Twenty-two

Cousins

Jennie’s POV

I wake up to the birds chirping and the sun shining though my window. I slept so peacefully after dancing the night away last night with my amazing boyfriend. I keep my eyes closed because I want to enjoy my time in bed for just a while longer. My bed seems extra soft today so I do not want to leave. A hand combs through my hair and I immediately open my eyes in shock to find that punk Yugyeom sitting next to my bed.

“Good morning, Sunshine. Did you dream of me?”

“What are you doing here?! How long have you been staring at me like a creep?! Do you really want my mom to kill you?!” I really can’t believe he is in my bedroom after my mom scared him so bad on that first day. He smiles at me as if he thinks I am being cute. Really, this boyfriend of mine is a punk.

“Your mom let me in this morning but told me not to wake you because you were tired. So, I waited.” He said before leaning down to kiss my forehead.

“My mom let you come in and wait while I slept?” I ask in disbelief.

“Of course, your mom loves me!” he grins. “But,” he says while laying down next to me, “she said she that day that she would kill me if I touched you…so don’t tell her.” His lips them met mine and my eyes closed without my permission. My lips also returned his kiss without my permission. My own body betrays me. I use my hands to lightly push him away, “go make me food.” I say and he sighs.

“In a moment like this, you only care about food? Don’t you love me at all?” he says with a pout.

“I love you more when my stomach is full! I want French toast!”

“Ah…so if your stomach is full…then I can get more love from you? Deal! I will make you food and you will continue this after you eat! He says before running out of the room.

“Not like that you ert!” I yell after him. I never imagined that my best friend could love skinship so much. I quickly take a shower while he makes me delicious food. I really love food. I have to admit that this has been a pretty good day so far! I slept well, I woke up to a beautiful face, this shower feels amazing, and that beautiful face is currently making me yummy food! After I get dressed, I walk into the kitchen to see Yugyeom place a plate f French toast onto the table! Perfect timing!

“Thank you for making me breakfast! This looks amazing!”

“You’re welcome! As I was cooking I got hungry too so I made a lot!” he says sitting down across from me.

“So…Yugyeom, now that you are about to start college, what are you going to do?”

“I am going to major in business. Why?”

“Oh, why business? Do you want to start a company?” I ask genuinely curious. I am taking slow bites as I watch him answer my questions but he is eating everything in sight like a typical young man.

“No, I am going to help you with yours.” He says as if he is talking about the weather.

“What? Mine? When did you decide this?” I ask a little shocked and he stopped eating, puts his fork down, and looks me in the eye seriously.

“Jennie, I decided this three years ago. I decided that even if I got a low position in your company, it would still be enough to see you every day. I decided this one year after we met, when I was fifteen, but this decision has been unchanging throughout the years. I have loved you from the day we met and I have no intention of ever breaking up. You are stuck with me.” He then picked up his fork and continued to eat his breakfast. He took my breath away with those words and then he just continued to eat as if that was a normal thing to say.

“Yugyeom, I am so sorry for being late with my feelings.”

“Don’t apologize, you were a woman while I was still a boy. I am a man now so it is no longer an obstacle.” We eat the rest of our food in silence. It wasn’t awkward; it’s just that he was really hungry and I was thinking about his words. After we finish eating, I take our plates into the kitchen while he goes into the living room and turns on the TV. Part of me expected him to want to kiss as soon as we were done eating but he has gone straight to the TV and after what he said to be during breakfast I really want to kiss him. Once I finish the dishes, I slowly walked into the living room and admire him sitting on the couch. He is not even doing anything and he is still attractive. My best friend is definitely not a child anymore.

“Are you going to stare at my handsome body all day or are you going to join me?” he says with a smirk, not taking his eyes off of the TV. How long has he known that I have been standing here? I walk over to him without a word and sit on his lap, resting my head into the crook of his neck, and pretend to watch whatever he is watching. I feel his body get tense and his heart beat quickens.

“Jennie, you can’t sit there. Please move.”

“Why?”

“Jennie…you know how we just said I was a man…you need to move now.” He says in a serious voice and I get up and walk towards the kitchen to get some water. He follows after me and grabs my wrist, turning me towards him before I can enter the kitchen.

“I’m sorry. I-I didn’t mean to upset you it’s just…” he nervously rubs the back of his neck. “I don’t think I can control myself.” He says embarrassed. I grab the back of his head and pull him towards me, crashing my lips into his. I know he is shocked but I don’t care. I want so badly to kiss this man right now. He responds to my kiss by pinning me against the wall, deepening our kiss. I run my hands through his hair has his tongue explores my mouth and his hands tighten around my waist. But, to my dislike, he pulls away after a few minutes.

“We need to stop.” He says breathless.

“Why?” I say while also struggling to keep my breath steady.

“Because if we continue, I will hate myself forever.” I look into his eyes and see how defeated he feels. I cup his face with my hand, hoping to comfort him even if only a little bit. “Jennie, I am going to marry you. But I am about to start college and you are about to start grad school. I can’t marry you right now and I don’t want to disrespect you or your body until then. Okay?”

“Okay. Thank you, Yugyeom.” He smiles at me and my heart flutters.

“I am going to go now. Also, later we need to figure out when you will officially meet my mother as my girlfriend.” He gives me a wink and walks out the door. Mrs. Lau…she wanted me to date Henry so badly…how will she react now that I am with Yugyeom?

 

 

 

Kai’s POV

It has only been an hour since I walked angrily out of the room with Meizhen but already I am walking back in with her hand in mine.

“Jongin! I told you to take this young lady on a date! Why did you come back here?” my mother says with a smile on her face but it is obvious that she is shocked and a little irritated.

“We have something to say.” I state matter-of-factly.

“What is it Jongin?” Meizhen’s mother says as her smile twitches slightly.

“We have decided to get married.” I say, causing both of our mothers to relax a bit.

“But I want to live here. I want a headquarters for our Chinese company built here so that I can live with Jongin as we both work for our separate companies.” Meizhen’s words are polite and kind but have an undertone of authority, silently demanding that they do as she says. She will be a good CEO. I quickly look back to our mothers with my serious face again as I realize that I was smiling at her. I hated this girl this morning…

“I think that can be done.” Meizhen’s mother says happily. She scares me a little bit.

“Well, this is an eventful day! Absolutely splendid! Meizhen, I am truly happy that you have agreed to not only be my daughter but to live with me too! I’m sorry, Mrs. Hong! It seems like I am benefiting the most from this marriage!”

“Oh no, Mrs. Kim! I am happy as well because not only has my baby girl found love but she has finally taken a real interest in my company! This is fantastic!” Mrs. Hong says and I have to seriously try to not gag at how fake she is. I will definitely save this girl from her mother.

“Please plan this wedding quickly?” I ask in a firm tone.

“Your engagement announcement will be sent out in the morning, I had them premade just in case. We can look at dresses tomorrow and everything else will be done by us and ready to go in a months’ time.” Mrs. Hong says as if we are having a normal conversation.

“No, she will be my wife in two weeks. We will proceed with those plans.” I bow and then walk out of the room with Meizhen. Did I just demand for my arranged marriage to come faster?

“Why did you demand that we be married sooner?” she asked a bit confused.

“Because your mom is scary.”

“She is scary but she won’t be mean to me since I have accepted you. She will pretend to be a good mom for the next few weeks.”

“Now, she will still pretend to be a good mom but she will be too busy to see you often. Our mothers will be very busy planning our wedding so I hope that you will relax.”

“Why do you care?”

“I am not sure.” I really don’t know. Every part of me wants to protect this girl. Even the part of me that wants to run away wants to take her with me so that she will not be trapped here alone. It is not love, not even a little bit, but I want to keep her with me. Wow, this is strange and happening so fast. I really did hate her this morning…

“I don’t know your reasoning, but thank you. I don’t want to get married, and have always hated the idea of marriage because of my mother, but I am thankful to you.  You have made my nightmare turn into my way out.”