The Hidden Insides

One of Us - The Story

How long was long?

“Oh…” Namjoo nervously smiled, “ah…yes…”

Namjoo’s eyes inched wider uncomfortably when the woman wrapped an arm around her shoulders and led her into the home. The size of the house had Namjoo glancing around, obviously caught off guard by how tiny in size it was compared to Choonhee and Kai’s houses. Another obvious thing she noted was that there were no housemaids waiting on them. The entirety of silence swallowed the surrounding rooms up.

“Over here,” Sehun’s mother directed to a sunny room, “why don’t you sit down, first? Sehun, you keep her company. Don’t let me see you going to your room because you’re tired.”

The woman swiftly her heels and disappeared down the short hallway. She was left standing in total silence with Sehun so awkwardly she could feel the tension building up inside her chest. Ignoring him she walked into the sunny room, glancing over the fine beige furniture and sat down.

A window from the side allowed a nice view of the garden outside with poppies sprouting from the ground. The white drapes, she remarked, were prettily embroidered with patterns. Unlike Choonhe’s home there were green plants inside Sehun’s home, which offered a really great sort of freshness. Namjoo, too realized, the size of the home made her feel less scared compared to the grand size of Kai’s home in which she didn’t know where to go. Here, in this smaller home, it would be less difficult to get lost.

Subconsciously, without waiting for the invite she sat down against the arm of the couch. It was still a shocker to discover the size of Sehun’s house. It would take a few minutes, she thought, for her to completely absorb the information. His family wealth was a lot less than she imagined. She would have to recalculate everything she was learning in order to piece Choonhee’s puzzle together.

The ex-boyfriend had been of lower rank…and someone as rich as she had dated him. Questions zipped through Namjoo’s mind.

Were there motivations involved?

“Don’t think you’re here because I want you to,” Sehun broke the silence, “so wipe that expression off your face.”

Frowning in confusion and disbelief she turned to look at him and realized he was sitting next to her. Dismissing the fact that they were sitting side by side, she wondered instead, about what in world’s sanity he was actually saying.

What expression? What look? All she’d been doing was trying to sort out her thoughts in order to understand all that was happening. Such things, like why she was here?

Namjoo breathed exasperated, “Well…of course I also don’t want to be here.”

His eyes turned narrow again as he observed her. “You’re disappointed that Kai left without you.”

“What?”

Where the hell had that revelation come from?

“I’m sorry it took so long,” Eun Chae walked back in with a tray of teacups filled with fresh tea and some side crackers. His mother placed the tray onto the tiny coffee table between them before sitting down on the sofa opposite them. “Sorry, Choonhee, this is all we have right now.”

The woman smiled apologetically then passed her tea over. Namjoo felt sympathy for her for trying hard to please her, and thought about how she must feel small in size because Choonhee was so well off compared to her household. They were practically a world apart.

Namjoo smiled at the small gesture, “It’s ok.”

“I heard you’ll be starting work tomorrow.” She began. “You must be feeling nervous.”

“I am,” Namjoo answered and thought to herself she was a hell lot nervous for it, because she practically knew nothing about business! Hell would go down, she just knew it.

“You’ll be starting in Kai’s department?”

“I believe so.” Namjoo nodded, part of her starting to depict why she was there; why Sehun’s mother had been so adamant about her coming over.

Why did they have to make everything so completely vague for her?

Eun Chae took a sip of her tea before smiling breathlessly. She seemed to look down before looking at her, “I’m sure it’s going to be difficult for you. Why don’t you start off as Sehun’s personal secretary? I’m sure Sehun would be glad to help you. Wouldn’t it be more comfortable that way? Business matters can be so complicated, but Sehun knows so much he’d be able to coach you along.”

The suggestion of was surprise to her. Namjoo felt barely taken aback and slightly turned to peer at Sehun then quickly said, “No…no, no. I think I’ll be fine. I’m sure Kai will also help me along just as well.”

“But you heard Sehun will be promoted to Vice CEO. I feel that would be a better position for you to be directly with him. If you’re nervous about bringing this up to the President, I can speak to him for you.”

Oh God, Namjoo thought, just what was this?

“Oh no. I’m…isn’t that too late now?”

“I’m sure if that you request it, it’ll be alright.”

“Mom,” Sehun finally spoke up.

“I’m just suggesting this for your good,” she spoke in a harsh whisper to Sehun. “I heard they’ll be transferring Hayoung to work for you, and you clearly know well I don’t like that idea.”

The shock just kept growing. Namjoo barely raised her eyebrow at having heard it. Hayoung was Choonhee’s parents’ secretary, but she was being transferred over? Why was it that she didn’t know of it?

Sehun didn’t respond, so the woman continued pressuring, “Think about it, Choonhee. Haven’t you and Sehun always been beside each other? He’ll be of better help to you than anyone else will. I just know it.”

\\\\\

If Namjoo was dumb she wouldn’t have known what Sehun’s mother was trying to scheme, but she wasn’t dumb and she had felt it.

Then, why, she wondered, had he said nothing the entire time his mom tried pressuring her?

What did they all want from Choonhee?

Namjoo sat uncomfortably still in the passenger’s seat with eyes on the window. She was there next to Sehun, yet at the same time she didn’t really feel like she was there.

Just what was this?

Namjoo instantly jumped in her seat alarmed when Sehun touched her shoulder. As her arm flailed out he immediately flinched back, his eyes wide. He appeared offended when she came to. Her lips prodded open apologetically, but she said nothing.

“Are you going to punch me again?” he asked then scoffed. “I didn’t know you were so violent. Who taught you to do that?”

Pursing her lips together to mute herself she simply stared at him. Goodness, she’d barely forgotten about how she punched him yesterday. Why did he have to bring it up?

“Do you hate me or something?”

How the hell was she supposed to answer that? She barely knew him…yet.

Turning away he said, “We’re here. You can get out now.”

Quietly turning away Namjoo undid her seatbelt and pushed the door open. Once she closed the door Sehun drove away and disappeared down the driveway, part of her curious about what kind of person he really was; the other part of her didn’t really give a damn.

The loud slam of the door from behind made her turn around to find Hayoung standing on the top of the stairs, arms crossed. Like Sehun, her eyes were narrowed, head tilted back, as if judging her for the worst.

When she didn’t move, Hayoung started down the stairs toward her with every step taken slowly, as if there was all the time in the world to give her a piece of her mind. Namjoo could sense that she wasn’t very happy to see her and couldn’t figure out why it was so.

Stopping in front of her Hayoung asked, “I heard Kai took you out, but you’re back with Sehun?”

Namjoo glanced at the woman whose presence felt intimidating. “It’s just…some things happened. Why is it your business?”

“So where did you go?” Hayoung inquired, unwilling to give up. Namjoo could feel her determination flowing off her like roaring waves. If she didn’t say what Hayoung wanted to hear, it would be unpredictable what kind of difficulties she would create for her. The confusing situation she was in was already enough.

“Sehun’s house. His mother wanted to talk.” Namjoo hesitantly stared at the so-called friend.  

“You went…to his house?” she sounded surprised before demanding with a slight hiss, “Why?”

“I don’t know,” Namjoo raised her voice and shook her head. “How am I supposed to know when I know nothing at all!”

The woman’s eyes grew hard, silently warning her to keep it down and not say anything unnecessary. Again, Namjoo pursed her lips, immediately becoming a mute. She hated how she was so easily pushed around by Oh Hayoung.

“Alright then,” Hayoung nodded, as if realizing that nothing more would satisfy her. Her lids fell flat over her eyes and she suddenly looked vile. Namjoo felt the hard point of her finger as she it against her shoulder.

“You just remember, Kim Namjoo, that you’re no Lee Choonhee,” Hayoung jeered. “Your face might be the same, but your identities are different. However much you try, you will never have what Choonhee had. I’m warning you, don’t overstep the boundaries I set for you, so don’t get too greedy.”

Namjoo was merely dumbfounded as Hayoung brushed by.

Just what exactly was she trying to say?

She was already standing as Choonhee, what else did she want? Was it not enough that she’d already dragged her into this?

\\\\\

Frustration. Confusion. Frustration that was confusing.

That was it. None of it was anything Sehun could explain as he floored the accelerator and sped off. The farther he got away from Choonhee, the better, because hell, he didn’t know what was going on.

This strong attraction to her that came out of nowhere was mortifying enough as it was. How the hell was he supposed to explain it?

He hated it even more that when his mother suggested she become his secretary, he’d actually thought it wasn’t a bad idea. Obviously it wouldn’t happen. Even if Kai didn’t have control over anything, his father did, and the old man would never have it.

Biting his tongue to keep his thoughts from swaying, he still felt his eyes drift over to the empty seat beside him. Choonhee hadn’t said much to him but it had still been alright just sharing some space with her. Unexpectedly, his mind shot back to how surprised she’d looked at him that morning. Sehun shortly laughed, her surprised expression still vivid in his head. He must have ruined a planned breakfast she wanted alone with Kai for her.

The thought was utterly satisfying.

He was interrupted from any further thoughts of Choonhee when his phone rang. He purposely let it ring a few seconds more until the ringing vibrated desperately.

“You need something?” he asked.

“Where are you?” Hayoung asked in turn.

He peered out of his window, “Somewhere.”

“Lets meet.”

“We can just talk over the phone.” He sighed the words out.

“No,” Hayoung stated with emphasis. “I want to talk to you. I’ll wait for you at the usual.”

There was a click, signaling that she’d hung up. Tossing the phone into the passenger’s seat he sped down the road.

\\\\\

It took no less than ten minutes for Sehun to walk into the sandwich bar and spot her at the back.

“Are you hungry?” she offered. “I’ll order you something.”

“I’m not hungry.” He dismissed her.

Hayoung stared at him, unable to refuse the curiosity of what he did earlier with Namjoo. If she asked right away, she might annoy him.

“Did you hear?”

He raised a brow. When she didn’t answer right away he said, “I hear a lot of things. I’m tired. What do you want to talk about? If it’s about the company, there’s…”

“When are you not tired?” Hayoung wondered coldly. “There hasn’t been a time you’re not tired. I think it’s time you start using a new excuse.”

Sehun merely stared back blankly.

Feeling slightly apologetic for lashing out abruptly she averted her eyes downwards toward her ice coffee. After a second she finally looked up again, “Secretary Min resigned. I was just told I’ll be your secretary starting tomorrow.”

He said nothing. She waited for him to give a comment, something like, “That’s good news.” Even after half a minute he still had nothing to say.

“You have nothing to say?”  

He shrugged. “Why? Should I have something to say?”

Hayoung stared back at him, feeling a bit stupefied – no, more like ridiculed. She’d been excited at the news, knowing that she would be able to work closely with Sehun. Finally she would be able to follow up on his schedules and sometimes, she imagined, they would have lunch together because it would get so busy. And when it would get hectic, she would pack him homemade lunches. A secretary always spent majority of her days with her boss.

But Sehun had nothing to say, coldly shooting her down like she didn’t matter at all.

Lightly biting her tongue she continued, “I heard you were with Choonhee earlier.”

She watched his eyes come to life at the mention of her and silently cursed.

Damn Namjoo. What was she up to?

Avoiding her eyes, he looked out the wall sized window. If there was one thing she knew about Sehun, he wasn’t one to enjoy the scenery, the air, or the people around him. His personality was stoic. He didn’t care about anything, but what his father set him up to do. He was the living puppet. He was like her.

He was supposed to be hers, someday, somehow.

“Anyhow, the decision’s already made,” Hayoung said. “Lets work well starting tomorrow. It’ll be really fun with us four in one building. Don’t you think?”

“Sure. I guess,” he replied emotionlessly.

The longer she stared at him, the less satisfied she felt with everything. Maybe what was even worse was that she had nowhere to lash her feelings, because no one wanted to listen. No one wanted to accept her feelings.

“It will be interesting,” Hayoung went on, certain. “You, me, Kai, and Choonhee. Ah…that’s right. I heard something really interesting the other day. You want to hear about it?”

“Look, Hayoung,” Sehun finally turned to her, tired of even sitting there. “I’m not…”

“Kai wants to get engaged with Choonhee.”

That shut him up…good. Hayoung stared at his bombed face and felt partly satisfied for having stomped on him, yet bitter about how the life in his eyes immediately died out.

“I guess Choonhee likes Kai. What a surprise.” Hayoung went on.

“Did he say that?” Sehun asked quite seriously.

Hayoung raised her brow, “We both very well know it’ll happen.”

“But did Kai say it himself?” Sehun repeated through what seemed to her, like gritted teeth.

“Why are you getting worked up?” Hayoung asked.

“You know what a person who starts jumping to conclusions without any evidence is called?” Sehun asked. “A liar.”

Her insides heated up and she pressed her lips together. She wanted to hit him back for saying that to her face. Without thinking, she asked, “Are you jealous, Sehun?” 


***Remember, they're supposed to be keeping Kai and Choonhee - Namjoo - from getting together? Tables are turning again because Hayoung senses Sehun's feelings. Maybe she'll let Kai and Choonhee - Namjoo - get together after all while Sehun goes berserk in the background about it hehehe~~