SIX

MIRACLE IN NOVEMBER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fall came. Autumn leaves fell as they sat side by side admiring the sunset. Chanyeol playfully scooped up the piles of dry leaves, threw them into the air and blew on them. He looked back at Baekhyun and smiled broadly. Baekhyun smiled back as his gaze returned to the sunset. His thought went to Taeyeon, who was still in a deep sleep on the hospital bed. He felt a tear escaped his eyes. Quickly, his finger went to his eye and wiped it away. But Chanyeol had seen it.

“What’s wrong, Baekhyun?” he asked, his large eyes full of concern. Baekhyun looked up at his face and thought hard whether he should let him know. It was a painful memory to remember. After pausing for a moment, Baekhyun pushed himself off the ground and took Chanyeol’s arm.

“Come, I’ll take you there,” Baekhyun’s voice was soft and low, as if he was whispering. Chanyeol found that weird but he didn’t question him as he followed Baekhyun mindlessly, stumbling on a few steps due to his tall height and long wobbly legs.

 

~   ~   ~

 

Chanyeol’s smile faded when he saw her lying there, on the hospital bed. Her orange brown hair was soft as they lay beside her petite little face. Her closed eyes showed no hope of waking up. Her thin pale lips showed no signs of life. Her scrawny fingers clasped against one another as her hands rested on her chest.

            “She’s lovely,” Chanyeol whispered.

            “Yes, she is,” Baekhyun whispered back, his voice dripped with sadness.

            “Who is she?” Chanyeol asked, looking at Baekhyun, “Is she someone important to you?”

            Baekhyun thought Chanyeol might regain his memory upon seeing her. But then he decided that this was a memory too painful for a happy person like him to remember. Baekhyun bit down on his lip.

            “Yes,” Baekhyun solemnly replied, “She’s my…I loved her very much.”

            “What happened to her?”

            “It was an accident.” Baekhyun answered briefly as he lowered his head and stared at the ground. Just some time ago, the old Baekhyun would have yelled at Chanyeol, blaming him for all that have happened. But now he realized Chanyeol was not to blame. No one was to blame.

            Before Baekhyun could stop him, Chanyeol had walked to Taeyeon’s bed and sat beside it. He clasped her hand between both of his. He closed his e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter