A Fatal Encounter

Abducted

The whole rest of the day, I can’t even tell you what happened. I feel like I am walking on air. Yamapi had almost kissed me! ME! The only thing I can remember is I need to act normally because I don’t want Rina to know what…almost happened. It would be too embarrassing! I am just too happy!

 

 

The next day, the doorbell rings. My leg has felt a little achey today, so I let Yamaa-san answer it. I am propped up on the couch next to Rina. We are looking at scrapbooks of their family. I had no idea Yamapi was so cute when he was little. Rina had such gorgeous hair when she was a kid, she could’ve been a model! Everyone in the pictures was smiling or laughing and playing. A real family. Something that I want.

 

 

Yamaa-san enters leading in a young man. His face looks familiar, but I can’t quite place where I have seen it before.

 

 

“Dawn, this is Kamenashi-san. He has come to say hello, and offer his sympathy for all you have gone through,” Yamaa-san informs me before throwing a meaningful glance at Rina.

 

 

“Oh! I just remembered I need to organize the books and papers downstairs,” Rina says lamely as an excuse and gets up and leaves with her mother. I am left alone with this stranger. I glance at him uncertainly.

 

 

“Hello…Dawn.” His smile is warm and pleasant, but something feels weird.

 

 

He draws up a chair across from me and sits down. His eyes stare at me like he’s hungry and I am somehow filling him up.

 

 

“Hello,” I say not sure what he wants.

 

 

“I know this is strange. You don’t know who I am, but I’m sure you have been told of how you were found…in a dressing room at Johnny’s.”

 

 

Wow. Quick and direct.

 

 

“Y-yes,” I confirm. How does he know about it though?

 

 

“Well you were found in my dressing room. I never got a chance to apologize for such a horrendous act being done to you in my dressing room. I went to the hospital as soon as I found out, but you already had a guest: Yamaa-san.”

 

 

Suddenly, it all made sense.

 

 

“You’re the man I saw through the hospital window!” I exclaim in wonder, “Were you also the man that did the interview with Yamapi that same day?”

 

 

“Yes,” he smiles, “That was me. I was going to introduce myself to you after the interview, but you left before I could get to you.”

 

 

“That’s probably a good thing,” I say thoughtfully. I see him stiffen.

 

 

“I mean I was really scared and on edge that day,” I put in quickly, “If anyone else had come and talked to me, I would probably have freaked out. I’m glad I can meet you today, and not feel so overwhelmed.”

 

 

“Ah, I see,” Kamenashi-san’s gentle smile was back.

 

 

“I’m sorry I caused you so much trouble,” I say sincerely, “And thank you for coming all the way here to tell me this.”

 

 

“It’s no problem,” He hesitates before he continues, “Would you mind…if I took you to dinner tomorrow? It’ll be my way to compensate.”

 

 

“There’s nothing to compensate,” I laugh lightly.

 

 

“But still, it would make me feel better,” he insists.

 

 

I think for a minute. He’s just being kind. That’s all. He’s a nice person, why not?

 

 

“Alright then…I suppose it would be fine.”

 

 

His face lights up. “I will see you tomorrow then. I should probably let you rest now,” he stands abruptly.

 

 

“Thank you for having me,” he bows.

 

 

“Thank you for visiting,”

 

 

He leaves. I watch him leave from the window. As soon as his car is gone, Rina sneaks back in. She settles down into the available space next to me and eyes me.

 

 

“So? What was that about?” she asks expectantly.

 

 

“He’s taking me to dinner tomorrow,” I answer.

 

 

Her eyes grow big, “Like a date?

 

 

“Iie (No)!” I cry, “Not a date! Just…as friends.”