Chapter 10

Blessed Agony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

People always said to fight for justice but try putting yourselves in my shoes and you’d know it’s easier said than done. Albeit finally knowing the real culprit behind Oh Sehun’s allergic reaction, there was nothing I could do really. Today was a new day but rather than making me feel serene for a fresh start, everything seemed to have gotten even worse. Stepping into my classroom, I got pairs of eyes staring at me, stopping their conversation when they realized my presence. Well I might be paranoid but when their stares hadn’t left me even after seconds passed, I was positive they had just talked behind my back. I casted a glance at the empty seat next to mine. Eun Byul was out of town, attending a wedding of a close relative. And with the girl being absent that day, it felt a whole lot more like the terror of Friday the thirteenth awaiting. I caught a glimpse of Oh Sehun when I passed by his class and I wasn’t really sure that he would let me off the hook.

I didn’t even know how on earth I ended up preferring those eating spots outside the building. Probably, I thought, I could have my meal in peace without having to bump into the group of people I least wanted to see. But the other side of me was entirely against this stupid decision. I wasn’t doing anything wrong. Why was there a need to avoid them? I seriously felt like a dumb coward. Still contemplating hard, I had my tray grabbed tightly, avoiding the speedy movements of students passing by. That bunch of immature kids who didn’t even give a damn about others and thought they had the whole canteen as their racing arena.

Glancing at the entrance, my sight caught a familiar face standing out amid the sea of crowd. Conversing with Tao, Kris walked toward where I was standing at. Behind them were the rest of the group including my biggest terror. I took a step back, glancing back and forth to avoid crossing into their paths. I was just about to blend with the crowd by heading toward the opposite direction when I met eyes with Kim Hye Jeon. I clicked my tounge, realizing my escape plan would no longer work.

“Look at who we have here. Hunnie, it’s the one having you poisoned.”

There was still quite a distance between us but the witch’s voice was just loud enough for me to catch what she was saying damn clearly. Me and those other students standing close by.

“Looks can be really deceiving, don’t they?” Kris was the one to stand in front me, his judging stare fixated on me for quite sometime before he walked past me. Great, probably now the entire group was against me.

“Watch your words, man. You don’t want to be the next target, do you?” Tao didn’t even bother to look at me but his loud yell said it all. I had to admit that Kim Hye Jeon did a really good job in brainwashing these guys.

Shaking his head, this time it was Baekhyun’s turn “You’re so unpredictable.”

I could swallow all the hateful words the other spat out but when Oh Sehun stepped forward and closed the distance between us, I thought I’d get a heart attack. I couldn’t define exactly what’s hidden behind his cold eyes but I was so sure it screamed nothing but revenge. I took a step back, striving to maintain my composure. His next action wasn’t something I expected so I stumbled backwards. I squeezed my eyes shut, holding my breath to avoid getting the water he just poured on me into my nose.

“Probably a cup of water could wake your sense up so that you’d think better before you do something next time.”

I was in loss for words. I swallowed down the burning tears of humiliation and was grateful that some drop which had managed to escape was hidden well behind my now wet face. I forced my head up to briefly scan my surroundings. No one bothered to help. None sympathized. They whispered something to each other, watching as if I was an interesting display. The look they shot was hard, as if I deserved what I had just got. My feet were glued to the ground, my mind still working hard to take in everything that was going on. I wanted to retort, so badly but then all the words were clogged up in my throat. I didn’t even know where to start.

Brushing past me, Oh Sehun didn’t even show the slightest regret for his doing. I snapped out from my daze, dragging my feet to anywhere I could be alone. I was exhausted of my day, tired of everything, sick of everyone. I pushed through the crowd, ignoring the wide grin of victory plastered across Kim Hye Jeon’s face. Sometimes I wondered how a person could be that heartless. Knowing this all happened because of her, how could she still have that gut to laugh over innocent one’s suffering?

I charged up the staircase, hurrying into the washroom. Once I was there, I stared at my reflection in the mirror. The person staring back at me was pathetic indeed. Entirely drenched from head to toe, I had no idea how I could clean up the mess within half an hour before the lunch break was over. It was cold and uncomfortable but it wasn’t like I had any other choice than to wait until it dried on its own. I headed to one of the cabins and locked myself. My tears made their own way out without my consent. My brain kept repeating over and over again to be strong and brave but my body system refused to cooperate when I ended up wiping harshly the tears off my cheek endlessly. Why did everyone have to be that cruel? What had I even done to deserve all this?

I noticed barely any difference when the bell rang. I was entirely drenched the moment I entered the washroom and didn’t look any better by the time I left. I should’ve known that by the time I stepped into the classroom, I would become a laughing stock.

“Ms.Yoon, can you explain what’s with your uniform?”

My mouth was itching to spill everything but I had long thought about this during the time I had to myself in the toilet cabinet.

“Did you swim and forget to take off your clothes?” One of the guys in the back row shouted and the whole class burst into laughter. See? What could I do when all the witnesses empathize with Oh Sehun? The whole thing would end up exactly like last time, everything was in Oh Sehun’s favor.

“Quiet!!” Slamming his palm into the board, the teacher turned his full attention back on me. “Ms.Yoon?”

“Someone accidentally spilled water on me.”

It wasn’t entirely a lie because someone did spill water on me but the word ‘accidentally’ shut everything down.

“Well, be careful next time.”

I bowed and proceeded to my seat. I could still hear clearly giggles around me but I was too tired to even care. All I could hope for was that two hours could pass quickly and I could temporarily flee from this hell.

I was the first to get on my feet when the final bell eventually rang. Having packed since five m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter