In the Middle

Fishy and Santokki's Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Oh hey! I changed my username! Kekeke Tadaaaaa! RoyalBlackELF!!! (smirks) I don’t know what the karma points are all about so I used like 70% of it for this. It’s kinda badass, ne? Hmmn? No? What’d you say? It’s nonsense? Tch. I hate you. -_-

 

Puahahaha! Let’s all support Super Junior’s comeback!!! You guys, ready? Coz I sure am!!!! Don't rely on SM. smh. ELFs got their back as always. ;D

 

URINEUN ELPEU EOYOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“How come you only knew about this now?”

 

“There was nothing suspicious back then.”

 

A laugh full of sarcasm echoed in the room.

 

“Prejudice betrays.”

 

 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“I don’t need your damn apology.”

 

“I know.”

 

“You don’t!” Pause. “Because if you do, this wouldn’t happen in the first place.”

 

“But it wasn’t my control.”

 

 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

 

 

“It is always our control.”

 

 

 

 

Smoke from the cigarette enveloped the room. The person standing on the window threw the still burning stick on the aquarium as the fishes inside it scattered in fear. That person walked towards a girl’s schoolbag near the office’s couch.

 

“What a cute bunny.” The person’s eyes were fixed on a thing placed on top of the bag. Hands took a hold of a bunny stuff toy with a big, pink ribbon on its neck. Right hand on its fluffy body. Left hand on its cute head.

 

“Too bad . . .”

 

And those devil hands tore forcibly the toy apart in a matter of a split-second. Pieces of cotton fell on the floor along with the beheaded stuff toy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“. . . ‘Cause I hate rabbits.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hae, ppali! I need to meet them before the show starts! I won’t have the chance later on.” Dara shouted with a mask covering . She scampered her feet like a child arriving in a zoo.

 

 “W-wait Dara ah!” She was dragging the fish by the arm towards the hallway. There were a lot of people who were going in different directions. There were fans, staff, and guards finding their way around the narrow corridor.

 

Both were covered in heavy disguise from head to toe. Caps. Over-sized black jackets. Black masks. Sunglasses.

 

 “Aish, ppali!” She glared at him without stopping. “It’s because you overslept! That’s why we couldn’t leave your apartment early. That’s why we are so late! Tch.”

 

“What? But we’re an hour early. Oh! Mianhaeyo!” Donghae just bumped into someone but that person just shot him a glare and continued waving a Kathniel banner and a hotdog. The fish was holding two large paper bags each on both of his hands. “Dara, slow down. Plus, it isn’t my fault. It’s yours.” The fish was having a hard time squeezing his buffed body in the crowd while Dara wasn’t even sweating and passed by them as if walking on a 2NE1 concert stage.

 

“Mwo?! Why me?”

 

“You made me read that story! I couldn’t sleep the whole night! I was afraid I’d get nightmares about it and I would be stuck in that just like the kid in Insidious! Oh! Mianhaeyo! I didn’t mean to! Are you okay?” Donghae bowed down when a petite lady bumped on his left shoulder and almost stumbled on the floor. Again, she shot him a deathly glare before continuing her way out, waving a LED board and shouting with the other fans, “Lizquen ang may forever! Tabi kayo!”

 

“Heol! You’re overreacting! It wasn’t that bad! I’d say it’s romantic!” Dara shouted without looking back at him.

 

Donghae’s eyes widened at the back of his girlfriend who was leading him out the crowd. “Jebal! Can you not?! It’s disgus- Ow! Mianhaeyo!” He kept on bumping to someone in every step. Finally, they got out from the crowd and reached the end where guards were stopping people from passing through. Dara showed something to one of the guards and they let them immediately pass. Some fans tried to go with them but failed to do so.

 

The fish was panting already as they kept on walking towards the artists’ dressing rooms. They stopped in front of an artist’s room and when he thought that Dara was going to knock, the rabbit pushed him back, a few steps away from it. The fish took off his sunglasses and Dara did the same.

 

“W-wae? What’s going on?” Donghae looked at her perplexedly. Dara just stared at him but her eyes were thinking in deep thoughts.

 

“Jagi?”

 

“N-ne?” She bit the side of her lip from the inside of her mask.

 

“What’s wrong?” He raised both of his eyebrows at her.

 

Dara exhaled first before answering. “What am I gonna tell them?”

 

Donghae glanced to his left and then back to Dara. “Hello. How are you?”

 

“Ani! Not that!” She hit him lightly on the shoulder. “I mean . . . about you.”

 

“Oh, right.” The fish pondered for a while, thinking of the best answer.

 

A Sunday variety show in the Philippines called ASAP was having a show in Seoul; it would be aired next Sunday. The brightest Filipino artists had come together to perform for the Filipinos living and working in South Korea. Dara was ecstatic when her friend, Ana, texted her about it. Of course, she wouldn’t miss this chance to meet them again. She wouldn’t miss the chance for Donghae to meet them. But there was one thing she did miss . . . 

 

They’re not legal in the public’s eyes. In their presidents’ eyes. In some of their closest friends’ eyes.

 

There was no way she could introduce him as her boyfriend because for sure that would pass from one person to another. Filipinos are innate gossipers. Fact. And she’d be damned if the dating scandal would erupt first from the Philippines rather than in South Korea.

 

“Just tell them I’m your manager. I look like it. I got these bags.” The fish joked. “But seriously, just tell them that I’m one of 2NE1’s managers. They’ll surely buy it. If you tell them that you brought a friend then they might ask more. I won’t take off my mask and sunglasses. Promise.” Dara lifted her face up and saw Donghae smiling comfortingly at her.

 

And that pricked her heart.

 

It hurts them both whenever they tell other people that they are just friends. It’s like denying the existence of your other half in you life. What more to deny it right in front of his face?

 

“Ani.” Dara shook her head, suddenly feeling pissed at the situation. Pissed at her for not thinking before bringing her boyfriend in that place.

 

“Love,” called Donghae softly.

 

“I don’t want to.”

 

“Come on.”

 

“Let’s just go home, jagi.”

 

Pause.

 

“What?” Donghae was dumbfounded.

 

“Aigoo! Let’s get out of here. There’s always a next time, right?” Dara winked at him and began dragging him again by the arm but the fish stopped his feet after three steps.

 

“Sandara Park.”

 

Dara closed her eyes and pouted her lips as she tried facing him again. Donghae calling her in full name means he’s dead serious. As she opened her eyes, the fish’s straight face met hers.

 

“I said it’s okay. Trust me. It is.” Donghae said firmly but with a hint of softness behind it.

 

“But love-”

 

“I know how much you’re looking forward to this day. To meet your Filipino friends again.”

 

“But I really don’t wan-”

 

“Then I’d just go back in the car and wait for you till the show finishes.”

 

Dara crossed her eyebrows and pouted more. “Ani! What’s wrong with you?”

 

“Choose.” Donghae crossed his arms. “You entering that room with me as your manager? Or you entering that room solo?” He stared at her knowingly.

 

But stubborn Dara still tried to reason out. “If it were me, I’d be hurt whe-”

 

“It does sting a bit.” Donghae cut her off. “You denying my role in your life. It really does.” He admitted as he put the paper bags down and took a hold of Dara’s hands. “But it will sting me the most to see you walking away with these gifts you spent a long time finding just to give them and missing the chance of meeting and watching your friends perform simply because of me. I will never accept that.”

 

Dara softened her gaze at him and squeezed his hand tighter. She couldn’t say a thing.

 

“Jagi. I’m not just a pabo boyfriend, you know.” He chuckled while pinching her nose lightly. “I am an understanding fish too.”

 

“Sincha?” She asked teasingly. “You can be that understanding to my fanboys too? To Chanyeol ssi? How about to Ilwoo? To Young Kwang ssi? To Kiyong ssi? To Jiyong? And to Jaejoong sunbae?”

 

Donghae stiffened immediately and made a straight face. “Well, there are always exceptions though. Lots of them.” He pursed his lips into a thin line.

 

“Aigoo.” Dara pinched his left cheek and the two just laughed not minding the people who passed and looked weirdly at the two.

 

“Let’s go, uhm. . .” He paused. “Dara ssi?”

 

Dara nodded. “Ne managernim! Let’s!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s better to be managerzoned than friendzoned though. He thought. Donghae was standing on the corner of the dressing room while some of the Filipino artists were on the center and bombarding his girlfriend with questions in a language, which he doesn’t have any idea about. For half an hour, he watched people come and go the room and took a picture with Dara. He would always go near her side whenever people were beginning to ask for someone who could take the photo. Being the fake manager, it was his duty to treat his artist and its image well. He kept on telling himself. Behind the mask was a blush whenever Dara would ask him to be on her side and would introduce him to her friends.

 

He doesn’t care if they knew him only as a 2NE1 manager. The rabbit was busy handing out the things she bought in Korean stores and even some that were from Hawaii. She told Donghae to just stay beside her but he insisted on giving the space to her friends who missed her. Seeing Dara’s bright smile and hearing her contagious laugh were more than enough. Behind the mask was a smile that could only be brought out by Dara.

 

“Sandy. May tanong ako.” (This is for the readers who do not understand Tagalog, if there’s any. :)  - Sandy. I have a question.)

 

“Ano yun Kuya Vhong?” (What is it Vhong oppa?) Dara turned to the guy who was sitting on the make up table.

 

“Dati bang taga-Tondo tong manager mo?” (Is your manager from Tondo then?)

 

“Ha?” Dara glanced confusedly at her boyfriend. “Bakit?” (Why?)

 

“Mukhang snatcher ng cellphone sa kanto e.” (He looked like a snatcher of cellphone from the corner.)

 

Laughter erupted from the dressing room.

 

“H-hindi . . . Si kuya Vhong talaga. Uhm. Ano lang siya . . .uhm . . .” (N-no . . . Vhong oppa . . . uhm . . . He’s just . . . uhm . . .) Dara began stammering as she kept on glancing at her boyfriend.

 

In all honesty, who could blame them for thinking that way? Lee Donghae was covered from head to toe. Not even an inch of his skin could be seen. Both hands were on his pockets. A cap under the hood of his jacket. Head on the floor with a mask and sunglasses on. Yeah. Okay. He totally looked like one.

 

“Hindi Kuya Vhong! Hindi naman snatcher. Grabe ka.” (No Vhong hyung!  Not a snatcher. That’s too much.) Enrique Gil butted in.

 

“O? Ano pala?” (Oh? What then?) They all looked at the young handsome man whose right arm was on his leading lady, Liza’s, shoulders.

 

He grinned before answering. “Mas mukha siyang ninja ng Konoha.” (He looked more like that of a ninja from Konoha.)

 

This time the laughter was even louder than before. Vhong went down from the table and made a high-five with him. Liza lightly hit Enrique on his stomach while trying her best not to laugh.

 

“Ahahahaha.” Dara laughed awkwardly and looked at Donghae who was now looking at them. He got startled when they all started to laugh loudly.

 

“Mahiyain lang talaga siguro no Sandy?” (Maybe he’s simply shy, right Sandy?) Robi turned to Dara.

 

“O-oo. Tama! Mahiyain lang talaga ang manager ko pero sobrang bait niya tsaka . . .” (Y-yes. Right! My manager is naturally shy but he’s really kind and . . .) Sobrang gwapo. Mas gwapo sa inyo no. (Hella handsome. Way handsome than you guys are.) She wanted to add those but then they remained in her mind as she smiled back at them. “. . . kagagaling lang nya sa lagnat.” (. . . he just recovered from fever.)

 

“MERS?” Sam Milby asked her cautiously which earned a smack on the head from Maja.

 

Dara waved her hands frantically. “Syempre hindi!” (Of course not!)

 

“Manager!” Sarah Geronimo shouted at the fish whose head was bowed down. “Hello manager! Yoohoo!” Dara began to panic and looked at the Philippine’s Popstar Princess whose head was resting on her right shoulder.

 

“Hoy. Bat mo siya tinatawag?” (Hey. Why are you calling him?) Yeng pointed at her.

 

“Manager!” Donghae lifted his head when he heard a woman’s voice calling for someone. But he was caught off-guard when he saw all of the Filipino artists staring at him. “Manager!” Sarah pointed to his direction.

 

The fish slowly pointed a finger at his own chest.

 

“Yes, you!” Sarah then moved her head away from Dara and smiled at him. “What is your name po?”

 

 

 

 

Oh my God!

 

A friend of Dara notices my existence.

 

Wait.

 

She asked for my name, right? I heard it correctly? Name?

 

 

 

 

“Uhm.” Donghae put his right hand at his nape and began rubbing it slowly. “I’m-”

 

 

 

 

Oh no.

 

You can’t tell them your name!

 

There are Korean staff in this room fishy!

 

Think Dara!

 

Think of a name!

 

Oh!

 

I know! I read a unique name in 9gag last night.

 

 

 

 

 

“Lee-”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Moon Moon!!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara shouted at the top of her lungs while pointing a finger at her fake manager.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.           .           .           .           .           .          

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone was stunned. It was as if time was stopped by some inexplicable force. A million angels already passed by but no one moved or said anything.

 

“M-moon Moon, ate Sandy?” (M-moon moon, Sandy eonni?) Kathyrn was the first to recover from that.

 

“Ehehehehe.” Dara laughed awkwardly and glanced at the fish whom she could describe at the moment as already fuming and totally embarrassed on his feet.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DA HELL WITH THAT NAME DARA?!?!?!?!

 

Moon Moon?!

 

I’m freaking Moon Moon?!

 

What am I?!

 

Aigoo! This rabbit can’t even think of a decent name!

 

Does she even realized how stupid that name sounds?!

 

I’m Lee Moon Moon?!

 

 

 

 

“Moon Moon? As in, dalawang buwan? Yung nakikita naten pag gabi? Yung bilog, ate?” (Moon Moon? As in, two moons? The one we see at night? The round one, noona?) Nash questioned her in utmost disbelief that someone like him exists in this world.

 

“Y-yes.” Dara nodded hesitatingly.

 

 

 

 

.           .           .           .           .           .          

 

 

 

 

“Seryoso ka Sandy?” (Are you serious Sandy?) Piolo asked her.

 

“Uhm . . .y-yes?”

 

 

 

 

.           .           .           .           .           .

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter