Seven

Cousins

Jennie’s POV

I wake up to my mom’s sweet and gentle voice.

“Jennie, I hope you didn’t forget about our plans today.”

“Plans?”

“We are going dress shopping for tomorrow! Let’s go sleepy head!”

“Oh!” my eyes flutter open, “I will be ready soon!” I jump out of bed and quickly clean myself up for my shopping day. With all of the time that I have been spending at the Lau’s, I completely forgot about the event I am attending with my mother tomorrow. Unlike most business kids, I enjoy dressing up and going to formal events! Maybe it’s because I don’t have to go to as many as some of the really wealthy families, but it is nice to look pretty and act fancy every once in a while! After showering and applying some light make up, I meet my mother in the living room and we quickly, and excitedly, head out.

---

“Is Yugyeom still going to attend as your date?” my mother asks as we look at a few dress options.

“I think so; I haven’t reminded him at all so I should check.” I take out my phone and send him a quick reminder.

“You know, I haven’t said anything because he was underage, but now he is 18. You and Yugyeom would make an amazing couple.” My mom says way too seriously. My eyes pop open and I stare at her in shock.

“Are you crazy?!”

“Yah! Don’t talk to your mother like that!”

“Mianhae. But seriously, mom! Yugyeom is still just a kid! And he is four years younger than I am!”

“And? Your has never bothered either of you; you treat and respect each other as equals. That is exactly the type of relationship I want for you. You should really think about it, Jennie.” I stare at her in disbelief as she looks through a few more dresses. I cannot believe what she is suggesting right now. Sure, Yugyeom is all grown up and looking like a man now, but he is still Yugyeom!

“How about this one?” my mom asks, holding up the most perfect dress! I gasp.

“That is perfect!”

She chuckles, “I knew you would like it! Go and try it on!” I grab the dress from her and try not to run to the dressing rooms. I cannot wait to put this dress on! After entering the dressing room, I carefully put on the most perfect dress that needs to be mine, only to fall even more in love with it after I see myself in it!

“Mom! I need this!” I twirl out of the dressing room in a very over dramatic way to show her how I look in the dress.

“She giggles at my silliness, “Yes, you do need that! You look absolutely stunning!” I blush at her kind words and thank her. After changing back into my normal clothes, I help my mom find a stunning black dress to show off her body in a way to prove that I have the most stunning mother ever!

As we are leaving the shop, I get a text from Yugyeom.

I completely forgot about that! What color are you wearing? I will try to match.

“Oh, how sweet! Not even a real date and yet he is considerate enough to act like one.” I mom says with a smirk. I shoot her an annoyed look and text him back.

My dress is white. What you wore last year to the art gala should be fine.

My mom pulls me into a cute little café after I had sent my text.

“Let’s eat and get some coffee! Since I haven’t seen you much these past weeks, you can fill me in on what you have been up to!”

“Okay!” I say trying to sound enthusiastic as the events of yesterday make their way back into my mind. My phone buzzes again. Does he really need any more than what I gave him?

No way. I need a new suit that is in season. You may not understand, but guys have a style too. Suits are not all the same.

I roll my eyes and put my phone aside.

“So, tell me all about your life!” my mom says sitting across from me. She had ordered our coffee and pastries while I was reading my text.

“Well, The Lau’s brought their nephew back with them from Korea for the summer.” I start.

“Oh, how old is he?”

“24.”

“Ooooooh…”

“Yeah, and he is really cute. I have been over there a lot because of him. But I stayed in my room for three days because I thought he was gay for a little bit-“

“You what?!” she says trying not to laugh.

“As I was about to put my number into his phone he got a flirty text from a ‘Heechul’ but he ended up just being a friend messing with him. But…well, after that I had googled the name Heechul and all of the results were for this guy in a kpop band.”

“And?”

“He showed up at the Lau’s house yesterday and Henry and his other friends that came a few days ago are all in the band with him.”

“Woah.”

“Yeah, and he never told me. He lied saying that he owned a famous Ramyun shop in Korea. But he does so much! He sings, dances both hip hop and ballet, writes and composes music, speaks seven languages, and plays violin and piano on an expert level. Is it wrong of me to be upset that he didn’t tell me? He does so much, enough to fill all of his free time in his everyday life, and I didn’t know a single thing.”

“It is not wrong of you to be upset. But have you thought of it from his point of view?”

“Kind of. All I can think of is that he didn’t care enough about me to tell me those things. And then I just feel dumb for thinking we had something. I didn’t even really know him, and yet I thought I did. I feel really dumb.”

“No, that is not how you should be thinking at all. Have you considered that maybe he didn’t want you to think of him as a celebrity? Sometimes celebrities just want to live like normal people. Maybe he wanted you to like him for him, and not for all of the stuff he can do or the money he has.”

“But I am not the type to care about what he does for a living or how much money he has.”

“Does he know that?” she says raising an eyebrow at me. Wow, my mom is pretty smart. This is why I tell her things.

“No, I will talk to him after the Save the Orphans event tomorrow.”

“Okay.” She says smiling at me. Secretly she is happy that I am still taking Yugyeom. She is definitely crazy.