Dawn

Abducted

After about a week of getting to know Rina and her mother (not too long but long enough to be able to call Rina by her first name), I am starting to get more comfortable. My leg is practically healed and I have finally reached the point where I can start to help around the house a little bit. Everyone is very kind to me, and are all doing their best to help me find my family and remember who I am. It’s not working yet, but I’m not giving up hope!

 

 

                Yamapi has come by every other day to check up on me and say hello to his family. I know he’s busy, but I can’t help feeling anxiety whenever he’s away. He is always so gentle and knows just what I need. I am glad that out of everyone in the world, he is my friend. If he wasn’t there, I would go insane!

 

 

                Today I stare moodily out the window. The sky is grey and threatens rain. I want  the sun to come back! Seriously there’s a reason that suns symbolize happy, smiley faces, and rain symbolizes tears and eternal doom. My day is officially ruined.

 

 

                Wait! Yamapi’s car is pulling up the driveway! I take it back! My day is not officially ruined. Thank you Rain Spirits! You brought him home! You know, it’s obvious that rain represents renewal and purity! Who needs sun? The sun is the image of bareness and heat and death. Yamapi is here!

 

 

                I hurry as quickly as I can on my leg to greet him at the door; my eyes shining.

 

 

                “Hey!” he smiles at me. My heart skips a beat and my grin speaks for itself: I am more than happy to see him. Rina comes bounding up behind me.

 

 

                “Onii-chan! You’re back! Normally you’re gone for weeks at a time! But now, you come all the time! It’s all thanks to her,” she nods happily at me. My cheeks are going to split apart from grinning so much.

 

 

                “Where’s okaa-san (mom)?” Yamapi asks his sister.

 

 

                “She’s gone shopping today. She won’t be back for a while.”

 

 

                “She won’t mind if I take you out for lunch today, will she?” Yamapi has turned his gaze onto me. His eyes sparkle; laughing silently.

 

 

                “Of course she won’t mind!” I say quickly.

 

 

                “What, you’re not gonna invite your baby sis?” Rina pouts. Yamapi ruffles her hair affectionately, “I’ll take you next time,”

 

 

                “Promise?” Rina wheedles.

 

 

                “Promise,” Yamapi affirms.

 

 

We get into his car and he carefully pulls away from the house.

 

 

“So,” he says casually.

 

 

“So…what?” I ask.

 

 

“So have you thought about a name yet?” he asks. About four days ago, Yamaa-san (i.e. I refer to Yamapi’s mom as Yamaa-san and Yamapi as Yamapi and Rina as Rina. Just to clear stuff up.) got pretty tired of everyone referring to me as ‘you, her, she, our guest’ etc. she was determined that I have a name. Yamapi agreed whole-heartedly and Rina and I had thrown a few names around, but nothing seemed to fit.

 

 

“I don’t know.”

 

 

“Oh,” we continue our drive in silence.

 

 

I’m thinking hard. I really want a name. I want a name that is just mine. When I finally do decide on a name, I want to hear Yamapi call it. I call his name, and his family’s but now I want a chance to be called by something other than ‘the guest’ I want someone to call my name. But what should it be? Nothing too common like Yuki, Kazuko, or Etsu. Definitley not Sakura. That name is used too often in mangas. What would represent me? Suddenly, I sit forward.

 

 

“I’ve got it!” I cry. Yamapi jumps beside me and narrowly avoids swerving the car into the other lane at my unexpected outburst.

 

 

“What? What have you got? The measles?” he asks sarcastically. I grin. That’s the first time he’s been sarcastic with me! It’s nice! It means he was worried about me.

 

 

“Nope, guess again,” I giggle.

 

 

He just stares at me and I glance quickly out the window before saying more quietly, “I’ve got a name…”

 

 

“Hontoni (Really)?” he asks dropping the sarcasm, “What is it?”

 

 

“Dawn.” Dawn. The perfect name. Dawn is renewal, a new start, a new day. That fits me pretty well. Doesn’t it?

 

 

“Dawn,” Yamapi repeats slowly; trying it on for size, “I like it. It’s perfect!”

 

 

“You think so?” I ask eagerly.

 

 

“Of course.” He pulls in front of a small confection shop.

 

 

“Why don’t we celebrate your new name, Dawn?” he asks, “My treat.”

 

 

Nodding quickly, I shoot through the door and into the shop before he can hear my stomach growling.