Eighteen

Cousins

Yugyeom’s POV

Life . Yup, I definitely hate it. I would never kill myself like in Jennie’s dream, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t hate my life. Wouldn’t you hate it if you were in my shoes? The girl I am in love with refuses to be with me and instead dates the most perfect, rich, handsome bachelor in the country, she has recently had a fling with my cousin, every girl I date dumps me because of my feelings for Jennie, and I can’t leave her despite her refusal to accept my love because she is also my best friend. Even if she wasn’t my best friend, I couldn’t leave her if I tried. Those few days that I avoided her were torture; way worse than death. Staying away from her is miserable but being with her only makes it harder. What would you do in my situation?

Wow, really? You have read all this way but you have no advice for me? Fine then, be that way. Jerks.

“Heeeeey, Mr. Grumpy Gills! Why don’t you turn that frown upside down?” Eunhyuk says, peeking over the back of the couch with Donghae to look at my face. Oh, did I forget to mention that tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum are here? I was trying to ignore their existence but they won’t shut up. My cousin’s stupid friends came over earlier today saying something about not wanting me to be lonely and that they wanted me to join their EunHae pairing and become YuEunHae…they are so creepy. To make things even more fun, the electric company said that the power will not be back on until tomorrow. I have spent the entire day with no electricity with these two idiots while the love of my life is off on a beach date with Mr. Prefect and his stupid awesome car. 

“You look tense, should we give you a back massage?” Donghae says in my ear. I flinch away from him, disgusted. “Ew, no! You guys are so gross!”

“But we are YuEunHae…” Donghae pouts.

“Keep me out of your creepy Bromance that crosses the Bromance boundaries,” I reply. What has my life come to? I finally hear a car pull up to the house and I debate whether I should go to the door or let him walk her to the door like he is supposed to at the end of the night. I feel like I should do the second option but if I did that then Kai would kiss her…I stand up and walk towards the door but then turn around and walk towards the couch because I know it is wrong.

“Whatcha doooin’?” Eunhyuk teases.

“Nothing.” I mumble.

“Didn’t look like nothing!” Donghae adds.

“Definitely looked like something!” Eunhyuk nods. Gosh these two are annoying. If they didn’t have so many crazy fans, I would punch them.

“I think he was trying to ruin their goodnight kiss!” Donghae smirks.

“Will you two PLEASE shut up?!”

“We have kept you company all day and this is how you repay us?!” Eunhyuk says insulted but still smiles at me creepily. I really don’t understand them. Kyuhyun would have been a better companion for today and I can’t stand that guy.

“In that case, we will leave.” Donghae pouts.

“Finally!” I shout.

The two walk to the door and open it to reveal Jennie in the doorway and Henry’s car parked in front of the house. Where is Kai?

“Hi.” Jennie says nervously. Is she like this because I kissed her this morning and then she left with another guy? She wasn’t acting like this earlier…

“Hi! You two kids have fun!” Eunhyuk and Donghae leave the house giggling and Jennie shuts and locks the door behind her.

“How was the beach?” I ask trying to make my voice sound normal; which is not easy but all of a sudden I want to cry.

“It was a lot of fun.” She answers uncomfortably. Why is she so uncomfortable around me?

“Oh, was it?”

“Yeah, it was.” She looks to the side as if something is bothering her. How can she treat me like this? Did I ruin our friendship with what I did this morning? Tears start to form in my eyes. I can’t lose her; not even as a friend.

“Look, Jennie, if what I did this morning made you uncomfortable then-“

“No.” She cut me off.  “Don’t apologize.” She takes a deep breath trying to calm her nerves. Wait, is she nervous around me?

“A-are you nervous? You should know I would never do anything to hurt you no matter how much I love you and-“

“Stop. Yugyeom, stop. I know.” She looks me straight in the eyes with a look that I don’t recognize and walks towards me until she is standing right in front of me.

“Are you okay?” I ask. I just realized that she might be hurt. Kai didn’t take her home; something must have happened. “Where is Kai? Why didn’t he take you home?” Worry fills my voice but she just shakes her head and smiles slightly. “What happened?” I ask and then next thing I know her arms circle around my neck as she pulls me into a kiss. I am shocked and before I can comprehend what is happening, she pulls away. When I look at her face, I can see she is sincere. Her eyes still closed, she smiles softly once again and whispers, “I love you, that is what happened.” She opens her eyes and looks into mine. No longer nervous, she looks happy and I see a twinkle in her eye. Was she nervous because of this? Because she didn’t know how to tell me?

“Since when?” I can’t help but ask.

“Since forever? I have always loved you. I put your wellbeing above everyone’s, even my own, since the day I met you. It just took me too long to realize the kind of love that was. You are not just a best friend, nor are you like a brother. Even if I had tried, I never once thought of you as a brother. I am sorry it took me so long.” I shake my head at her and pull her into my embrace.  “Don’t apologize. You have no idea how happy I am right now.” I answer.

“When will the lights be back on?” she mumbles into my chest.

“Really? This kind of moment and that is what you ask?” I laugh at her.

 

 

Kai’s POV

The sounds of the waves are calming as I continue to walk along the beach. My heart hurts; I have wanted to date her for so long. I watched from a distance for years as Yugyeom courted Jennie to our events. I knew better. I knew that they were meant for each other but I wanted her anyway; at least I can say that I tried, right? Is this why people say that you shouldn’t be greedy?

“Rough night?” I hear an unfamiliar voice say. I look towards the voice to find an attractive young lady with dirt on her face and a rip in the hem of her dress.

“You too?” My voice comes out monotone. I suppose she can hear my sadness because it is very evident.  She scoffs before answering, “You could say that.”

“What happened to you?” I ask.

“It’s a really long story.”  She sits on the sand and looks out to the ocean and I sit beside her. Who is this girl?

“I have time.” I answer, shrugging my shoulders. She smiles wryly at me and begins to tell me her tale.

“Well, it started a few months ago met this annoying boy band called Exo…”