Few Years Ago

Chen's Story and Suho's Little Box

Chen POV

I was in the hospital one night. I need to check my heart once every 6 months due to an accident I had earlier in my life.

“Hmm, alright, they were doing just fine,” said the nurse smiling, “However, have more rest now since I can see that your heart work too much sometimes.”

“Yeah,” laughed my doctor who was checking the chart earlier, “I bet you still have your sports in your blood."

I put on a fake laugh, I didn’t like to talk about my past.

Suho noticed the awkwardness and asked me to sit on one of the couches because he need to talk to the doctor. I groaned and sat down. It was not a big deal actually, every time I go for a heart checkup, my brother would always take time to talk to the doctor. He never told me what the doctor said and why he wanted to talk to the doctor but it was out of my concerned to care.

When he was done with everything, we went home. I didn’t say a single word remembering on what the doctor said earlier. It was not funny. Not funny at all. Suho seemed to notice it and tried to talk to me but I only answered with a sound and did not continue to speak.

After a long car ride, I went straight to my room. As I opened the door, the light from behind me lighted up my room without me turning on the lights. Even though it was still dim, I could see my shelf displaying all my trophies and medals arrogantly. I walked slowly towards it. I scan through all the trophies. ‘Best in Running’, ‘Highest High Jump’, ‘Fastest runner’, ‘Soccer Champion’ and so on. All of the trophies were tall and big that shone every time anyone entered my room. They would all scramble inside in the sight of my first trophy and they would praised me for all my awards. However, that just made me felt worse.

Flashback

It was hot and sunny that day. My sweat was dripping from my forehead and wet the ground. I was jogging in place to make my body pumped up.

“All competitors please ready position.” Said the announcer.

I went to my spot and looked around me. Everyone was elder than me. I was in row number 2 while my brother was in row number 6. I needed to beat 6 different competitors in order to win this race.

You might be wondering why my brother was in the same race as me. Well, I was 11 that time and I joined a 10-15 years old race. My brother was definitely 19 but his heart was always weak since he was born. He never could run as fast as a 10 year old. So, the judge would think it was fair to put him in the younger category instead. His heart was completely different than mine. Unlike him, my heart was stronger than an ordinary 11 year old that caused me to be so good at sports. I won all sports competition that I joined and I took pride in that. I loved playing sports, I loved it so much that my world revolved around it, I didn’t know what to do in the weekend without sports.

“Ready,” said the referee.

I put my hand on the ground.

“Set.”

I put my feet on a comfortable position and ready to push. I looked at the 100 M track.

“Go.”

I pushed myself forward and ran as fast as I could as the gun was shot. The air caused my hair to be a mess when I saw a guy in front of me. I was breathing heavily and ran as fast as my sporty legs can bring me. I closed my eyes so that my mind won’t control me. I finally heard a whistle. I opened my eyes, I won.

Later that afternoon, I was in my car, wearing my medal proudly as my parents drive home. I was polishing the award with my bare hands while my brother stare at the shiny thing on my neck furiously. I looked up to him and showed him my ‘What’s up?’ face. He just crumpled his hand tightly.

“Hey JongDae,” He said slowly. I nod my head to acknowledge him. “You know that I always wanted to have a sports medal on my own right?”

“Yeah.” I said without looking at him.

“You never dreamt to win one right?” he asked.

“Ah.” I said arrogantly.

“Why don’t you lost for me? I mean, don’t you want me to be happy?” he asked suddenly raising his voice a little.

“Even if I lost for you today, someone else would run past me.” I said without noticing his anger rising.

There was a silence between us for a while.

“Give me that medal.”

“What?” I asked wasn’t sure on what he just said.

“I said, GIVE ME THAT MEDAL!!”

I widen my eyes as Suho pounced on me like a lion.

“MOM! MOM! DAD!” I shouted as I found Suho pulling on my hair.

I never saw Suho this angry before so I was really shocked. However, I moved really fast so I dodged a couple of attack. Our fight went to the first row of the car where my parents were. My father driving and my mother beside him. I accidently covered my dad’s view and with my back and Suho disturbed his hand. The car spun around out of control and my dad couldn’t see anything. My mom was screaming while we took no notice of the situation. Finally, everything went blank.

 

I found myself on a hospital bed when I woke up. Bandage was all over my body and I barely move. The first thing I saw was the doctor and Suho talking with one another seriously. As Suho saw me waking up, he walked out instantly and leave the doctor alone.

“Jongdae, are you awake?” asked the doctor smiling.

“Emm, I am full of bandages. Am I okay?” I asked the doctor confused.

“Well, you will recover for 4 months I supposed but don’t worry that isn’t too long. How do you feel right now?” asked the doctor while checking at the paper.

“A little dizzy but I feel fine right now.” I said with my best voice, trying to not look as sick as I was. What a day. I could imagine the students in my school whispering about the most athletic student went to the hospital. However, I remembered about the others.

“How about my parents doctor?” I asked a little worried.

“Oh, they have a little more injuries than you do but I am sure they would be fine.”

I remembered about Suho wearing his full clothes without bandages.

“What about Joonmyeon?”

“Oh he is fine, you did not need to worry about him. No operations necessary, no heavy medications necessary.” Said the doctor like the happiest man in the world.

“No operations necessary, no heavy medications necessary.” I repeated his words.

 

No operations necessary, no heavy medications necessary. No operations necessary, no heavy medications necessary. No operations necessary, no heavy medications necessary.

 

Those words, those terrible, terrible words. They kept echoing inside my mind. That wasn’t fair! Suho was the one who started the problem and the rest of us received the consequences instead of him. I was really furious, I tighten my fist to prevent me from doing anything violent.

“Jongdae, is everything alright?” asked the doctor as he saw my tighten fist.

I quickly realized what I was doing and loosen my grip, “Yeah, I am fine. Is there any heavy injuries on me doctor?”

“Emm,” stuttered the doctor nervously, “I heard that you like to play sports. Don’t you?”

“Oh,” I said excitingly to get ready to show my skills off, “Yeah, I love to do them.”

“Well,” said the doctor more nervous than just now, “I am afraid that you wouldn’t want to do them often.”

“WHAT?!” I shouted in surprised, “What-what do you mean?”

The doctor sighed a little, “The accident caused critical damage on your heart. You shouldn’t be doing heavy and long term sports. No training and no more than 30 minutes a day. Don’t run so often, if possible jog instead. Your heart would have a hard time controlling your body when you exercise so better don’t do it much.”

What the . He made me lost on what I love the most in my whole life. Since that day onwards, I have a hate feeling towards Suho.

End of Flashback.

I made it actually, instead, after the operation, I was much better and left the hospital early and the doctor increase my time to an hour a week! However, unfortunately for my parents, they didn’t make it. I cried for days but there was nothing I could do. Me and Suho live together alone since that day. I shifted to my left and felt a hard but small box underneath my hand. I looked at that thing, it was a small box.

Flashback (OMG so sorry to have another flashback)

“Joonmyeon, Jongdae, come here.” Said my father.

“Coming!” both of us shouted as we raced to him.

“Hey, I need to give you guys something.” Said my father in an exciting tone.

“Yay Gifts!” again, we shouted happily together but only to be disappointed at the image of a small, cheap, old box.

“Ei, appa what is this?” asked Suho first disappointed.

“Don’t think it about the outside value, think about the inside value. This is not an ordinary box, this is the box where you will let your feelings go. Later, you will have stress in your future, it is hard to tell somebody else but you may freely tell this box.”

“Emm, okay.” We said holding our box to each other.

It was a surprise that during that time we thought that it was stupid and never used it but we kept it anyway. Finally, after that incident, I went home and quickly wrote on a piece of paper that I tore from a larger piece of paper. ‘I hate Kim Joonmyeon’ and confidently put it inside my box.

However, one day after I came home from a camp, I went straight to my room without informing Suho I was home. Once I open my room door, I saw Suho reading a piece of paper, my box lid was opened. He was shocked with my early arrival and dropped the piece of paper. The sentence ‘I hate Kim Joonmyeon’ was clearly written on it.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING? DID YOU JUST LOOK INSIDE MY BOX?” I asked furiously.

Suho lowered his eyes and sighed heavily, “Maybe I deserve it. Yeah, why am I so stupid? I deserve it.” He walked out the room, his head looking at the floor feeling ashamed and wronged.

I picked up the paper, I put it in the box back.

 

That night, I was having dinner all alone but surprisingly Suho sat down and join me. After what he did this afternoon, he still dare to face me.

“Emm, Jongdae,” he started as he took a spoonful of his spoon. I looked at him, “I just wanted to say that, about this afternoon, I am sorry for opening your box. I know I am not supposed to open that box earlier to protect privacy.”

I just look at him that it was nothing but he smiled awkwardly and continue eating. I smirked and shook my head at the elder in front of me. He was not eating much, only to be done few spoons later. He was eating pretty fast too. While he ate, he didn’t even looked at me. Was he really that guilty? I just continue to stare at him like he was a jerk when he lifted his head up.

“Tomorrow, I am a new teacher and you are a new student. Would you like to change your name?” asked Suho.

“Change my name?” I asked, it sounded ridiculous but it was a new thing.

“Yeah,” He said, “I think that it was not brilliant but okay idea. I figured out that you didn’t like your reputation ruined.”

“Okay,” I said playing along with his game, “What do you want to name yourself?”

“I was thinking about Lim Sumin. Is that good?” he asked

I chuckled since it sounded ridiculous, “I hate that man, change it. How about Lim Suho?”

“No, Lim Jimin?” he asked.

“Jimin don’t go so well in Lim. I prefer you with the name Suho.”

“Fine, Lim Suho it is?” he asked again.

“Yeah, up to you.”

“Ok,” he said tapping on his chin, “I would like your name to be Chen.”

“Chen? Why?”

“You named me, now I name you.” He said giving me a sneaky smile.

“Fine,” I said, “Kim YiChen?”

“Where do you get the Kim Yi from?” he asked.

“Kim our family name and Yi is like Lee. The family name of a lot of my senpai.”

Suho shook his head, “Got it. Lim Suho and Kim Yichen. Make sure you introduce yourself as Kim Yichen tomorrow.”

He finished his plate and left before me. After I was done, I went back to my room and found a note. I knew that Suho wrote that.

“Chen-a I am sorry for opening your box earlier. However, please forgive men, I would never do it again. I know you are hoping to seek revenge but please, do not open my box. For a horrible secret would be revealed.”

End of Flashback.

 

------

Hey guys sorry for the long update but these days is my exam week so I will have less time to update. Please bare with me :3 what do you think so far? what should I improve on? I should be continuing the story -_- o y my grammar is the worst thing you can find in this planet. Please comment subscribe and upvote thanks ! i love you all