned.

Namjoo grew uncomfortable with her words.

“Then run, because I guarantee you you won’t get far. Your ending has already been set for you.”

\\\\\

Namjoo’s muffled scream unsuccessfully circled her room as she lay under her covers on her belly with head tucked under her pillow that evening. She was frustrated and upset with how helpless she felt, but was unable to do anything. She slept fitfully that night and awoke in a groggy state.

When she headed downstairs after washing and getting dressed, she halted at the entrance of the kitchen. Kai was sitting at the breakfast table with her parents, like he was already family. The sight was appalling to her. Pivoting on her heel she readied to walk away, but Choonhee’s mother called out to her.

“What are you doing? Come sit, so you can eat and go to work. Kai’s here this morning.” She happily announced, as if she hadn’t seen for herself.

Feigning a smile Namjoo shuffled over with heavy feet. She stiffly plopped down into her seat beside Kai and made sure to sit at the nearest edge of the chair so as not to be near him. It really bothered her with what Hayoung had said. What if Kai did like her?

Oh come on! She scolded herself and pinched her thigh.

“Did you not sleep well?” Namjoo instantly moved away when his fingers brushed through her hair and across her ear.

Aware of her watchful parents, she placed a hand against her face. “No…no. It’s fine. I mean…I slept well, of course!” Gritting her teeth together she sighed a deep breath and picked up her utensils to eat.

She really hated this.

\\\\\

“You’re really awkward this morning,” Kai commented from behind the wheel and shot her a glance.

Namjoo’s insides screamed for him to keep his eyes on the road because she didn’t think she could bear having him look at her. Being self-conscious about herself was so irritating. Namjoo suddenly wanted to slide out of Choonhee’s pretty attire and dress up in her old rags and see if Kai would still like her then.

“N…no.” Namjoo leaned against the door and stared out the window.

“Is it because of yesterday?” he wondered. “If you think I’m angry at you…”

“I know you’re not angry at me,” Namjoo tried not to raise her voice while her insides continued to shriek for him to not pay her any attention.

“Alright, as long as you know,” he seemed to talk to himself and glanced at her one more time. After a few more red lights in which Namjoo felt like screaming aloud, the car finally stopped in front of the company.

“You go in first. I have a meeting to attend elsewhere. We can have lunch later, right?” he asked as Namjoo hurriedly unbuckled her seatbelt. When she didn’t reply he called, “Choonhee? Choonhee.”

“What?” Namjoo turned and tensed when he missed, but kissed the corner of her lips.

Withdrawing, he sweetly smiled, “I’ll see you later. Go on in.”

Turning away with a face, Namjoo stepped out of his car and watched him happily wave at her from behind the wheel. The moment his car disappeared she darted into the building, wishing to disappear from his sight as soon as possible.

“Eeesshh…” she sounded and nearly knocked into the man standing in front of the elevators. Still rubbing her lips, she slid back and looked up to find Sehun’s cold gaze on her.

What now?! Her insides screamed. How pissed off could he look?! 


***Kai and Hayoung are both working hand in hand to get the marriage going, but now Kai's provoked Sehun and Namjoo is bewildered with whether Kai really likes her not <-- her own thinking ofc. In a few chapters, Namjoo's identity leaks!