Five

Cousins

Jennie’s POV

I check the mirror one last time before I leave to Henry’s. Or the Lau’s…it’s the same place so it’s okay to say that right? Henry called not too long ago and invited me over to watch a movie with him and his friends. I am usually nervous when I go to see Henry, but now that I have to impress four of his friends; I feel like my stomach will never unknot.

“I want to come too!” Stacy says raising her hand excitedly like a kindergartener on her first day of school.

“What? Why?”

“Because it is not fair that his friends will be there and not me! I really want to goooooo” she says pouting and grabbing onto my arm.

“Ugh, fine but don’t embarrass me.”

“Yay! Let’s go!”

We walk the short distance to the Lau’s house as she is giving me obnoxious advice.

“Oh, and don’t touch Henry too much in front of his friends”

“Touch…really?”

“Don’t apologize for yelling at them earlier. Be strong.” She says doing the fighting pose.

“Okay…”

“Oh and sit by Henry and hold his hand in the popcorn because that is cute!”

“And if I want popcorn?”

“…wow. I am giving you gold here and you are worried about popcorn? You can’t have a lot of popcorn because you will need your mouth as clean as possible to kiss him later tonight.”

“WAIT WHAT? Are you crazy?”

“Ugh, don’t act like you don’t want to.”  She says rolling her eyes at me.

“This is not the right night for that kind of stuff. Now, we are here. Please, try to behave?” I shake my head at her and knock on the door.

“I think she is here!” I hear what might be Donghae’s voice from somewhere inside.

“Then open the door pabo!” I think Kyuhyun says. The door is then opened by Donghae with a big smile on his face!

“Oh, who are you?!” He asks looking at Stacy. Stacy just stares at him without words.

“This is Stacy,” I introduce, “she wants to watch the movie with us.” I nudge her and she snaps out of her trance.

“O-oh, yes. Hello.” She stammers and I raise an eyebrow at her.

“Hello Stacy! I am Donghae! You are very pretty, please come inside!” he says stepping aside, allowing us to enter.

“Donghae, you flirt! Don’t tell random people they are pretty!” Eunhyuk then looks at Stacy and points, “he is mine, got it?”

“And if I had another pretty friend?” I inquire.

“Still mine. I don’t share.”

“Don’t worry, Eunhae is only real when he is in the room.” Donghae whispers, winking at us.

“Guys, this is how the gay mistake started in the first place.” Kyuhyun walks in hitting Eunhyuk in the back of the head.

“Yah!” Eunhyuk shouts.

“If you guys are done arguing, the movie is set up and Sungmin just finished making the popcorn. Oh, hello!” Henry says smiling at us. “Stacy, right?”

“Yes! Nice to see you again!” she says and shakes his hand.

“Jennie, you look really nice.” He says turning a light shade of pink. “Shall we?” he asks and we follow him into the basement that had been set up into a theatre room. Once down there, Donghae sat down on the love seat, grabbed Stacy’s hand, and pulled her down to the seat next to him.

“Is this seat okay?” he asked rather close to her.

“Y-yes.” She answers. 

Henry grabbed my hand and led me to sit in-between him and Kyuhyun on the three person couch, while Sungmin and Eunhyuk sat in the giant bean bag chairs. Sungmin grabbed the remote and pressed play for The Phantom of the Opera.

“I love this movie!” I exclaim!

“Good, so does Henry. He likes the violin.” Eunhyuk says nonchalantly.

“Violin?”

Kyuhyun put and hand to his chest and turned to me with a shocked expression. “Henry didn’t tell you that he plays violin on an expert level?”

I turn to Henry just before he hid his glare from me. Am I not allowed to know that he plays violin? Or does he not actually play?

“You play violin?” I ask.

“A little.” He says before turning to the movie and shoving a handful of popcorn into his mouth.

“He is also a piano genius that speaks seven different languages fluently.” Kyuhyun whispers in my ear and my whole body tenses up.  Do I really not know Henry at all? What else has he not told me about him? Who is this man next to me and why do I suddenly feel like I am lacking? Just with those last few sentences from Kyuhyun, I am definitely lacking in comparison to Henry.  Henry turns towards me and notices my tenseness.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I answer and he holds his hand in mine and continues to watch the movie. I however, couldn’t focus on the movie. I suddenly wanted to know everything about the man sitting next to me. But I don’t want to ask. How can I try to get to know him enough that I know every little thing when I said that I wasn’t going to date him? He is leaving in less than three months to go back to Korea. Sungmin breaks me from my thoughts as his phone starts to ring, filling the room with something upbeat and Korean.

“Excuse me.” He says excusing himself to answer the phone. I also excuse myself to use the restroom. I need a minute to get my head on straight. Walking into the bathroom, I close the door, and lean on the counter, taking a few deep breaths. I have lost my mind. Yes, he is very attractive; but I don’t know anything about him. I should stop this. I need to stop this. I nod my head determined. No more holding hands and walks. I know it is not much, but I need to take these steps in order to not fall for him even more. Walking out of the bathroom, I hear my name in a hushed tone. I walk down the hall towards the voice and find Sungmin on the phone around the corner.

“Yes, Jennie is very pretty and a great girl. Not the kind of girl to care about what his job is but Henry is an idiot.” He says into his phone. I step back around the corner, out of sight. Henry’s job? He is speaking Korean but I am fluent and understand every word.

“The dummy told her he owned a Ramyun shop…I know! He didn’t even tell her about his piano, violin, or languages!” Then, Yugyeom grabbed my arm and quietly pulled me down the hall and into his room.

“You okay?” He asked after closing his door so that no one could eavesdrop.

“Y-yes. I’m fine.” I say looking at the ground. He sighs and pulls me into a hug.

“Don’t lie to me. You can never lie to me.” He says. I wrap my arms around his waist and burry my face into his chest.

“What is wrong with me?”

“Nothing is wrong with you. Not even a little bit.” He the back of my head, slowly calming me down.

“Then why do I care? Why am I dressing up? Why do I like him? In the end he is just going to leave.”

“You’re right. He is going to leave. But so what?” I push away from him slightly and give him a confused look.

“Yes, he is going to leave. But Henry is not the type to lead you on just to leave the country and never talk to you again. If he likes you, he will make it work.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“But…”

“What now?”

“Does he own a Ramyun shop?”

“…no. But if you be patient, he will tell you himself.” I nod slowly before he tucks a rebel hair behind my ear and pulls me in for one last hug before we both head down to the basement.

“Oh! Yugyeom! Long time no see!” Stacy says leaving Donghae and giving him a big welcome back hug; which he childishly acts like he hates.

“Yugyeom, how was your date?” Donghae asks while trying to hide his jealousy. Yugyeom shrugs, “I broke up with her.”

“WHAT?” me and Stacy shout. Henry grabs the remote and pauses the movie. “What happened?” he asks worriedly.

“She was annoying and kept texting guys while on dates with me, so I dumped her. Really not a big deal guys.”

“Wow, I’m sorry bro. You will find someone better.” Kyuhyun reassures him.

“Of course I will; I’m awesome.” Yugyeom then plops onto the couch between me and Kyuhyun, causing me to fall into Henry’s muscular arm.

“Sorry.” I say blushing and look into the popcorn.

“No need to apologize” he says flashing a smile at me and putting his arm around my shoulder. “More comfortable?” he asks.

“Yes, thank you.” Oh gosh, did I just thank him for putting his arm around me?

“Ugh, you guys are losers!” Yugyeom says to us grabbing the remote and a handful of popcorn before pressing play.

 

Kyuhyun’s POV

Yugyeom resumes the movie and Donghae decides to copy Henry by putting his arm around Stacy. That little flirt. He better not be playing her; she seems really nice and it might make things hard for Henry if he hurts her. I may be the evil Maknae, but Henry is my only Dongseang. I need to look out for him. I look at Yugyeom in the corner of my eye. Why did he want to sit where he sat? Did he want to sit close to Jennie or was he helping Henry by getting Jennie to sit closer to him? They are best friends, but has he ever thought of her as more than a friend? I think I will keep a close eye on him to be sure. I also need to scold Donghae so that he doesn’t do anything stupid. That pabo.