Twelve

Cousins

Jennie’s  POV

Today is Friday. Yup. It has been two days since I have seen Yugyeom; the last time I saw him he was leaving my house with teary eyes. It was then that I decided that I won’t date him because all I ever do is hurt him. He needs to find a girl who will make him happy and not a loser like me who makes him cry. I shake my head and look at myself in the mirror.

 

I guess I am pretty, but so are a lot of other girls. Do the other guys only like me because of money? But they already have money.  I sigh, shake my head, and leave for my date with Kai. Jamin Java is not far from my house so I decide to walk and after about fifteen minutes, I see Kai sitting at a table in front of the café.  I check my watch and see that I am fifteen minutes early and wonder how long he has been sitting there. As I approach, he quickly stands and does a slight bow.

“Hi Jennie.” He says nervously.

“Hello, have you been waiting long?”

“No, I just got here!” He says with a smile. That is probably a lie. He looked deep in thought, as if he had been siting there for a while.

“Shall we sit?” I ask gesturing to the chairs.

“Ah, yes.” He quickly runs around the table and pulls my chair out for me, scooting it in as I sit. When he takes his seat, he meets my eyes and smiles. I can’t help but to smile back at him; I didn’t know there was a cute, nervous side to Kai. He always looks so cool and sophisticated.

“Um, thank you… for coming today. I was actually pretty surprised when you showed up.”

“Surprised? Why wouldn’t I come?”

“Ah…we should order!” He raises his hand and calls over the waitress. Why did he avoid my question like that?

“Yes, how may I help you today?”  The young girl says nervously. There is no denying that Kai is handsome and this girl looks like she might faint because of him.

“What would you like?” he looks at me.

“Caramel macchiato please!” I say pleasantly towards the girl. I was hoping to calm her nerves a little bit by being friendly but it had no effect.  

“Y-yes. And for you?”

“I will have the same.”

“O-okay. Two Caramel Macchiato’s coming right out.” She quickly leaves us to put in our drink order.

“How does it feel to make girls so nervous all of the time?” I ask with a smirk.

“Huh? Oh, you get used to it I guess.” He says a little embarrassed. “What about you? How does it feel to be surrounded by guys who want you? And by want I mean in a pure sense. You are surrounded by people who want real relationships with you. That is something that I do not have.”

His question threw me off; I wasn’t expecting that. “I actually was not aware of it until a few days ago, but now that I know it is weird and a little uncomfortable.”

“Ah, did Yugyeom finally confess?” He says looking at his lap.

“No, but Jaebum and Jinyoung did. It was really shocking.”

“Aish, those punks…”

“Here is your order!” A different waitress says with our drinks. I am not sure if the other waitress was too nervous to carry these drinks over or if this one demanded that she take them. She is tall and curvy with a short skirt and cleavage. I am sure she draws a lot of male attention, but Kai doesn’t seem to notice at all.

“Thank you, drink up!” He says cheerfully pushing my drink towards me. The waitress glares at me before leaving. I sip my drink and enthusiastically say how good it is. He smiles and excitedly sips his drink too. His eyes light up and a huge grin spread across his face!

“Wow! This place is awesome!”

“Definitely! We should come here more often!” I say without thinking. His mouth drops a little and his face turns red. I am an idiot.

“Really?” he asks.

“Um, yeah.” Why not? I already decided that I won’t date Yugyeom because I only ever hurt him. And dating Henry would hurt Yugyeom the most so I can’t do that either. I have no reason to not date Kai, and he is pretty awesome.

“Does that mean that I can be your to the next event?” His smile is so big, how could I ever say no?

“Sure!” I smile at his cuteness.

“Okay! This is officially a real date!” He throws way too much money on the table, grabs his drink with one hand, and then grabs my hand with his other one. I quickly grab my drink with my free hand as he pulls me from my seat.

“Where are we going?” I ask.

“You’ll see!” He is so handsome and cool but when he smiles so big you can see how childish he is.

After running for a few blocks, yes, we ran for a few blocks, he stops in front of the zoo.

“Is this okay? I have always wanted to go on a date here! But, I mean, if you don’t want to then we can go somewhere else…” He looks at me with big puppy eyes and I can’t help but to smile at him.

“The zoo is perfect.”

“Yes! Let’s go!” We walk to the booth and Kai buys both of our tickets from the kind elderly lady. His friendliness is impressive; I really didn’t expect the filthy rich flower boy to be a friendly and playful person.  When he finished, he grabbed my hand and walked with me into the park.

“What is your favorite animal?” He asked nonchalantly.

“Um, I really like the bears.” I say shyly. I always feel silly telling people my favorite animal because as a girl I am supposed to like the small cuddly animals, not the ones who could eat you alive. But hey, bears are just so cool!

“Bears? Really?! Okay, we will see them last.”

“Why last?”

“Because the best should always be saved for last!”

I laugh at him. “What is your favorite animal?”

“Koala!” he says proudly and I can’t help but to laugh at him. And not a small chuckle either, but a loud, unladylike, kind of laugh! “Hey!”

“I’m sorry! Why a koala?!” I can’t believe that I like the big scary animal and he likes the small fluffy animal! This is awesome!

“I like Koala’s because they look cute and fluffy but are actually mean and will claw your face off! So awesome!”

“…should I be afraid?” I ask with a serious face.

“Yah! I may be cute but I am NOT fluffy.”

“If you say so.”

“Well, if you want to see so badly,” he says starting to lift his shirt. I quickly grab the hem of his shirt and pull it back down, but then I realize where my hand is and quickly pull it away. He smirks at me and I look away from him to hide my embarrassment.

“Look!” I say pointing to the nearest animal to divert his attention. The animal I pointed to was an ostrich.

“Wow…you like big, fat birds?” I mentally face palmed myself. Why couldn’t the nearest animal be cooler?

“Yes, is that a problem?” I say challengingly.

“Nope, I will just have to remember that you like fluffy things. Let’s go get some of those fatty corndogs so I can start getting rid of my abs.”

“Okay, let’s go.” I grab his hand and buy us each 2 big, fatty corndogs. I eat mine deliciously with a challenging look, daring his pretty little self to eat them.  He hesitantly takes his corndogs and takes a small bite out of one of them. His eyes get big, “Waaaah this is so good!”

“Have you really never had a corndog before?”

“Nope, my mom likes me to eat healthy. And I could never have abs if I ate stuff like this!” he winks at me and then takes a huge bite of corndog that has him eating with hamster cheeks. I giggle and he raises an eyebrow at me.

After a few hours of walking around the zoo and looking at all of the different animals, we finally get to see the bears. As we walk into the bear exhibit, the first bears we see are the Koalas.

“Look!” I point excitedly. He looks to where I pointed and runs over to them like a little kid.

“Hello Koalas!”

“Be careful not to make them angry, they might claw your face off!”

“Hey Mr. Big Scary Koala, this lady here called you fat.” He says pointing at me.

I put my hand to my chest and gasp, “I would never!”

“She did! And then she made me eat a corndog to get fat too!” We both start laughing while the Koala in front of us looks uninterested as he eats his food. We continue our walk through the bear exhibit and I am fascinated by all of the different bears! The zoo has eight different kinds of bears and I love every single one of them! Kai didn’t say much after the Koalas, but instead watched me as I turned into a little girl because of the awesome bears! But looking at the bears meant our zoo date was over, so, he walked me back to my house hand in hand.

We arrive to my house and he walks me to the door.

“I had a really nice time with you today.” He says cutely.

“I had a nice time with you too. Thank you for taking me to the zoo.” I smile at him.

“Thank you for coming. Well, I will see you soon.” He leans down and kisses my cheek before turning to walk away.

“WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!” Yugyeom storms into my front yard with a finger pointed at Kai.

“Yugyeom!” I yell irritated. He is being rude. He walks up to Kai and stares at him furious with a clenched fist.

“That was not even a real date; it was only a set up that she was forced to go on! What makes you think you can kiss her?!”

“Actually, it was a real date and she is mine now. You are now relieved of your duties.” Kai says before walking around him and leaving. Yugyeom is stunned, staring at me as if I had shot him.

“Do you always date someone so easily?” He says quietly.

“Excuse me?”

“Do you ever date anyone because you like them? Or do you just date anyone who asks you?” he says a little louder.

“How could you say that to me?”

“First my cousin, and now Kai a week later? Before that dance you had never even talked to him before!”

“What is your problem?!” I yell.

“My problem?! Why are you so easy?!”

“I am NOT easy! You saw me reject Jaebum and Jinyoung two days ago!”

“You know what? You are right. Good night.” He turned and left and I slammed the door as I entered the house. How dare he say that to me?