TWELVE

MIRACLE IN NOVEMBER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wake up, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol opened his eyes groggily only to find Baekhyun’s face shining down on him. Baekhyun’s voice was soft and low, like a silent morning call. Chanyeol yawned and stretched his arms wide. Sitting up on his bed, he stared at Baekhyun blankly, clearly still in the state of half asleep.

“Don’t you remember what day it is today?” Baekhyun asked, smiling at him broadly. Chanyeol frowned, scratched the back of his head but eventually shook his head sideways. Baekhyun pulled on Chanyeol’s arm, forcing him out of bed.

“Today is the 27th of November,” Baekhyun told him, “Your birthday, you idiot.”

“Really?” Chanyeol stared at him in disbelief.

“What? When do you think your birthday is?”

“I…I don’t remember,” Chanyeol scratched the back of his head again, following Baekhyun numbly as he let Baekhyun lead him, pulling him down the stairs.

            “Come on,” Baekhyun said, grinning at him, “Let’s have some fun today.”

            “But what about the swans?” Chanyeol asked in a worried tone, “We’re supposed to finish it soon right?”

            “Don’t you want to at least celebrate a little on your own birthday?” Baekhyun asked as he stopped walking. Chanyeol looked uncertain. Not really wanting Chanyeol to make a choice, Baekhyun interrupted his thoughts.

            “It’s only for the afternoon anyway,” he insisted, “Just relax, Chanyeol. It’s your birthday after all.”

            “Oh, alright,” Chanyeol eventually gave in. His lips slowly forming a smile and Baekhyun smiled satisfactorily back at him. Helping Chanyeol with the jacket, Baekhyun led him out of the house. Chanyeol’s eyes squinted under the bright sun. He could barely open them as the sun burn mercilessly onto his face.

            “Here, put this on,” Baekhyun handed him a pair of extra shades he had brought along. He put it over Chanyeol’s ears and Chanyeol oohed in amazement.

            “Let’s go,” Baekhyun nudged him and Chanyeol followed him down the road towards a destination that Chanyeol did not know.

 

~   ~   ~

 

They arrived at a place where people spend their free time picnicking, swimming, tanning, eating and whatever you could do at a beach. Baekhyun found them a nice spot under a shady tree and place the picnic mat under it.

            “Chanyeol, what’s your favorite flavor?”

            Chanyeol frowned again as he tried hard to remember.

            “I don’t really…”

            “What’s your favorite now? Just think of right now, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun smiled warmly at him. He feared that Chanyeol might get hurt if he kept on trying to remember things that he could not remember no matter how hard he tried.

            “Chocolate?”

            “Okay,” Baekhyun grinned, “Stay right here, Chanyeol. I’ll be right back.”

            “Where are you going?”

            “Just stay where you are, I’ll be right back.” Baekhyun was already halfway off the beach as he waved at Chanyeol. Chanyeol pouted as he hugged his long legs near to his chest. The warm breeze caressed his face and he closed his eyes. The wind travelled through his hair and went down his nape.

            Chanyeol looked around the beach. Couples were feeding each other ice cream, children were running around playing ball, some people wal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter