Four

Cousins

Jennie’s POV

We walk silently the short few blocks toward the mall. Normally, I would take my car but Stacy wouldn’t let me. Apparently, the more I walk in my dress and heels the better. Thankfully, my heels are pretty comfortable.

“What’s that?” Henry asked. I looked to where he is pointing and see the park filled with carts and tables.

“That is a crafts show. People who hand make their products and are trying to start their business will sell things at these. Do you want to go?”

“Yes! It sounds cool!”

“Let’s go then!” I said smiling at him. We both walk through the crafts show looking at all of the interesting things people were selling. There are a lot of really nice things; it is hard to believe that all of these were made by hand.

“Do you like this?” Henry asked picking up the head band I was looking at. It was black with a red flower on it.

“Yes, it is very pretty.” I answer.

“How much is this?” He asked the lady running the table.

“8 dollars” the lady answered warmly. She looked to be in her mid-twenties and probably a military wife because she had a lot of Marine inspired items on her table.

“I can pay for it.” I said taking out my wallet.

“Here is twenty, keep the change!” Henry said smiling sweetly at the lady and she thanked him. He then turned to me and placed the head band on my head. “Beautiful.”  I smiled, allowing some red to fill my cheeks.

“Thank you.” We continued walking through the tables. I was trying to look like I was paying attention to all of the stuff that people were selling, hoping that Henry didn’t notice all of the glances I am giving him. He is so handsome that I can’t seem to stop looking at him.

“Hello!” said a guy at a chain mail table. He had a lot of really cool jewelry on his table for both men and woman. “You guys are a very cute couple! Would you like to buy some couple bracelets today?” Henry and I look at each other a little shocked. “If you ask your boyfriend for one, he will probably buy you one!”

“Oh, he’s not-“

“So, you’re single?” The guy asked looking me up and down.

“Um, yes.”

“In that case, would you like to-“

“No.” Henry said cutting him off. He grabbed my hand and pulled me farther down the path, away from the guy at the chain mail table. When we were out of sight of the chain mail table, he stopped and glared in the direction we had come from.

“Thank you, for back there.” I said to Henry. He let go of my hand and left me there by myself. He looked so angry. Is he mad at me? How can he pull me away like that to just angrily leave me here by myself?

Ten minutes later he returned with a pair of jean shorts, white flip-flops, and a pink shirt in his hands.

“Here, wear this. Every guy we have passed since we left the house has checked you out. If this continues then I will end up hurting someone. Go change in those bathrooms over there.” I took the clothes from him and went to the restrooms he pointed out. He is the first guy to ever tell me to change out of this outfit. I definitely think he is not gay; I should have just believed him the first time. I quickly changed and came out to find two teenagers standing where I had left Henry.

“I was sure I saw Oppa here.” One girl said to the other. Puzzled, they both walked away looking for their Oppa.

“I think we should go back now; you are too pretty to be in public.” Henry said walking up to me. He was wearing a new hat and held a bag open for me to put my clothes into.

“Okay, do you want to go back to the Lau’s and watch a movie?”

“That sound’s nice!” He said with a big smile on his face. As we were leaving the crafts fair, he made us  take the long way. I think he is afraid we might run into another guy like the one at the chain mail table. I am flattered but isn’t this a little too much? We walked back to his house while talking about anything and everything. Talking with him was easy and made me feel carefree and happy. I feel bad for not talking to him for the past three days and also for thinking he was gay. I could have been this happy three days ago if I had just believed him when he said he wasn’t gay. When we had almost reached the Lau’s house I grabbed his wrist. Stopping him from crossing the line the hedges made that separated the Lau’s house from their neighbor’s house.

“Henry.” I said sincerely.

“Is everything okay?” He asked a little worried.

 “I am really sorry I didn’t believe you about not being gay.”

“YOU THOUGHT HE WAS GAY?!” A man said shocked. He and three of his friends walked out from behind the hedges that they were hiding behind and started roaring in laughter. I looked at Henry, feeling even guiltier that people now know that I thought he was gay. His face doesn’t look embarrassed, but scared. As if he had just seen a ghost, his face is pale.

“Are you okay?”

“Oh, yes. I’m fine. Can we postpone our movie? I have some unexpected guests.”

“Oh, don’t let us intrude! We will let you get to your movie! We wouldn’t want our gay Maknae to spend all of his time hiding in a closet!” one of the other men said.

“Hey! Don’t make fun of him! He is not gay! And even if he was, you shouldn’t be so mean!” The four men started smiling at me as if I was an animal at the zoo.

“Henry, are you going to introduce us?”

“Jennie, this is Eunhyuk, Donghae, Sungmin, and Kyuhyun.” The men each shook my hand and smiled at me. Eunhyuk was the first man to start the teasing, I really dislike him. Sungmin was the second; I dislike him too but he has this cuteness about him that makes it impossible to hate him. It annoys me.

“I’ll walk you home.” Yugyeom said walking towards us. Henry handed him the bag with my clothes in it, I said goodbye to Henry, and left with Yugyeom, glaring at the four Korean men as I left.

“Are you okay? You looked really angry.” Yugyeom asked concerned.

“I’m fine. Those guys were just really mean. They overheard me apologizing to Henry about thinking he was gay and started making fun of him.” Yugyeom smiled at me.

“Those guys are really close to Henry. They have been close for five years and have even lived together. He would make fun of them too if it were reversed.”

“Oh.” If that is the case then why did he look so scared when he saw them standing there? Nothing seems to make sense right now but that is probably because my mind is clouded from anger after meeting those guys. “If they are so close, does that mean that Henry wouldn’t date me if they didn’t like me?”

“So, you do like him?!” Yugyeom said teasing me. I elbowed him in the arm.

“Yes, but seriously, I was mean to his friends.”

“You will be fine! You were mean to them because you were protecting Henry. I’m sure that made you look good to them!”

“Really?”

“Really.” He said reassuring me. When we reached my house, I hugged him, thanked him for walking me home, and went inside. I can’t seem to get Henry’s horrified face out of my head. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

---

Henry’s POV

“Yah, why can’t we meet your little girlfriend?” Donghae asked.

“Is it because she’s not a boyfriend?” Eunhyuk asked annoyingly.

“Hey, let’s not be too mean to our Maknae. I’m sure he has a reason for not telling us he’s gay!” Kyuhyun joked. Donghae hid his body behind Kyuhyun and all four of them started laughing.

“It’s your fault!” I yelled at them.

“You are going to need to explain that one.” Sungmin said uncomfortably.

“Your flirty texts! She saw one of them and thought I was gay” I exclaimed. The four laughed like hyena’s, rolling on the ground like animals.

“Don’t worry, we will help you woe her!” Kyuhyun said as they finally picked themselves up off the ground.

“Please don’t.” I said with a stern face.

“No no, Kyuhyun is right. It is the least we can do!” Eunhyuk said with a devious grin.

“Should we go now? We can sing her a song about henry!” Donghae said getting himself excited.

“Ladies love getting sang to by celebrities!” said Sungmin getting them even more excited.

“You can’t. I kind of lied to her.”

“Kind of?” Kyuhyun asked, raising an eyebrow.

“When she asked what I do for a living…”

“What did you do?”

“I told her I own a Ramyun Shop.” The boys looked at me with blank expressions, as if they are waiting for me to tell them it was a joke.

“Did you mention that you speak 7 languages?”

“Or that you play piano on an expert level?”

“And violin?”

“And that you dance? Please tell me you at least told her that?” Eunhyuk asked with pained eyes.

“and rap?”

“and sing?”

“and compose?” How many things are they going to throw at me?

“You guys make me sound like a prodigy.” I said feeling thankful I have such good hyungs.

“Because you are! How could you hide that from her?!” Donghae exclaimed.

“Go tell her. Right now.” Sungmin demanded.

“I can’t.” I said defeated.

“And why is that?” Sungmin asked.

“Because I like her too much.” I say as Donghae facepalms. “I lied to her because I didn’t want her to like me because I’m a celebrity, but it was stupid because she is not that kind of girl. If I tell her now, I am afraid that she will hate me for lying to her.”

“The longer you wait, the angrier she will be!” Eunhyuk says.

“Don’t worry, I will tell her soon. My Aunt told me that if I don’t ask her out and tell her by the end of the month then she will tell her herself…”

“Your Aunt is so cool.” Donghae says. Aish, first he is best friends with my mom and now my aunt?

“The end of the month is in a week and a half kiddo.” Sungmin says.

“I know, I will tell her! Soon…”

“Just invite her over tonight for that movie. We want to get to know her too!” Kyuhyun exclaims.