He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

Abducted

Yamapi jerked out of the way as the girl-Dawn he corrected himself- practically bulldozed past him into the small shop. He smiles to himself before following her inside. He watches as she waits in line glancing at the counters full of gleaming pastries, cakes, and pies. She turns back to see if he’s coming and he walks toward her.

 

 

When it’s their turn to order, he turns to her, “What would you like?”

 

 

“The lemon cheesecake!” she said without hesitating.

 

 

“You like cheesecake?”

 

 

“Of course I do! It’s my favorite!” a frown creased her forehead, “Or at least it is now…I can’t remember if I liked it before-”

 

 

Yamapi nodded seeing that she was starting to get upset, he turned to the girl behind the counter.

 

 

“A lemon cheesecake, and a glass of milk for Dawn, and a water for me,” he flashed a smile. The girl blushed and started scurrying around getting the order ready. She handed him a quaintly decorated tray which Yamapi grabbed in a flourish and proceeded to take to a small corner booth of the room. Dawn trailed him.

 

 

He laughed as she tucked into her cake. It was a really odd sight to see a girl attacking a cake like that. Most girls ate one or two bites before saying they were full, or they didn’t like sweets. He was surprisingly happy watching her enjoy herself. He sipped his water silently.

 

 

A car door slammed making her jump; the bite of cheesecake on her fork dropping onto the table splattering his arm.

 

 

“I’m so sorry!” she cried, her cheeks flushing. She yanked a napkin from the dispenser and tried to wipe it off his arm. He laughes and helpes her. Their fingers met. They just brushed each other’s. He stared at the small, delicate hand next to his, his eyes widening. Slowly, he looked up at her to see her startled expression. She glanced up at him before seeming to come back to reality; yanking her hand away, blushing furiously.

 

 

He too withdraws his hand clasping it in his lap, his fingers tingling where she had touched them.

 

 

What is this? What is wrong with me? I’m getting so worked up over something so small! I’ve hugged girls before, even kissed them! Maybe I’m sick? Are these feelings symptoms? I have just been working hard at Johnny’s as well as making sure Dawn is okay. I only feel this way because I am her friend and protector. That’s all. Wait…protector?Where did that come from? Now look at me rambling on to myself! I need to get out of here!

 

 

He stood abruptly. She glanced up at him.

 

 

“Let’s go,” he said not meeting her eyes, “I just remembered I have an interview with Kei-chan for a magazine. I need to be there really soon.”

 

 

“Oh.” she scrambled out of the booth and hurriedly followed him out the door. The moment they were in the car, a light drizzle started coming down. He cranked up the heater so they wouldn’t freeze and drove back towards his house. In the driveway, she turned to him.

 

 

“Yamapi, thanks so much for the cheesecake. Well, not so much the cheesecake as thank you for being so kind. Even if I regain my memories, I just know that I won’t have had a friend like you ever in my life! You’re the best!” she turned and started to open the door but his hand on her arm stopped her. She turned inquiringly to face him only to jerk her head back when she realized his face was only a few inches away from hers.

 

 

“Yamapi?” her voice faltered.

 

 

Yamapi’s gaze sharpened and he quickly pulled back like he’d been stung. His beautiful hair fell into his eyes and his perfectly tanned skin seemed to shiver slightly.

 

 

“It’s nothing, go in,” he said brusquely.  

 

 

“Oh…well then…I guess I’ll see you later,” he nodded not meeting her eyes. As soon as she was out the door, he skidded the car towards Kei-chan’s.