Chapter 5

Blessed Agony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I slicked my hair into a ponytail and threw myself onto my fluffy bed, its warmth and comfort welcoming me. Squeezing my eyes shut, I tried to shove away millions of thoughts crossing my mind and allow it to completely clear off just for a good few seconds. It was perfectly fine until a certain face popped up and I clicked my tounge at the thought.

“Every Wednesday and Friday, after school, at the library. Make sure you show up on time, keep your mouth shut and do not tell anyone.”

Tchh, did he think I’d obediently listen to and do whatever he wanted? Puh-leeze, I wasn’t that dumb. Heaving a frustrated sigh for the umpteenth time of the day, I checked the current time out. It was almost dinner time so no wonder my stomach was growling. I got on my feet and changed my uniform into a more comfortable outfit, reaching my phone later on to order a delivery. Mom wouldn’t be home early so I got no other choice but to feed myself. I had never been a great cook in the first place and the whole process was such a handful never had it crossed my mind to give it a try.

I was chomping on my favorite pizza, folding my feet and leaned back on the couch, laughing hard at the nightly-aired variety show when I heard a click sound and a moment later, the front door was swung open.

“Dad? You’re home early.” I eyed my father curiously, not expecting him to be home at this hour.

He gave me one simple nod and hum as replies and rested his eyes on my dinner instead “Pizza?”

I responded with the same way he did and watched him approaching, closing the distance between us. “Careful, you’re gonna get fat from eating these all by yourselves.”

I frowned. What a gentle reminder. “Want to help me finish them?”

“Eww.. you know I don’t like those stuffs. They taste weird, don’t you think?”

“God, they’re amazing.” I exclaimed dramatically, handing him a slice.

His head shake wasn’t less dramatic either “Call your father old-fashioned or whatever but I prefer my kimchi jiggae.”

It was nice to have this kind of little moment with dad. I understood the huge responsibility he held for possessing quite a significant position at the firm caused him to barely have much time to spend with me. He came home hours past dinner time and left early the next morning. I had quite a hard time adjusting to the new routine when we first moved to the capital city of the nation. The life back then in my hometown allowed the three of us to sit and have a simple family dinner together every single evening because dad used to came home from work at around seven. I was accustomed to that kind of daily situation so it felt kind of lonely when mom and I were having our dinner alone.

During these six years, I grew up to notice that dad had never once lost his enthusiasm and passion for the job. I might not talk to him often but I knew my dad well enough to discern his different kind of expressions and guessed his current mood.

I was glad that tonight he looked so relaxed, his eyes focused on the screen while the corners of his lips tilted upwards into a gentle smile. I could see slight wrinkles forming around the corner of his eyes whenever he flashed me that fatherly smile. Dad was a gentle and kind figure but when it came to discipline, commitment and punctuality, you would never want to mess with him.

“So how’s your school?”

Attention still glued on the screen, I nodded “So far so good.”

“Your mom told me about you rushing every morning to school.”

I held my breath. I should’ve known that mom told every single happening to dad but this whole new topic really transformed the supposedly tranquil atmosphere into a tensed one. Dad had been giving me numbers of warnings and lectures about how important punctuality was and the calm but stern tone he used during the talk clearly showed that he expected you not to feign ignorance.

“Don’t worry dad. I always reach school on time.”

“You know I don’t wish to see any more complains about punctuality on your report.”

I watched him getting up from the couch after giving my head a pat. I exhaled a deep and long breath, cringing when I imagined how catastrophic it was in case dad found out about my regular detentions. I remembered being grounded because of the same issue when I was still in early year of my elementary school and as a young gullible little girl, it freaking scared the hell out of me and I vowed to never experience it ever again. I understood that he was doing it for my sake so that I learned about something called 'self-responsibility'. Dad had always been a wise man and more of a quiet type. However, it was never awkward being around him. I paid him my utmost respect and that was exactly a reason why the natural instinct of never wanting to disappoint him was planted on the back of my mind. I wanted to be the daughter whom he could be proud of. Well, the problem was the huge effort I had to put to be so. When things came to involving my precious sleep time, I still had a long way to learn how to compromise.

 

The next day at school was the same old except for the handing of the first art assignment of this new term. The whole class sighed in annoyance but the mood brightened up as quickly when Mrs. Lee announced that it was supposed to be a group work of two. I listened boredly. For me, it wouldn’t do any difference. At the end, we still had to be burdened by the work, especially for an artistic-talentless person like me. I might be one of the top students but believe me, being a general type of student wasn’t that nice. I’d rather be one with a specific liking and talent so I wouldn’t get a headache everytime thinking about what I wanted to major in after my high school year was over.

“I had a work partner chosen for you all so you’re not going to find one on your own.” I heard Mrs. Lee resuming on her words and just like that, the cheers died down as quickly as it broke out.

“Quiet class, no protests.” The elder clapped her hands and started calling out names. Whoever I was paired with, I just hoped that the person at least had a better art sense than I did because I really at it. Drawing was never really my thing but anyhow, I doubted whether I really had one.

“Yoon chae rim, Choi Se Na.” And as if God just answered my prayer, I was granted one of the art club students. I peered at the former class monitor and saw her flashing me a friendly smile. Well, I rarely talked to the girl but from a few times I did so, I knew that she wasn’t a bad acquaintance.

The school bell rang just a few minutes after the grouping was finally done. I was getting up from my seat, ready to leave for lunch break when I saw my work partner approaching me.”

“Hey..” I briefly greeted.

She smiled. “Hey…so I’m just wondering.. When should we start working on it?”

air through my teeth, I suggested “Tomorrow, after school?”

“That should be fine. The earlier the better, isn’t it?

“Sure..I’ll get all the stuffs ready and we can start discussing on the theme tomorrow.”

“That’s great. I’ll get going then. See you.” I returned her a small wave while she left the class to meet her friends that had been waiting for her at the class entrance. Now that the conversation was over, I was reminded with my grumbling stomach so I dragged Eun Byul, ignoring her nagging as I led her to the canteen.

“You’re damn lucky. How could you get Se Na as your partner? I pity her,really. You should seriously learn some skills unless you’re going to drag her scores down together with yours.”

I clicked my tounge and nudged her side slightly. “Come on. I’m not that bad okay? I know you’re just jealous to not be paired up with me.”

Rolling her eyes, she retorted “Oh God, why should I? My partner is one of a hot guy….”

“And he isn’t available.” I cut her mid-sentence and smirked when I saw the change in her expression. Our small bickering session was going on until we realized how it was close to impossible to find a place to sit around the crowded canteen. We had always left early as soon as the bell rang to avoid this kind of situation but my conversation with Se Na held us back for a good

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter