023

Thoughtless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kwon Jiyong, the heir of the Kwon Enterprises and the only son of the most powerful Kwon was just nine years old when his parents introduced him to his cousin, Woo Jiho.

 

 

“Hi, my name is Kwon Jiyong.” He smiled timidly at the boy in-front of him as he reached his hands towards him.

 

 

He waited for the boy to shake his hand, or at least return the courtesy but he just smirked at him. Not a single response was made. Jiyong, disappointed, put his hand down.

 

 

Jiyong was twelve when Jiho entered the same school he’s going. He can still remember how pale his face became when he first entered the room, with his same smirk when he first saw him.

 

 

“Okay, class, from now on you’ll have another classmate.” Those were the exact first statement his teacher said as she smiled softly. “Behave now, here he comes.” She called the ‘new’ student outside and there he saw, standing proudly, with that smirk again.

 

 

“Oh, I know you…” Jiho said instead of introducing his name. “My cousin, Kwon.” He looked at Jiyong who just stared back at him.

 

 

And just like the first time, he did not introduce himself.

 

 

“Where would you like to sit?” Their teacher asked.

 

 

But Jiho just shrugged, and sit wherever he wanted to.

 

 

Beside his cousin, Kwon Jiyong.

 

 

Maybe it’s just a phase wherein a child becomes spoiled and does everything to have what he wants.

 

 

But not Jiho.

 

 

He’ll seize every opportunity he can get to get whatever his cousin pleases or achieves. But the other way around.

 

 

In seventh grade, Jiyong was picked as the ‘Most Liked Freshmen’ and Jiho was elected as the ‘Most Unliked One’.

 

 

Jiyong achieved gold medals in both Math and Science Quiz Bee while Jiho achieved a membership in a night club at his very young age. They were both in eighth grade.

 

 

Ninth grade was when Jiyong topped the whole class by having a perfect score in all their exam and Jiho topped the bottom list, of the whole school.

 

 

And it was in tenth grade when Jiyong won a National Competition and Jiho’s parents won the custody of their son against the police. He was caught using meths, methamphetamine to be exact.

 

 

Senior year.

 

 

Jiyong was sitting in the library alone when someone suddenly tapped his shoulder. Pulling his gaze away from Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables, he looked at the person who disturbed him.

 

 

“Love has no middle term; either it destroys, or it saves. All human destiny is this dilemma. This dilemma, destruction or salvation, no fate proposes more inexorably than love. Love is life, if it is not death. Cradle; coffin, too. The same sentiment says yes and no in the human heart. Of all the things God has made, the human heart is the one that sheds most light, and alas! most night.” The girl with chubby cheeks and enchanting eyes suddenly recited.

 

 

“Uhm… Excuse me?” Jiyong answered in shock.

 

 

“A classic. I was just surprised that a boy was reading a treasure like that.” She smiled softly at him.

 

 

“Well, literature is treasure.” He smiled.

 

“Couldn’t agree more enough.” The girl responded. “My name is Sohee.”

 

 

“Jiyong, Kwon Jiyong.” He responded and for the first time, he realized that she’s the first one to ever approach him properly.

 

 

Every day, Jiyong would read and Sohee would always tap his shoulder and they will talk about the book he is reading. Every night, he’ll think of how smart a girl can be. And every morning, he’ll hope that she will tap his shoulder whenever he reads.

 

 

Until this one day.

 

 

Jiyong was alone in a coffee shop when he saw Sohee looking like she’s been waiting for someone. He observed her for minutes until he had the courage to went outside and ask her.

 

 

“Hey, are you waiting for someone?”

 

 

“Oh Jiyong-ssi, I think he won’t arrive sooner or later.” She answered him.

 

 

“W—would you l…like to have a drink inside?” He stammered as he pointed at the coffee shop. “It’s my treat.” He continued.

 

 

Sohee laughed at his cleverness.

 

 

“Fine, it’s your treat.” She nodded her head at him and they both went inside.

 

 

The meetings happened more frequent and Jiyong would always buy Sohee her Caramel Macchiato and her favorite Black Forest. And the conversation about books were long forgotten and were replaced by anything.

 

 

“Man up.” He said to himself as he holds a bouquet of roses for Sohee. His Sohee. He walked towards her who is sitting on their spot at the coffee shop waiting for him.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter