Feeling You

One of Us - The Story

“What are you doing?” he asked.

Alarmed, Namjoo’s lids fluttered, “I was…”

“Wipe your drool,” he ordered before walking through the space between the couch and coffee table then sat down beside her. “Do you even know what you’re doing? I told you to study.”

“I…I was!” she defended. “It’s just…you know, studying was never really my thing.”

She shot him a quick glance before looking away bashful. Suddenly abashed himself, Kai turned to erase an answer she’d written down.

“What are you doing?” Namjoo asked.

“Are you really that bad?” he wondered, scribbling down the correct answer for her. “Why are you writing a present tense for a sentence that requires past tense?”

“Oh…really?” she muttered. “I wasn’t aware…”

She glanced at him then away. Noticing how cramped she was between the couch and him she tried shifting uselessly. Kai threw her a quick glimpse, feeling uneasy himself before tossing the book and pencil to her and got up.

“Fix your mistakes.” Escaping back to his desk he sighed as he sat down and bit his lower lip. Brushing a hand against his forehead he quickly refocused his attention back to work and onto ignoring her for the rest of the hour.

\\\\\

Lunch was awkwardly quiet between them. Namjoo didn’t think she’d ever felt so estranged before and she couldn’t even tell why. All of a sudden, Kai suddenly seemed to be giving her the cold shoulder. If he really didn’t want to be there, he didn’t even have to come along. What was his deal?

Namjoo peered up at the shopping mall through the side window and made a face, silently complaining about why Kai even needed to come along with her to shop. She really did want some more pants, tiring of dresses but she felt uncomfortable with him there. As if buying personal clothes wasn’t already enough of a personal business, she complained.

“You know,” she began when they entered a store, “you don’t really have to come.”

“No, I decided I’ll stick around,” he replied, glancing around at the items in display.

It was hopeless with him!

Namjoo clenched her teeth in order to refrain from making another face and looked up surprised when a store employee approached them, “Good afternoon. Is there anything specific you’re looking for?”

“N…no,” Namjoo shook her hand. “I’m just looking around.”

“Alright then.” The woman smiled politely. “Just to let you know, we have a buy one get half off special going on today.”

Awkwardly pulling on a smile Namjoo nodded and scooted away from the woman. Goodness, it was always so uncomfortable being greeted like that. When her eyes landed on the jeans at the rack by built into the wall Namjoo instinctively started toward them. Jeans were especially made for her, and it was always what she’d worn since growing up.

Before she grabbed one Kai interrupted, “What are you doing?”

She turned around to look at him, almost forgetting he’d tagged along. “I was just…”

“Jeans aren’t appropriate attire for the office,” he pointed out and had Namjoo mentally kicking him.

“Then…what?” Namjoo asked. Goodness, she wasn’t Choonhee. How would she know what to pick and wear? She was Kim Namjoo who loved casual concepts.

He seemed to hesitate before grabbing her wrist and leading her toward the opposite side of the store. Then letting go of her went through the rack of fancy pants, grabbed one, and checked its size. Flushing from embarrassment Namjoo glanced around the store to make sure they weren’t being watched. What the hell did he think he was doing? It would look as if he knew the size of clothes she wore!

Namjoo immediately shoved the pants in his hand away when he held it against her to estimate its look, raising her voice, “What are you doing?!”

Kai looked naively blank then shoved the pants into her hands, “Then you look.”

He turned away to feign ignorance. Namjoo hissed underneath her breath, complaining about why he was even there with her. This was almost as bad as when Sehun brought her to the mall a while back.

When she did decide on one she heard him comment, “No, that doesn’t look good. The blue one looks better.” Or it was, “The color doesn’t suit you. Go for the other one.”

And Namjoo didn’t know how many times she even managed to glare at him out of annoyance as he led her around the store like he was her stylist or something. In the end, she even ended up put up a fit with him at the counter when he took out his card to pay for the clothes.

“We’ll get these,” was what he said.

“Wait, hold on,” Namjoo told the cashier then turned to him, “I brought my own money. Take your card back.”

“Just charge it,” he said to the cashier, who nodded.

“I said, hold on!” Namjoo raised her voice then turned to Kai. “You don’t have to be so petty. Are you going to wear the clothes? I didn’t ask you to pay. Don’t try to be so nice.”

“Nice?” Kai repeated, irritated. “No. I don’t do nice, but I can’t let my fiancée try to bring my image down now, can I?” turning back to the cashier he gestured for her swipe his card and Namjoo deeply breathed, annoyed with him. She understood him even less!

They drove back to Choonhee’s manor in complete silence, with Namjoo still fuming over how he had forced his way over everything she wanted. Even Kai seemed as annoyed beside her and she didn’t understand why! She hadn’t done anything wrong, even agreeing to his stupid terms that he take her to the store after lunch, but instead he’d given her the cold shoulder in the process. What was going on with him?! Why was he being so petty?!

When Namjoo began to unbuckle her seatbelt she heard him say, “Get out. I can’t stand the sight of you right now.”

She turned to shoot him a glare muttering, “Gladly,” and stepped out, opened the back passenger door and grabbed her shopping bags. Slamming the door shut she watched him accelerate off into the distance.

“Good riddance, you jerk!” she called after him throwing her fist into the air. Turning around she walked up the stairs and into the silent house, expecting to head upstairs to her room and flop onto her bed. She hated herself for getting riled up over Kai’s stupid fit with her today, but as she started to pass the kitchen the bags dropped from her hands out of shock.

Namjoo merely stumbled back surprised when Sehun stood up from the dining table, and in that immediate second she forgot all about her frustration with Kai. Quickly flustered, she picked up the bags. Losing her train of thoughts she barely moved from spot as he walked over.

“You went shopping?” he asked.

“I did. Why?” she answered defensively for no completely reason as she turned to look at him, fighting to keep her cool while drowning in a state of anxiety. Recalling how she’d raced out of the house that morning to get a negative on the pregnancy test had her heart drumming madly against her chest. She wanted to keep away from him as far as possible.

Her insides screamed. Why was he here in the middle of the day and not at work?!

“I heard you left work early,” Sehun said, shifting toward the kitchen. “Lets eat.”

“No,” she quickly breathed. “I’m not hungry.”

“Owner of the house should at least accompany the guest for a meal.” Sehun stated.

She flittered her eyes away but they made their way back to him magnetically. “Talk to Choonhee’s parents.”

“They won’t be home till late.” He told.

Hearing it had Namjoo’s throat tightening. Out of nervousness she suddenly began sweating and gripped harder onto the shopping bags. She didn’t like being close to him, nonetheless alone. It made her uneasy and uncomfortable. He disturbed her thoughts and she didn’t like it.

“Don’t tell me you don’t even know their schedule?” he asked.

Gulping, Namjoo darted her eyes around. She didn’t want to talk about the bad relationship she had with Choonhee’s parents nor how they were pushing her off to Kai, like an object.

He took her arm to lead her toward the table, but distraught, Namjoo shrugged him off. “I said don’t touch me.”

They both turned when footsteps neared and saw Auntie Shin just around the corner. Namjoo turned away even more restless.

“Can you leave us alone for a minute?” Sehun asked.

Glancing at her curiously and with suspicion she nodded then turned, disappearing to where she came from. Namjoo suddenly worried if she’d been too loud. If Auntie Shin gossiped to Choonhee’s parents that she was associating with Sehun, they might be angrier with her. She didn’t want any more trouble.

In that moment she felt him pull her toward the table. Subconsciously returning to the situation Namjoo shook him off, the bags dropping noisily to the ground again. “I said I don’t want to eat! Why are you doing this to me?”

“Me?” he repeated, his eyes hard on her. His voice sounded pained, but at the moment Namjoo didn’t want to understand it. “Why am I doing this? You really don’t know why?”

His grip tightened on her arm but not too hard, just enough to keep her there with him. “Why is it so hard to see you even for a second?”

Namjoo glanced up at him with her brows furrowing deep into her face helplessly. She quietly said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

A deep sigh of eternal frustration dropped from his lips. “You were with Kai earlier.”

She guiltily pressed her lips together. Just the mention of that guy made her heart constrict with even more frustration. Why was she feeling so utterly trapped? Why!?

“Then the rest of your evening belongs to me.”

Namjoo shot her eyes back up to his face. “What do you mean? No…I can’t.”

“Sit,” he said but moved her toward the chair and forced her down then moved to sit down at the opposite side.

“I mean it,” she helplessly pleaded, “I’m going to get in trouble.”

“Am I that irresponsible?” Sehun questioned, picking his chopsticks up. “I told Auntie Shin I have business with you. I’ll deal with the rest.”

Namjoo slightly lurched forward into her seat with a gasp when he interlocked his legs with hers underneath the table to keep her rooted. She looked up to see a handsome, yet playful smirk on his lips.

“The food’s pretty good today,” he appetizingly chewed happily before placing some onto her empty plate. “Eat up. I don’t think we’ve had quite a cozy meal together before.”

She was going to get in trouble. She could feel it. Someone would find out Sehun came to find her, and she would be in trouble. He’d already caused her to feel deathly scared and she didn’t want to feel that way again.

“Why aren’t you eating?” he questioned. “Should I come over to that side?”

“No,” Namjoo shook her head and forced herself to pick up her utensils. Her mind still raced. She was extremely uncomfortable.

“So where did you go?” he asked. When she didn’t reply he glanced back up to see her frowning lost in thought, her food still untouched. “Namjoo.”

Against her will, her heart leapt at the sound of her name coming from his lips. She wanted to dig a hole and disappear. Really, why was he here doing this to her?

The utter frustration warping through her veins rushed hotly through her. She was more confused with him than with her own feelings that rocked back and forth. He had kissed her then exclaimed he hated her, would forever stand in the way of her happiness. And for some reason, he had acted upon her in Incheon with unexplainable intimacy. Then he chased her in the rain when she was found out and held her throughout the night, even telling her his innermost secrets. She had used him but he was still here, acting all gentle and nice instead of throwing fire at her. What were his real intentions? 

“What do you want from me?” she asked with a shaky breath. “You said you hated me, so why are you treating me this way?” something hot heightened in her and she struggled out from his legs, shoving the table his way as she stood to her feet. “What do you want from me?!”

Sehun stared up at her appalled. “Namjoo.”

“No!” she shook her head. “Don’t say my name. I’m,” she stared with broadened eyes, “Choonhee.”

Stunned and speechless, the two stared at each other. Losing his appetite, the chopsticks clattered onto the plate loudly and Sehun stood to face her. Namjoo tensed and her breathing shortened. She might be throwing a fit for nothing, but it was his fault. He was confusing her.

“If you hate me, just hate me.” Namjoo glared at him through the strands of hair that had loosened from her hair clip. “Don’t ever be nice to me. I don’t have the energy to be confused by you right now.”

His expression softened to an extent that she could see his hearts in his eyes. Just what was wrong with him?! Why was he looking at her that way, the same way he had in the shoe store?! Didn’t he know how it messed with her train of thoughts?! She didn’t like him doing this to her.

“I,” he softly said, “lied. I don’t hate you.”

Namjoo unwillingly stole a glance at him and averted her eyes. She could hear him stepping around the table toward her and quickly shrugged him off when he touched her arm. It made her skin tingle and her heart race. She hated it.

“I told you not to touch me.” she muttered, her eyes strictly trained on the dead stove.

“You had a hard time, didn’t you?” he asked.

Namjoo wanted to squeeze her eyes in her helpless state. She ended up turning back to look at him and lashed, “Seriously! Why are you doing this to me?!”

And she regretted the moment their eyes locked. The galaxy in his eyes immediately lured her, imprisoning her. She suddenly felt weak to the knees. The heart imprisoned behind her ribs bled for him. That strange sensation that once pumped through her veins was now back and ever so present in her body. She felt it. His sincerity; the same as that night when he told her about Choonhee because he wanted her to know. Pursing her lips in order to hold herself together, she felt herself start to slip away.

A moment later his hand brushed across the back of her head, the other over her back and he pulled her into his embrace. The touch was so gentle, none she’d ever felt before and she felt something in her crack. She found her face buried against his shoulder and clutched onto him, for the first time feeling some form of warm affection since becoming Choonhee. He felt so strong and so built, and it was so good she didn’t want to let go.

“I’m sorry I was mean,” he apologized. “I didn’t know. I’m sorry Namjoo.”

\\\\\

After dropping Namjoo off Kai immediately scrolled down his window to air out the leftover perfume from her that had stained his passenger seat. It irritated him to have a part of her in his car and didn’t sit right with him. He didn’t like feeling flustered.

In soon time he reached the jewelry shop he had made a trip to a few days ago, just before Namjoo had come to him to let him know who she was. The woman he’d met with then immediately greeted him inside. He was led to the corner booth and told to wait while she went to retrieve the item he had ordered and reserved.    

“It came in just at the right time,” the woman brought out the soft velvet box and handed it to him. “You can open it to check and see if it’s to your satisfaction.”

Taking the box into his hand he pushed it open and glanced at the 18 karat white gold Willow Diamond ring.

“It’s perfect,” he smiled.

Namjoo would put it on. He would have everything prepared perfectly for her.