Chapter 25

Blessed Agony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What were you even thinking, Yoon Chae Rim?”

I kept my head down and eyes on the ground as I halfheartedly listened to the lecture that had been going on since the moment dinner was over. I closed the door behind me and took off the pair of heels I was wearing. I saw my dad settle down on the couch in the living room so I dragged my feet into the area.

“I told you it wasn’t my fault, dad." I muttered in frustration.

“Good so now talking back to your father, huh?”

I opened my mouth to protest but immediately closed it again when he shot me a hard-eyed stare. Perhaps sensing the tension, my mom approached and carefully seated herself beside him.

Placing a hand on his right arm, she coaxed “Honey, I think you need some rest. I’m sure Chae Rim won’t do that again. Right, dear?” 

I bobbed my head slightly, refusing to make any eye contact.

“If you’re planning to go somewhere on your own, at least give us a call. And that night you said you weren’t close with Mr. Oh’s son. The whole story just doesn’t make sense. Are you making things up, huh?” 

Making things up? What the---? “Dad, I-

“Unless you were lying about not being close with him.” He cut me off.

“I wasn't lying.” I defended myself, frustration caused me to abruptly rise from my seat.

“Yoon Chae Rim enough!” My mom warned, shaking her head as a signal for me to stop talking. Then, she turned to her husband “ Honey, go get some rest. I’m sure this will never happen again.”

Letting out a furious sigh, Dad got on his feet and made his way past me. Glancing down at me one last time before marching off the room, he announced in a stern voice “You’re only sixteen so instead of investing your time in boys or relationship, focus on your study so that you can get into a good college. And next time you’re going somewhere on your own or with a friend, let us know in advance.”

I bit my lower lip hard to prevent myself from spilling out the wretched feeling that had risen up my throat. What had I done to deserve his scolding? Why did I have to take responsibility for the trouble that I didn’t make? Those were the questions to which I desperately demanded an answer. Unfortunately, they were stuck at the back of my throat. I had always been aware that life is unfair but never had I expected that it would go to such an extent.

*************************************************************************************************************************

“I so badly wished I was invited. Can you imagine hanging out with those guys?” 

I slammed my locker shut and rubbed my ears which were almost deafened by the high-pitched squeals a group of girls next to me let out. 

“Do you think he’ll still invite Kim Hye Jeon? After Oh Sehun broke up with her for a stupid reason.”

I didn’t miss the look one of them threw at me when she gave her menacing snort. 

“But you know what? Doesn’t it mean that we have a better chance now that we have her instead of Kim Hye Jeon to take down?”

Hugging the textbooks I needed for the next few classes to my chest, I turned a blind eye to their remarks and kept my cool as I marched past the bunch.

“Hey you! Don’t pretend like you don’t hear us.”  One of them called out, her grip firm on my upper arms. I couldn’t help but to hiss in pain when I felt her claw-like fingernails dig through the fabric of my uniform and into my skin.

I wriggled and shoved her hand away, spitting the words right onto her face “Don’t touch me!”

“How dare you!”

I could see her eyes lit up in imaginary vicious flames and my thoughts were only confirmed when a second later I found myself shoved against the locker with a shocking force. I winced in pain when a sharp stinging pain shot through my side. On reflex, I rested a hand on the spot, mentally suspecting a bruise to start forming from the impact.

 Crossing her arms over her chest, she snarled “ Don’t be stupid, ! He’s just toying with you. Just because Chanyeol sunbae invited you to his party doesn’t mean that you mean something to them. He’s only doing it out of pity. So stop being so cocky unless you want to test us and have it worse than this.” 

I let out a silent scream when she pinched the sore spot and shoved me hard one last time, causing me to lose my grip and the textbooks I was holding ended up scattered all over the floor.

I tore out a lined piece of paper from my notes, scribbling on it as I mentally did a countdown till the time the bell would ring. Still enraged by what happened this morning, I could hardly pay attention to the class and the fact that the person talking in front was probably the most boring teacher in the school wasn’t helping at all.

As soon as the sound of the bell was heard, everyone shot up from their seats and headed out the door. I stayed in my seat, patiently waiting till most of them had made their ways out because I didn’t want to risk getting shoved or elbowed by the crowd. The pain on my right side was already bad as it was so I didn’t need anyone to make it worse.

I pushed my chair back, ready to stand up when a figure appeared on the doorway. A person that didn’t belong in this class. When our eyes met, he beamed brightly and waved frantically at me to which I responded with a confused “Huh?” He beckoned me over with his fingers so I hesitantly walked over to where he stood.

“Hey! Just wanna remind you. Don’t forget it’s tonight, okay?” He smiled, his eyes sparkling warmly. “Oh and I need to give you the address. Good thing I asked Sehun if he’s driving you there but he said he isn’t. And you never bothered to text and ask me the address either. So give me your number. I’ll text you the address.” 

I eyed the phone he was holding out for a second before his voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

“You will come, right?”

I looked up and was greeted by his expectant big round eyes. Instantly, I felt slightly apologetic for second guessing my decision to show up at his party. Not that I wanted to in the first place but the incident earlier today had drained me out completely I just wasn’t in the mood for any further social interaction.

“Yes.” But I nodded and grabbed his phone, carefully typing my numbers on the keypad  despite all the inner battle going on inside my head.

“Great. See you tonight then.” He clapped, flashing me one last grin before he slipped his phone back to his pocket and turned around to join his friends.

*************************************************************************************************************************

“Be home before 11, alright?”

“I know I know, mom. I might even come home earlier than that.” I yelled back, making sure that she could hear me from the kitchen.

I grabbed a pair of stilettos off the shoe rack and put them on. Standing in front of the mirror hanging by the foyer, I ran my fingers through my hair and did a final check on my makeup. Everything looked alright. I closed the door behind me and saw the cab I had booked earlier waiting in front of the gate. I fished my cell out of my purse and showed the driver the address Park Chanyeol texted me. As the cab drove by a certain neighbor’s house, I noticed how the tall gate was wide open as if ready to make

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter