Three

Cousins

Henry’s POV

Of all the days, why does Sophie choose today to want to be lazy? At this rate I will be late in picking up Jennie for our walk. Would it be weird to show up without the dog?

“Come on Sophie! Let’s go for a walk!” I said trying to get the dog excited for her walk. She lifted her head to look at me and then lay back down on top of the air vent.

“It is too hot outside. She doesn’t like to go outside too much when it’s really hot because of all of her fur.” Yugyeom said as he walked out of the living room. I huffed and looked up at him.

“I need her to go on a walk with me right now!” I said to him sounding a little too desperate. He raised his eyebrow at me.

“Why... and why are you so dressed up for a walk?” He asked. I didn’t dress up too nice, but I didn’t want to show up in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.

“Um, Jennie is joining us for our walk.” I answered him feeling a little embarrassed. He rolled his eyes at me.

“Dude, if Jennie likes you then she won’t care what you wear. And don’t worry, she likes you.” My eyes grew big and a smile appeared on my face.

“Really? Did she say something to you?”

“No. She wore a dress last night. She never wears dresses unless it is for church or a date.” My excitement left me.

“That is your basis for saying she likes me? In my experience, girls will sometimes randomly wear a dress because they are bored or had too much time to get ready for something; especially girls that don’t usually dress up because they might feel like doing something different that day. Don’t get me all excited for nothing.” I said glaring at Yugyeom.

“Whoa, don’t get mad at me! Even if you don’t want to believe me, she likes you! I have known that girl for a long time.” He threw his hands in the air and walked out of the room. Equally frustrated, I give up on Sophie and leave without her. I walk the short distance to Jennie’s house while trying to think of an excuse to still hang out with her.

“Okay, I am going to leave now! I don’t want to be a third wheel on your date!” I hear a voice say. I look up and see girl walking backwards away from Jennie towards her car. I didn’t expect to get here so fast.

“I told you it is not a date! We are just walking Sophie!” Jennie exclaimed.

“It counts as a date if he is cute!” the friend said before turning around, seeing me, and freezing in her place. Jennie gasped and I smiled, realizing they were talking about me.

“Hello. You must be Henry!” The friend said running up to me. When she reached me she shook my hand and introduced herself as Stacy. I greeted her and she went to her car. Before she got in she loudly whispered to Jennie “There is no dog!” and winked before getting into the car and driving away. Jennie stood on her porch looking embarrassed.

“I am so sorry about her.” She said to me. I made my way up to her front porch, making sure to take in her beauty as I walked. She is wearing a yellow skirt today with a blue shirt. Does she really like me?

“It’s okay; we all have friends who embarrass us.” I said thinking about all of the flirty texts I got from Super Junior a couple of nights before.

“Where is Sophie?” Jennie asked.

“I couldn’t get her out of the house; it’s too hot.”

“Oh.”

“I would have called to let you know but I don’t have your phone number.” She held out her hand and I handed my phone to her. My phone buzzed and Jennie’s eyes grew big.

“Who is Heechul? Does she know that you invited me on a walk?” I took my phone from her and read the text.

Hey Mochi, I hear you’ve been cheating on me?

I am going to kill him. I am going to kill them all.

“No! Heechul is a boy!” My mouth hangs open in disbelief of the situation. This looks bad.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were-“

“I’m not gay!” None of this would have happened if that lazy dog had just come on the walk with me.

“But your phone-“She pointed at my phone. I sighed.

“My friends from Korea have all been texting me flirty things to be annoying. I replied to one of them a few nights ago and then my phone started buzzing off the hook from the rest of them about not choosing them. I promise you I am not gay. And I don’t have a girlfriend.” I can’t believe I am actually trying to convince someone that I am straight.

“Oh, okay. Well, now that we have that settled, I am going to go inside now. Good bye Henry.” She said before turning around and walking inside. My heart hurts. I was going to ask her to hang out with me today, but I can see that she is not interested. I didn’t even get her number.

---

Jennie’s POV

It has been a few days since I last saw Henry. Were his friends really playing a joke on him or is he actually gay and doesn’t want to admit it. I feel stupid for getting all dressed up and flirting with him if he might be gay. I took out my laptop and searched the name that texted him. I need to know if it is a boy or girl name; I am not familiar with too many Asian names. Looking at the results, I confirm it is a guy’s name because my results consist of one very famous man. His name is Kim Heechul and he seems to be a member of a very popular, and very large, South Korean boy band. I close my laptop after confirming that he is not a girlfriend.

“Why haven’t you left the house these past few days? Did something happen with Henry?” Stacy says in my doorway. “Your mom told me to come over.” I look down at my closed laptop and Stacy takes a seat on my bed next to me.

“I think he might be gay.”

“Are you sure? He didn’t look gay to me. Tell me what happened.” I explained to her everything that happened to me that day and when I was finished she stared at me with a blank face.

“I don’t think he is gay. He might be, but I think we should take his word for it. And staying locked up in your room is not going to help you figure it out! You need to go and talk to him!” She said after a pause. I think she is right, but I would rather stay in my room. What if he really is gay and is hiding it from me?

“Okay, I’ll go.” I decide.

“Good. But you are going to wear your little black dress and heels.” My mouth drops. I have a little black dress with a red ribbon around the waist and red trim at the hem. It is not super short but looks short because of my long legs and it shows how perfect my curves are without showing any cleavage. It is a modest dress but y at the same time and guys surround me when I wear it. The attention makes me uncomfortable so I never wear it.

“Why would I wear that?”

“You want to know if he is gay, right?”

“Yes, but-“

“No but’s. You are wearing that dress. And I am going to do your makeup too.” Stacy walked to my closet, retrieved the dress from the back, and threw it at me. “Hurry and put that on, we have a lot of work to do.” Is this a good idea?

Henry’s POV

It has been three days since she has talked to me. And two days since I turned my phone off. I am mad at Heechul and the members but I don’t want to explain everything to them. It is too humiliating.

“Are you still here? What happened to Jennie?” Yugyeom asked walking into my room.

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Too bad. What happened? If you don’t tell me then I will just call Jennie and ask.” Ugh, if he calls her and tells her that I have been moping then she will think I am upset because she found out that I’m gay. I am not gay!

“Fine. The members have been sending me flirty texts since I left and when I handed Jennie my phone I got one from Heechul. She now thinks I’m gay, hasn’t talked to me for three days, and I never got her number.” I admitted. He starts laughing at me and I glare at him.

“Dude, that’s hilarious!” He said still laughing. I throw my shoe at him. “Whoa, no need for violence!”

“Don’t laugh at my pain.”

“Seriously? She found out you are gay-“

“I’m not gay!”

“Okay, I’m sorry. She thinks you are gay and stopped talking to you. This is a good thing!” I look at him as if he is crazy. “Jennie is not the type of person to stop talking to someone just because she thinks they are gay, unless… she likes you!”

“Ugh, you have the most random ideas for what proves she likes me.”

“Think about it! A girl likes a guy but she thinks said guy is gay. So, the girl avoids the guy out of either embarrassment or to stop herself from embarrassing herself.”

“Interesting theory.” Ugh, this kid really doesn’t know anything about girls. I would be better off asking Yesung for advice. The doorbell rings and Yugyeom shouts, “Come in.” That is so rude. He should go and let them in, not shout. I get up and walk towards the door to see who it is but freeze when I get to the living room. Even Athena can’t compete with the girl standing before me.

“Hey Jennie!” I turn my head to see Yugyeom leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, smirking at me.

“Hey Yugyeom. Hello Henry.”

“She likes you.” Yugyeom whispers into my ear before he left us alone.

 “H-Hi.”

“Would you like to go to the mall with me?”

“Yes.” She turns around and walks out the door toward her car and I follow her, unable to get my thoughts straight. How can one girl be so beautiful?

“Let’s not take the car today. It is so beautiful out today! Would you like to walk with me?” she says looking a little nervous. Even in her nervousness, her eyes sparkle as if she has just been given an expensive piece of jewelry and I wonder if she sees the same sparkle in my eyes when I look at her.

“Will you be okay walking in heels?” I ask concerned. Her heels are at least three inches tall. She giggles.

“These are actually much more comfortable then they look! I could walk in them all day!” She starts to walk down the sidewalk and I marvel at how beautiful she is. She then twirls around to look at me, “are you coming or will I be walking by myself?!”  I catch up to her and she flashes her perfect smile at me. I nervously put my hands in my pockets and smile back at her.