Two

Cousins

Henry’s POV

“Dude, if you’re such a clean freak then you can have a go at my bedroom.” Yugyeom said to me. I have been cleaning like crazy; everything has to be perfect for Jennie tonight.

“You know, you could help me.” I replied.

“No thanks. I am not a fan of cleaning. Just make it fast because I am getting hungry!” He said to me jokingly. He is so lazy.

“You haven’t left the house yet so I know you didn’t meet a girl… which means you really are one of those prissy clean freak types. Are you sure we are related?”

“I ask myself the same thing sometimes lazy .”

“Hey now! There is no need for name calling!”

“Are you going to help me clean?”

“No”

“Lazy ” I said giving him a smirk.

 

Jennie’s POV

I woke up this morning smiling. I feel like I am floating on air but the only thing that has changed between now and yesterday in my life is meeting Henry. So, he must be the reason! I smile at the thought of seeing him again tonight! And also to the thought of trying his food! If he owns a restaurant he must be an amazing cook! I twirl in front of the mirror holding a dress option to my body!

“Where are you going that you need to get all dressed up?” I hear my best friend’s voice behind me.

“Oh, hi Stacy!” I said turning around to see her with her arms crossed and leaning on my blue door frame.

“Hello! But you didn’t answer my question.” She said raising an eyebrow at me. I am not the type to just randomly put on a dress unless I am going on a date or am going to church and yet here I am picking out a dress to wear to see a guy I just met.

“Well, I met this guy yesterday-”

“Oh my gosh! You have a date! Tell me all about him!”

“No  no no. It’s not a date. He is probably not even interested in me.”

“But you like him?”

“A little,” I said sheepishly. “Yugyeom’s cousin is staying with them for the summer and he is really cute and sweet. But I know I shouldn’t date him because he will be gone in a few months.

“If you know you shouldn’t date him then why are you getting all dressed up for him tonight? And where is he taking you?” I look down at the three dress options I had laid out on my bed.

“He is not taking me anywhere,” I said feeling embarrassed, “He invited me over to the Lau’s house for dinner. He owns a famous ramyun shop in Korea and he is cooking for them tonight.” I look up to see her smiling at me suspiciously. “What?” I asked.

“Why would he invite you to a family dinner?” She asked, her smile getting deviously bigger.

“He knows I am close with his family so he was probably just being nice.”

“Suuuure he was. I like the yellow dress!” She winked at me and held the yellow dress up to me.

“Really? I was thinking the red one?”

“No, definitely the yellow one. Yellow is bright and friendly while red is y and serious; save the red one for a real date!”

“Didn’t I already tell you that I wasn’t going to date him?”

“You did. But I don’t believe you.” I roll my eyes at her and hold the yellow dress up to myself in the mirror. This could work. But if I am not going to date him then why am I dressing up for him. He owns a restaurant so he definitely won’t stay longer…I suppose I could always go to Korea. I have always wanted to move to Korea, and I am fluent. That could work. Wait. No. I just met him yesterday and there is no way a few months is a long enough time to move across the world with someone. This cannot happen. But I will still wear this dress.

---

 

I walk up to the Lau’s door feeling nervous. Who could have imagined that I would ever feel this way while walking up to this door? I knock and Yugyeom answers.

“Ewe, what are you doing here?” He said giving me a grimace. I smile and punch him in the arm.

“Oh, you know you missed me!” I then gave him a big hug while he pretended that I had cooties and pushed me away. He is such a child!

“I know you missed me because I am so awesome. But you can’t stay tonight, we are having a family dinner.” He then looked me up and down, “But I am sure your date will go well. Call me if you need me to beat him up. I even have a cousin here to bring as backup.”

I smile. “Thanks, but I am not going on a date!”

“Oh, you’re here!” Henry said somewhere behind Yugyeom. Yugyeom seemed shocked and looked at Henry and then back at me.

“Did he invite you here?” Yugyeom asked me dumbfounded.

“Yes, I came to try his food that is so famous in Korea!”

“His food…” Yugyeom looked confused.

“Yes, my food!” Henry said now standing next to Yugyeom. “You know, because of the ramyun shop that I own that has become so famous there!” Yugyeom just stared at him. Is his food not as famous as he says it is? Even if it tastes bad, I will still eat it thankfully. He looks so handsome tonight; how could the taste of bad food hinder me when he is standing in front of me so beautifully?

“I’m going to set the table” Yugyeom said before leaving us in the doorway.

“I apologize for his rudeness, please come in!”

“His rudeness is something I have become accustomed to,” I say while entering their home. “Wow, your house is extra clean today!”

“Oh yes, Henry has been cleaning all day for tonight!” I hear Mrs. Lau say. I turn towards the sound of her voice and see her wink before walking over to me and giving me a big hug. I love this lady!

“I have missed you so much!” I say still hugging her. I then feel her stand on the tips of her toes and her breath in my ear before she whispered, “I brought you home that Asian man!” My mouth dropped and I turned bright red. She pulled away and winked at me again. Does he know of her intentions?

“Dinner is ready!” I hear Henry cheerfully say from the kitchen. Mrs. Lau escorted me to the kitchen and sat me across from Yugyeom, which is weird because this is usually where Anna's, his little sister, seat. Anna walked into the room looking a little thrown off to have her seat taken before realizing it was me. Then, she ran up to embrace me into a big hug. She is cute, fit from ballet, and 12 years old.

“Anna, go and sit by your brother.” I heard Mrs. Lau say to her before she gave her a confused look and went to sit by Yugyeom. Just then Henry put the most delicious looking bowl of soup in front of me that I have ever seen! It looks like it has vegetables and egg in it and there is Korean beef, rice, and kimchi on plates in the middle of the table as well. He gave the rest of the family their ramyun before taking his seat next to me.  Henry used chop sticks to place some Korean beef and kimchi on the top of my Ramyun.

“Eat up!” He said happily. Anna looked at us both weird as she realized why her mom made her sit by her brother.

“Thank you!” I say to Henry and take a bite. “Wow! This tastes amazing! No wonder you’re famous!”

“Yeah…that’s why he’s famous.” Anna said. I am a little confused by what she said.

“Is there another reason why his restaurant would be famous?” I ask.

“No!” Henry said alarmed, “She just thinks it is famous because I have a lot of handsome waiters!”  Anna just stared at him. There is something he is not telling me.

“Oh, okay.” I said before eating more of the soup. We all finished eating while listening to stories about their trip to South Korea. They had a lot of fun.

“I guess I should be heading home now. Thank you for dinner, Henry! It was amazing!” I said after we had finished eating.

“Can I walk you home?” He asked me.

“Oh, thank you but no. I drove here.”

“Oh, okay. Then, let me walk you to your car?”

“Sure!” I said with too much excitement. I really need more self-control with my emotions.

He opened the door and walked the short distance with me to my car in silence.

Henry’s POV

She looks beautiful. I have been trying to stop myself from staring all night. We reach her car and I know I need to say something but I am tongue tied. I want to see her again soon but I think it is too soon to ask her out on a date.

“Um, so will you… do you want to maybe walk Sophie with me tomorrow?”  I ask stupidly. I really need to figure out what I am going to say before I open my mouth.

“Sure!”

“Awesome! You don’t have to come here tomorrow, I can come to you!” She gave me the directions to her house, which is only a couple blocks from here. “Is 1pm okay?”

“1 sounds good! Goodnight!” she said before getting in her car and driving away.

“Good night.”