Chapter 17

Blessed Agony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I only fight for what’s worth it.”

Pfft, of course to him I was worth absolute nothing. However, I didn’t think it was necessary to declare it in front of everyone. As if the other Lee Tae Yong bastard hadn’t humiliated me enough. It seemed like with each day that had passed, more and more people that I didn’t even know appeared out of nowhere and decided they would transform into my bully. I didn’t even know that guy’s name until after the incident earlier. All this time, my knowledge about him was simply limited to how he had never been in a good term with Sehun and Sehun only. It’s as if they were born natural enemies. I didn’t recall seeing him around last year so he was probably a transfer. Whenever a big fight broke out at school, then there was no doubt that it was between him and Sehun. They despised each other for whatever reason to which I didn’t give a . It was the fact that he tried to drag me into their conflicts that irked me tremendously. To make things worse, now I had a fresh new label strongly attached to me. Hoe. 

I sighed. This too shall pass. You're not weak. You’re not weak. I convinced myself.

I sprinted to the bus stop when I noticed the vehicle coming from a distance. My day was long and tiring I wanted to go home so bad but I felt guilty and was worried sick about Eun Byul so I changed my original plan and headed to her residence. I thought I needed to check on her in person rather than over a phone call. 

It was after a few stops when I sat up straight, double taking the familiar neighborhood before I decided to press on the stop button signaling the driver that I had reached my destination.

I got off the bus and strolled down the block and I halted my steps in front of the familiar mansion of the Jang family. I let out a deep sigh, palm sweaty and nervous as hell.

I pressed the doorbell.

A face I recognised appeared from behind the slowly opened gate. “Good afternoon Ms. Yoon. How are you?”

I waved my hand a little, returning the guard’s greeting “I’m fine Mr. Kang. How are you?” 

“I’m good. Come in, I’ll let Ms. Jang know that you’re here.”

I muttered a quick thank you as I followed him inside the house. We barely made it to the living room when we bumped into Eun Byul’s mom and I instantly greeted her with a bow.

“Good afternoon ajhumeoni.” 

I was prepared to be greeted back by a warm hug like how she always did but I looked up only to receive an acknowledging nod from the lady followed by a meek smile. 

“Oh you’re here Chae Rim ah.” She said.

I nodded and smiled back at her.

“I’m sorry Chae Rim but I don’t think you can see Eun Byul now. She’s grounded.”

I gulped. For the nth time of the day I was splashed with a wave of remorse. I think I knew exactly why the girl was grounded.

“Chae Rim ah, can we talk?”

I snapped out of my thought then quickly responded with a small nod and a thin smile.

“Have some tea dear.” She handed me a small porcelain cup and I thanked her before I took a sip of the warm drink.

“So…” After a while, she broke the silence. “I got a call from the school about what happened today.”

I stared at my fidgeting fingers as I waited for her to continue.

“Eun Byul that girl..” She sighed. “Ever since she was little, never once had she caused any trouble. Her grades are always above average and as her parents, we’re very grateful for that. That’s why the news was a big shock for me and her father. She’s our hope. We want nothing but a bright future for her. Everything we’ve worked so hard for, it’s all for her.”

“I understand ahjumoeni.” I agreed with her.

“Chae Rim ah, I know you and Eun Byul are good friends. And I’ve regarded you as my own daughter. I know Eun Byul will always stand up for you but if it means she’ll keep getting into troubles I don’t think that’s good for her. Don’t you think so Chae Rim ah? Correct me if I’m wrong.”

“You’re right, ahjumoeni.” I sympathised with the elder.

“Then can you promise me to never let Eun Byul do that again for you Chae Rim ah?” She reached out and took my hands in hers, her eyes twinkling in anticipation.

My answer rolled out of my tongue accompanied by a heavy feeling on my chest. “I promise.”

A trail of thoughts clouded my mind as I made my way back to the bus stop. No matter how hard I thought about it, everythin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter