Eight

Cousins

Yugyeom’s  POV

I must have lost my mind. Why am I going to this event? A good friend and a good cousin would have made Henry go in my place. Am I really that selfish of a person? Every time I think back to the look on Henry’s face when I told him where I am going tonight, I feel like a horrible person. I told him that it could only be me because it is my name on the guest list, but that it not true. I lied; that list can easily be fixed. Henry could have easily been the man to Jennie to this event. But why did I not tell him? Why did I lie? That is my own secret. I sneak out of my house quietly, not wanting to run into Henry or any of his friends. I feel guilty enough as it is, if I see them it will make it so much worse. I very carefully climb out of my window, trying not to ruin my suit, and onto the front lawn.

“What are you doing?” I hear Kyuhyun’s voice. I stand up and turn around, now outside, to see Kyuhyun walking back to the house with Sophie.

“Oh, you walked Sophie? Thanks.”

“Uh, yeah. I needed to get away from Heechul before I hurt him. Why are you climbing out of your window?”

“I didn’t want to see Henry.” I say looking down at my feet.

“Why? He already knows where you are going.”

“But he doesn’t need to see me leave.”

“uh-huh.” He says judgingly and walks into the house with Sophie. I don’t like that guy, it is as if he sees right through me and judges every little thing. He scares me. I walk to Jennie’s house and knock on the door; the limo is already waiting in front of her house.

“Come in!” she yells from inside. I smile. I am not the only one who does that. Maybe it was her that I picked up that from habit from. I turn the knob and walk inside as if it were my home.

“Omo! Yugyeomie! You look so handsome! And I would like to personally thank you for escorting my daughter tonight. There is not a man on earth I would rather have with us tonight!” she says to me with a smile that makes me uncomfortable.

“Thank you Mrs. Cho! You look extra beautiful tonight.” I say bowing.

“Psh, you always bow to my mother but I always hug yours. Why are you so boring?” Jennie says walking into the room. I turn towards her voice to make my comeback but freeze without a word leaving my mouth open. She looks absolutely stunning. All of the guilt I felt toward Henry immediately melted away because there is no way I regret being with her tonight.

“AH YUGYEOM! I know I look like a human for once but you don’t have to be so overdramatic about it! A snide comeback would have been so much nicer!”

“Since when am I nice to you?” I quickly say. Even when I stare at her in awe, she thinks I am making fun of her. But as her best friend, I have to play along. I have to continue to be her best friend because I know that is what she wants. She rolls her eyes at me and marches towards the door.

“Let’s go ‘Prince Charming,’ the carriage awaits.” She says sarcastically. Maybe if I had met her after I turned 18, she would think of me as a man. Maybe she would really think of me as prince charming and not as a little kid who she hangs out with.

---

The limo pulls up to the red carpet. Yes, I said red carpet. A lot of very important people go to these events and there are even paparazzi waiting. We exit the limo and cameras go off immediately.

“Jennie! Look over here!”

“Julie Cho! How do you stay so young?”

“Yugyeom! When is your wedding with Jennie?”

The reporters continue to shout their questions at us but we ignore them and walk the carpet with elegance as if we really were celebrities. We are very well known in the business world; Mrs Cho often frequents business magazines and is a huge role model for a lot of women. Jennie and I are actually known as a power couple. Even though we are not really dating, everyone thinks that if we marry we could help Mrs. Cho grow her company into one of the top companies in the nation. But, Mrs. Cho is not greedy enough to want to be at the top and Jennie would never marry me. Once inside, Jennie excuses herself as she runs to greet a few of her friends. I am always here too but these friends always ignore my existence and shower her with attention. It gets under my skin every time.

“Jaebum! Jinyoung!” she says running to hug them. Erg, even their names are stupid. They should really give themselves nicknames or something. It is guys like them that make me glad I don’t have any brothers. I mean, what if I had one of them as my brothers? I shudder at the thought.

“Are you going to stare after her in jealousy all night, or are you going to claim her as your date?” I hear Mrs. Cho whisper in my ear. I bow to her and make my way towards Jennie and those rotten punks.

“Hello, I came to remind you that this is my date.” I say glaring at the brothers. The smiles fade from their faces as they glare at me.

“Stop the act, we know you guys aren’t real.” Jaebum says through clenched teeth. Ugh, his name reminds me of a . I guess it is fitting though…

“Who says we aren’t real?” I grab Jennie by the waist and pull her to my side.

“Yah” she whispers towards me.

“Psh, can you even aegyo?” Jinyoung rolls his eyes at me. “You are not cute enough to aegyo so Jennie should be my date.  Jennie, I will be your for your next event.” He turns and smiles at her.

“No, you will not. Let’s go Jennie.” I pull her away from them and onto the dance floor.

“Why are you always so mean to them?” she giggles.

“Because they are pigs with stupid names.”

“That is not a good enough reason. What kind of name is Yugyeom?” she asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

“A y and extremely manly one!”

“Ha! In your dreams!” I pull her into my chest before she could insult me anymore. She responds by holding me tighter and resting her head on my shoulder as we dance. I hear a few cameras go off but I ignore them; nothing could ruin this moment for me.

“Was I too harsh with Henry?” Okay, almost nothing.

“No, he deserved to be yelled at. What you did was so much better though.”

“I didn’t even let him explain. How is that better?”

“What is there to explain? He didn’t want you to think of him as a celebrity so he lied. End of story.”

“But is it so wrong to not want to be thought of as a celebrity? I mean, look at Jongin and Kyungsoo.” She lifts her head off of my shoulder as we both look in the direction of the boys. They are standing in a corner, surrounded by rich, obnoxious girls and looking miserable. “Kai can’t go out in public without being ually harassed and I heard a girl broke into Kyungsoo’s room last week and stole his underwear. If I was as famous as they are, I would lie too.”

“I see what you mean. But Henry is not that popular. He was actually hated by Super Junior fans for a long time, and he still gets protests about him being in the band from time to time.”

“Why?! That is horrible! Why would fans reject someone so talented?”

“Because he is younger than Kyuhyun and that would make him the new Maknae.”

“Kyuhyun, I don’t like him.”

“I don’t either! Should we start a club?” she giggles at my comment.

“Do you think we should try talking to Jongin and Kyungsoo or would they think we are like everyone else?” I glance over at the two boys and catch Jongin staring at Jennie but quickly look away. Why is she so beautiful? I wish she was ugly so that only I would love her.

“No, we shouldn’t talk to them.” I say flatly. No way is that Jongin guy getting anywhere near my Jennie.  The song ends and she pulls away from me.

“Would you mind getting me some punch?” she asks cutely.

“No problem, babe.” She grimaces at the last word. I walk over to the punch bowl and find those obnoxious brothers again.

“Date got tired of you already?” Jaebutt smirks.

“No, you wouldn’t understand this but humans get thirsty sometimes.”

“Ooooh, is that why she is dancing with Kai?” Jinyoung says stupidly. Quickly, I turn around to see that my date was indeed dancing with Kai.

“It’s about time we have a worthy opponent.” Jaebum say smugly. Wow, could this guy get any more annoying. After deciding that punching him in the face and/or throwing punch on him wouldn’t help anything, I return to the dance floor.

“Excuse me, but I believe you have stolen my date.” I say as politely as possible.

“Ah, yes. I hope to do so more in the future.” He says before winking at Jennie and walking away.

“May I have this dance?” I ask as princely as possible.

“You may!” She takes my hand and we effortlessly dance across the floor. We have gone to so many of these together, that our bodies move together out of habit without any awkwardness.  “So, what happened to getting me punch?”

“Jaebum and his boyfriend drank it all.” I lied.

“You know they are brothers right?”

“Nope. I think they are just as fake as we are.” She laughs at my comment. Of course I know they are brothers, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be mean to them.

 

Mrs Cho’s POV
 

I watch with a smile on my face as Yugyeom and Jennie dance together. The smiles never leave their faces and the way he keeps her laughing is so cute! How does Jennie not see it? He gets jealous every time another guy comes near her; he even came to her rescue when Kai stole a dance from her. Kai is definitely someone whose bad side you do not want to be on, I commend Yugyeom’s bravery.

“When will they finally get married?” Mrs. Kim asked from my side.

“I don’t know. Jennie is stubborn and Yugyeom has yet to confess to her. But it will happen.” I answer confidently.

“My Kai will definitely be disappointed when that day comes. He has had his eye on your daughter for quite some time now!”

“Ah, that is such an honor! If by some ill fate Yugyeom and Jennie don’t work out, your son is definitely my next choice!”

“Oh good! My son can put up a pretty good fight so Yugyeom has his work cut out for him!” I laugh at her statement. It is definitely true; Kai is pretty close to flawless and can put up a very good fight. However, Jennie is not fazed by wealth and status so he won’t be able to use those advantages on her. We will see how this plays out. Is it wrong for me to like seeing multiple amazing suitors attempt to court my daughter? Any one of them is worthy of her heart, so whoever she chooses is fine by me. But, Yugyeom is still my favorite.