A Talk With A Friend Always Helps

Abducted

The theatre was overcrowded that night. Kame cursed silently to himself as he pulled through the jammed parking lot looking for some place to park. He finally spotted a space but realized that another car had seen it too. Quickly, he cut off the old, rusty, blue car and let his sleek, black, sports car slide smoothly in its place. He heard the person in the other car honk angrily at him and smirked.

 

 

Hmph. If you only knew who I was, you wouldn’t be honking.

 

 

He slid gracefully from the seat, shades covering his irritated brown eyes. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and sauntered up to the lady at the window. She was fairly pretty, with long, raven-black hair that trailed to her waist. Her almond shaped eyes were smoky-black. It was obvious she had applied copious amounts of mascara before coming. Her lips were a little too full, and it gave her an adorable pout. Kame surveyed her uninterestedly. He wondered why she would even dress up if all she would be doing was selling tickets.

 

 

Maybe it’s in case someone interesting shows up. Girls always want to look their best. But Jessica doesn’t even need to try. Even without makeup she surpasses this dull and boring girl. But then, you never know who you’ll meet at a theatre. Maybe by the end of the night, she’ll find some er to exchange numbers with.

 

 

Finally it was the man in front of him left with his date. Kame strode to the window and placed a $50 bill on the counter. The girl got him his ticket. When she turned to give it to him, she gave a start.

 

 

Oh great. Did she recognize me? She didn’t...did she? Aw crap! I knew I shouldn’t have come tonight! She’s going to make a big deal out of everything; screaming and asking for an autograph. My night will be completely ruined! I-

 

 

“Here is your change, sir,” the girl said. Kame glanced at her again. So she hadn’t recognized him after all. She had simply seen that he was going to a movie alone, and she had thought he was cute and wanted to flirt. He could tell she still wanted to, but there was a line, and he really had no interest in her. Scooping up the change and stuffing it into his pocket, he hurried through the double doors.

 

 

The scent of popcorn filled his senses as he entered the room. He glanced at his watch. There were a few minutes before the movie started. He bought a water bottle and went into the darkened theatre. Quickly, he surveyed the people in the cushioned seats. He didn’t recognize anyone behind him. So he went down the rows until he got to the front row.

 

 

“HEEY! Kame! You made it!” Kame jumped and rushed at the man who had spoken. Slapping his hand over a befuddled Koki’s mouth, he hissed, “Don’t shout my name out like that! We’re out in public without security! If we’re found out, we’re all dead!”

 

 

“Oh…” Koki nodded looking abashed.

 

 

“Yo Kame! We saved you a seat!” Jin grinned at him. Jin waved him over to the seat next to him. Kame slumped down next to him and twisted the cap off his water bottle. The popcorn was passed around and Kame realized he hadn’t had anything to eat. He hadn’t eaten the ramen at all. Once Yamapi had come in and interrupted his date, he had sat there for a moment, then angrily got up and left. So he grabbed a handful and started chewing it furiously. Butter dribbled down his chin.

 

 

“Hungry?” Jin asked smiling in spite of himself.

 

 

“Yeah,” Kame muttered. He could tell that Jin wanted to ask him how his ‘date’ had gone, but the fates were once again working in Kame’s favor and the movie started before Jin could ask. All the chattering died down and the movie began. Kame didn’t pay much attention to the movie. Ueda was the most enraptured. He started crying almost instantly with the little boy on the screen when the boy’s puppy died. Kame made use of Ueda’s sudden loss of appetite and queasy stomach by taking his popcorn. Once the popcorn was depleted, he wandered off into his own thoughts. He had an amazing idea.

 

 

What if on his next date with Jessica, he took her to the movies? It would be just the two of them in a dark, room watching some romantic film. Maybe he’d get to hold her hand and if he was very, very, very lucky, he might be able to kiss her! His mind went down fantasy lane and he didn’t even notice when the lights began coming back on.

 

 

“Kame? Kaaaaaaaaaame? Are you there? Mooooossshi-moooooosssshhi (Helllllllooooooo)!” Nakamaru snapped his fingers in front of Kame’s eyes. Kame blinked coming back to reality.

 

 

“What’s the matter?” he noticed the lights on and his friends looking at him strangely, “Oh. Is the movie over?”

 

 

“Yeah, were you even paying attention?” Jin marveled at how his friend could skip out on an amazing action movie with crazy car chase scenes, buildings exploding, and the irresistible puppy dogs! Kame was as always a mystery to him.

 

 

“Gomen (Sorry). I’ve been distracted lately,” Kame mumbled, “We should go before somebody recognizes us.” With those words, the guys stood up quickly and headed to the exit. As they were heading out into the beautiful night full of glittering stars, they said their goodbyes and headed their separate ways. Only Jin remained behind.

 

 

“So Kame,” his breath showed on the chilliness of the air, “How did your date go?”

 

 

Kame glowered at Jin but Jin just smiled good-naturedly and waited for him to say something.

 

 

“In the end, the date didn’t happen,”

 

 

Jin’s smile slid from his face, “You didn’t go out with her?” he looked confused.

 

 

“We did, but she got a bad headache and had to go home. Yamapi came and took her back.”

 

 

“Wow,” Jin whistled sympathetically, “That .”

 

 

“Yeah, it does,” Kame agreed running a hand through his tousled hair. Talking to Jin was making him feel slightly better. It helped him remember that this wasn’t the only date he’d have with Jessica. There’d be plenty more. Besides, she had been so close to remembering. If only Yamapi hadn’t gotten in the way. It would have only been a few more short minutes of pain and then when she looked at him again her eyes would have recognized him. He ground his teeth silently in frustration.

 

 

“Oh, I almost forgot. Taguchi gave me a ride here tonight and he just texted me saying he’s already left. Mind if I hitch a ride with you?” Jin asked nonchalantly. Even though he acted like he didn’t care, Kame knew-as every celebrity did-how dangerous it was for a celebrity to be walking the streets at night by himself in a public area where he might be recognized. He shuddered at the horrible picture and said, “Come on, I might be able to find some space for you in the trunk.”

 

 

“The trunk?” Jin asked anxiously, “You’re not serious….are you? You wouldn’t put me in the trunk…would you?”

 

 

Kame just smiled and headed off to his car with a suddenly very nervous Jin trailing behind him.