Another Man's Person

One of Us - The Story

\\\\\

Sehun had gone to sleep happy and woken up happy. Now that Namjoo knew of his feelings he didn’t need to creep behind the shadows anymore. He could directly go to her and she would know why. There would be no more suspicions between them, because Namjoo knew about his feelings. That thought alone was enough to intensify his feelings of hope.

He would see her again today, even if he had to sneak out of his home and make an excuse. He would use Auntie Shin, pay her another bribe or use whatever means necessary. Just the mere thought of having Namjoo again in his arms or holding her hand, maybe even kissing her again made his heart beat erratically and he had never felt so alive.

It was late afternoon and he hadn’t heard from Namjoo yet. He was starting to become impatient, even against his own will. Then finally his phone beeped.

A text message from Namjoo, “Busan. Can you bring food with you?”

Busan…

For whatever reason she was down there it didn’t matter. He’d go in a heartbeat anyway. Jumping up from where he was he quickly opened his closet, went through his option of clothes, and dressed in what he thought was his best outfit possible. There was no way possible he wanted Namjoo to see him being shabby…ever. Wandering toward the mirror to make sure his hair was groomed perfectly he clapped his hands approvingly and grinned. Throwing on a thin jacket he grabbed his keys and wallet and was out the door.

\\\\\

To pretend she wasn’t in Namjoo had turned the lights off and jumped into bed, curling up under the sheets. She didn’t want to see Kai for the rest of the day, even if that meant she would have to starve a while. She feared she would run into him if she went out for dinner or that he might be standing outside her door if she ordered room service and steal his way in by lying that they were married. Namjoo wouldn’t risk it.

She was highly disturbed…no more than that. She hated it. Kissing her. Why had he done it? Was he crazy? No, she should be mad. He’d done it against her will. He had been Choonhee’s lover and most likely the father’s baby.

It made her highly uncomfortable, even more so because she knew more about him now than before. She could easily forget how intimate Kai had been with her before, but that had been then and not now. Now she was Namjoo in his eyes, not Choonhee.

Was he blind?! Her insides screamed. Why had he done it?! She was going to go mad.

Then her phone rung and she quickly saw that it was Sehun calling. The relief that it was him made her insides light and thankful. Grabbing it she answered, “Sehun.” The name rolled off naturally and lightly off her tongue, feeling right for the first time in forever.

“I’m outside. Should I come in?”

“I…I’ll come down.” She quickly said and got up, rushing toward the door, hanging up as she slipped into her shoes.

The hallway was clear when she poked her head out. Without wasting a second she darted down the hallway as fast as her two legs would allow her and got into the elevator. She nearly ran out when she reached the lobby, but wondering if it would make her look desperate and overly excited she calmed herself. As she neared the front doors she spotted Sehun standing outside with a bag of food. A smile erupted onto his face the second he saw her and he waved. Shyly raising her hand up she waved in return.

He was so handsome she was delighted.

\\\\\

At a patio outside the closed restaurant in the hotel they found a clean table where he spread the food out for her. Sandwiches, fries, and two bottles of water.

“I just got them when I arrived here,” he explained. “Hopefully they’re still warm.”

Namjoo fought from looking too happy, but she was already grinning from ear to ear. “Thanks. I was really hungry.”

She shot him a shy glance, “You…you eat too.” before reaching hungrily for the sandwich.

The timid atmosphere continued to beat around them while they tried not to make it look so obvious. Her heart felt suspended in the air and she felt like she was walking in the clouds. Such a strange thing to experience, it wasn’t as if Sehun was a complete stranger to her. After hearing his confession, it was all so different now both emotionally and physically.

Just the mere fact that he saw her differently was too unbelievable. Namjoo cautiously chewed into the sandwich in order not to chew too loudly or breathe too annoyingly. Did she look ok? She swept her loose tendrils back. Goodness, she was already starting to sweat.

“I didn’t ask, but what are you doing in Busan?” he piped up.

“Ah…” Namjoo uttered. She hadn’t thought about how she would explain it to him. What would he think of her if he knew she came with Kai and that they weren’t returning till tomorrow evening? Now that she thought of it she wondered how she would even survive.

“Is this a business trip with Kai?” Sehun boldly asked.

Namjoo glanced at him with the intention to lie, but instead said, “It’s not...that kind…”

She turned away, embarrassed. The last business trip she’d had was the one with Sehun to Incheon. And thinking about it made her insides ooze with shame. She knew she wouldn’t forget that night for the rest of her life.

His low chuckle had her looking up. “I know.”

Namjoo felt her cheeks burn up and quickly stuffed herself with fries.

“But why didn’t you eat?” he wondered. “Did something happen?”

“No,” she replied too fast it made her look suspicious. “I mean…Kai said the rest of the evening is mine to do whatever I wanted. And I…well…I didn’t want to…I didn’t want to eat alone.”

Sehun stared at her blankly before breaking out into a smile that had her heart melting at the sight of it. She didn’t even understand how her own mind was working now. It all seemed so right and perfect right now.

“Your birthday is coming up, isn’t it?” he asked. She glanced at him. “September 23, is it?”

“Is Choonhee’s birthday the same day?”

“No,” he answered, “her parents changed it to the day she was adopted, and that’s the first of June.”

“Then how do you know?”

He smiled coyly, “I have my ways.”

Namjoo snorted without realizing it, but her heart was racing and she was exhilarated.

“Is there anything you’d like to get? Or anything you’d like to do?” he asked. “I might not have all the power to do something great, but there are a few things I can manage.”

Namjoo let his questions sink in before shyly meeting his eyes again. “I want to go home…or I want to have a place to call home.” then she broke out into a nervous laugh, growing even shyer. “Sorry…I don’t really know. I haven’t celebrated my birthday for a while now. I don’t even know what I really want or need.”

Still, Sehun gently smiled watching her with lights in his eyes as if happy to listen anyway. Namjoo felt even more embarrassed.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized, “I don’t think I can give you a ‘home’ yet.”

Her heart thud loudly as her eyes zoomed in on him. Why was he doing this to her? Making her feel this way, like she wanted to expect something from him?

“But I can do something for you,” he went on. “It’ll have to be a surprise though. Have you had a surprise before?”

“No.”

Sehun grinned. “Then, I’ll be the first. What other things have no one done for you yet? I’ll make sure to keep a list and do those as well.”

Too happy, Namjoo burst out with a laugh. Goodness, why was he doing this to her? Making her feel all fluffy inside like she would forever be standing on clouds. Did she deserve this?

\\\\\

Kai felt estranged from his usual self. He couldn’t even stand the sight of himself in the mirror. It was like staring at some other worldly creature. Four hours after walking out from the pool like a forsaken idiot, he still couldn’t find an explanation for his action.

What was wrong with him?

Sitting up on the bed he glanced at the medicine he’d retrieved sitting on the table, the pills still dry and safe from water. Namjoo hadn’t ordered room service, which all but meant that she hadn’t eaten. He hadn’t either and he was damn hungry. The sun would set any time now and the hotel’s kitchen would close, meaning no food would be available overnight. Searching for a night restaurant that would do delivery would be difficult too.

He knew though, and it was painfully obvious that Namjoo didn’t want to see even a strand of his hair. He could still feel her fighting hard against him in the water. The mere thought of it had him groaning again.

What had he done exactly? He must have been crazy.

Grabbing his jacket he grabbed the bag of medicine and headed out. He’d buy some food and bring some back for her, let it hang on her door. It would be up to Namjoo whether she got to them before some scoundrel lurking the halls.

Driving around in search of a restaurant didn’t take particularly long. Within half an hour his stomach was well fed and satisfied. He would leave the bag of takeout and medicine hanging on Namjoo’s door before going to bed with a clear mind then tomorrow his plan would resume.

That was the plan until he paused midway down the lobby toward the elevators. The wall sized windows he was passing offered a perfect view of the night outside. More than that, the hotel restaurant on the other side was in full view giving him a perfect picture of the pretty patio outside surrounded by artificial coconut trees and wild rose bushes. Beneath the golden Christmas lights he recognized Namjoo sitting at a table, a broad smile on her face. And she wasn’t alone. The longer Kai stared the more he found that face across from her familiar.

Sehun.

Something within his chest tightened and the hand clutching onto the bag clamped into a fist. Jamming the bag of food and medicine into the garbage he started toward the elevator, regretting how flustered he’d been the entire day, even taking to being kind toward that ungrateful girl.

He was…such a fool.

Punching the elevator button to close the doors he fumed. Tomorrow would mean no mercy. Everything would go his way.

\\\\\

Namjoo couldn’t sleep. She was too happy to sleep. So as the night waned she laid in bed ecstatic, picturing in her head the image of Sehun driving home as happy as she was. It felt like her heart had transformed into a butterfly, beating its wings against her chest. And she had never felt so alive before. She was so fitful she even hugged her blanket.

Her phone beeped. It was Sehun.

“Have you gone to sleep?”

She quickly replied the letter she knew how to write, “No.”

Silence followed and she waited dreadfully for his reply, wondering if he’d fallen asleep after the text or if he was purposely making her wait. Then her phone rang, making her jump in surprise. Pressing the button she held the phone against her ear.

“I’m home,” Sehun announced.

The corner of her lips twitched, delighted that he’d arrived safe but what should she say?

“Namjoo?” he called. Even just hearing him breathe made her pulse race. Was this normal?

“Huh?” she breathed.

“Oh,” he said, “I thought you fell asleep on me.”

His short laughter made her heart beat race even faster. Namjoo curled her knees up to her chest, feeling like a young fool having sighted a rare handsome man in the crowded street for the first time.   

“I’m not,” she quietly replied.

“Namjoo,” he called her name again, making her pulse race faster than before, “what is your favorite color?”

“I think…purple.”

“Is it?” he asked. “I like blue.”

Blue. She would definitely keep that in mind.

“Namjoo,” this time her heart skipped a beat, “can you tell me more about yourself?”

“Me?”

“You already know about me,” he said, “but I don’t know anything about you. Your life, how you grew up, the things that happened to you.” He paused for a bit. “Or that scar on your shoulder.”

Her entire whole melted for him. Sehun was a precious gift sent from the heavens. Nostalgia wrapped her up in a tight bow and tossed in along with the package confetti of appreciation and gratitude.

Maybe…he really did love her.

“I don’t know everything about you,” Namjoo softly said.

“I’ll tell you too,” she could imagine him smiling superbly handsomely. “But I asked first.”

The corner of her lips nearly reached up to her chin and she didn’t know how long she talked to him before she awoke to the sun shining brightly through her window, and her phone battery had run out.       

When she awoke it was almost afternoon. For the first time in a while she felt reenergize, refreshed, and relaxed. Lying splayed out on her back she stared happily at the ceiling, her entire body oozing delight. Was this how it felt to be happy? If so, she didn’t ever want to be sad or stressed again.

A smile lit up her face before she got up and walked into the bathroom to wash up. After walking out she excitedly wondered if Sehun had sent her a message and only realized then that her phone was dead. Once she plugged it in to charge messages quickly popped up, the most recent one sent from Kai.

“Find lunch and breakfast on your own. Meet me in the lobby at 6,” was what it.

“Great,” she mumbled then fell back down onto the bed. “I don’t want to see you too.”

Glancing at her phone again she peered at the only message from Sehun. “Good night and good morning.”

That butterfly in her chest fluttered its wings again and she closed her eyes with a dainty smile. Where had Sehun been in her life, only appearing now?

\\\\\

Finding something to eat wasn’t very difficult. On her trip downstairs Namjoo went in search of the restaurant she and Sehun had been at yesterday. It was a warm and cozy restaurant with an open area where the chefs and his apprentices cooked meals for a show. The surrounding tables all made of planks of wood securely nailed together made the tiny place feel like she was in the Bahamas near the beach, smelling the fresh air of sand and the salty ocean. And while she ate stared out at the patio outside where she sat with Sehun last night.

After eating she almost returned to her room before venturing out and ended up doing some window shopping. In haste after an hour of searching she bought a blue button down before returning to the hotel satisfied. Hiding it within her bag she sat around watching television before heading downstairs to meet Kai, who shot her a condescending stare but said nothing and turned to walk out. Namjoo quietly followed and couldn’t wait to get home to be free of him.

Well, that was what she wanted only to realize they weren’t heading toward the highway. At first she nervously glanced at Kai, wondering if he had to stop somewhere without letting her know. That option was quickly blasted from mind when he pulled up to the fairgrounds. Since the sky was starting to darken but there was still enough sunlight out the park remained filled with numerous visitors.

“What are we doing here?” she wondered. She gasped when he suddenly pulled her and quickly pried the golden ring off her finger, tossing it into the cup holder.

“Come out.” Was all he said.

Namjoo frowned at him, wondering what the hell was with him. Still doing as told she followed him in, in awe at the large rides zipping and zooming causing the earth to vibrate manically. Screams disappeared into the air fading out before becoming louder again. She was confused why they were there and browsed the crowds and rides curiously before bumping into him.

That was when she noticed they were near a water fountain and in a quieter area. A two-floor carousel operated down her far right with a line of children waiting their turn and mothers nearby. The ground was decorated with yellow bricks with the rest of the surroundings made up of window shops and a garden of Baby Breaths and colorful flowers.

Namjoo literally jumped when an instrumental melody started blaring through the overhead speakers. Then from around the trees a chorus of people appeared, every one of them holding a bouquet of flowers, their voices blending harmoniously as they sang. Her eyes widened in shock as she watched them perform, confused and literally lost. Around them passersby turned to watch curiously.

The youngest of the group stepped toward her handing her a rose and with no choice, Namjoo took it with an awkward smile then watched him return to the group. Then out of the blue she heard gasps and turned to witness Kai getting down onto a knee. Her eyes widened even more and she clutched onto the rose even tighter.

“We,” he reached into his pocket, “lets spend the rest of our lives together.”

Namjoo’s eyes landed on a silver diamond ring, becoming frozen as her entire world perfect just seconds ago crumbled right before her.

“Lets get married.”

Pause.

"Will you marry me?" 


***Dun-dun-dun-dun!!!! The event he prepared is this! Namjoo is trapped! You know what they say about public proposals. You're pressured to say Yes.