Fourteen

Cousins

Kai’s POV

“Hyung!” I excitedly give him the best bro hug ever, complete with a manly slap to show that I missed him. He chuckles at my actions.

“It has been too long, Kai!” We sit across from each other at a table near the door of the ramyun shop where he asked me to meet him.

“Why did you call me out here? Other than you miss me *wink* it sounded like you had something important to say on the phone.”

“Ah, yes. It is not an easy thing to say, especially because of all the people it had to be you.”  Henry suddenly gets serious with his tone and I know it is not good news.

“Hyung, what’s wrong?”

“Kai, I need you to break up with Jennie.”

“WHAT?!” I can’t believe he just said that to me! “Why should I?”

“I need you to listen to what I am telling you. She does not like you. I know it is hard, I was dating her last week and had to go through the same thing.”

“Wait, you were dating her last week?” This is too much for my brain to handle.

“Yes. But Jennie is the type of girl who will say yes to any guy who seems like a decent person, even though she has no feelings for that person.”

“That…really . And I don’t want to break up with her. What if I can get her to fall for me?”

“Dude, I dated her for like a month and nothing changed.”

“She dated you for a month?!”

“Yup. But, there is one person who she cares about but either she is too dumb to see it or she is afraid to do something about it. A few of the guys and me have created a team to get them together but we have an obstacle: you.”

“Okay, so you are telling me that Jennie likes a guy who is not me but is dating me instead of that guy because I seem like a decent person? Is this guy not a decent person?”

“This guy is the best guy ever.”

“Then, why won’t she date him?”

“It could ruin their friendship.”

“Friendsh…no. Please tell me we are not talking about Yugyeom?”

“Oh, you know my cousin?!”

“Cousin?”

“Yes! We even named our team to get them together “cousins!” Clever right?”

“No. I am going to leave now. This is too much to process all at once.” I get up from my seat and leave the ramyun shop. I hear him yell after me telling me to break up with her but I don’t want to. I definitely don’t want to give her up for that Yugyeom kid.  I am more than just a decent guy, I am Kim Jongin! If she was impressed with my status and money then this would be so much easier.

 

 

Jennie’s POV

I miss Yugyeom. Why is he being so stubborn? Why can’t he just get over me and go back to being my adorable little Yuggie? I sigh because I know he is not little anymore. I am also all alone in my big house  because my mom is on a business trip and I want him to come over and hang out with me; maybe even sleep in the guest bedroom because I am scared and I don’t like to be alone. In fact, I hate being alone. Maybe that is why I say yes to guys just because they seem like nice guys? What Yugyeom said really hurt me and has been bothering me for days because he is right. I am easy because I am not picky about who I would date. BUT, I think that I can like Kai. I can prove him wrong! Kai is a great guy! I press play and allow Running Man to take up my TV screen. I love this show, but watching it only makes me feel even lonelier. Yugyeom always watches this with me. I miss him so much right now.  Picking up my phone, I decide to call Stacy. Maybe she will keep me company.

“Hello?”

“Stacy! Hi! What are you doing right now? Do you want to come and watch Running Man with  me?”

“*sigh* Jennie, you know that I hate variety shows. I am strictly a drama kind of girl. Also, I am out of the country and you need to stop being a stubborn baby and call Yugyeom already!!! Ugh, this is so not like you two! Just make up with him so he can come and be your knight in shining armor tonight” Wow,  I forgot she went on a trip with her parents. I also haven’t told her or anyone about hearing Yugyeom’s confession so she doesn’t know why that knight in shining armor comment makes me uncomfortable.

“Yugyeom was mean to me. He needs to calm down and then come and apologize to me.”

“You remember that while you are all alone in the middle of the night. I have to go now, so call Yugyeom when I hang up.”

“Have fun on your trip” I say sadly.

“I mean it, Jennie! If you guys are not best friends again by the time I get back then you will BOTH regret it!” She then hung up and left me feeling all alone, again.  I don’t need to call Yugyeom; I will just distract myself with different things all night and then sleep all day once the sun comes out and my house is not scary! It is summer so I can do that!!! I start by turning on my music! I actually know a lot of Kpop dances because they are a great way to exercise! I start with Goodbye Baby by Miss A because those are my girls! They are also one of the few girl groups I will listen too because some of the others are just too dirty for my taste. After about an hour of dancing, I am tired and want to do something else.   It is about 12:30am and I still have a long time before the sun comes up. I decide to watch my favorite movie, Werewolf Boy, to pass some time. The movie is about 2 ½ hours long so if I watch it then it will be around 3am when it ends. I will still have a few hours to kill after but the long movie is a good time filler.

One hour later...

Okay, maybe this movie was a bad idea.  It is now storming like crazy outside and there are too many dark lighted scenes. Have I ever mentioned that I am terrified of storms? Because I am.   I pull the blanket that I brought to the living room with me closer to my chin; my face barely peeking out of it towards the tv. The thunder outside booms really loud and I scream, pulling the blanket completely over my head. The rain beats hard against the roof of my house while almost drowning out the sound of the movie. Why does the weather have to be so bad while I am home alone? The thunder sounds again with lightning following it, filling the room for half of a second before the power goes out. Now I am home alone, there is a crazy storm outside, AND I am in the dark. Tears fall from my face as I reach for my phone. I know I was going to be strong but every ounce of my stubbornness disappeared when the lights did.  I call my best friend, the one I have missed so much. It rings twice and he answers; his voice already making me feel a little better.

“Jennie, are you okay? What happened?” He sounds worried, he doesn’t hate me. I cry harder, both scared of the storm and happy that my best friend doesn’t hate me.

“Are you crying? Don’t worry, I am on my way.” He ends the call and I know that he is running through this crazy weather to save me. Sure enough, three minutes later he ran through my door, dripping wet.  I jump out from my blanket on the couch and run into his arms, burying my crying face into his chest.

“It’s okay, I am here now.” He says the back of my head.

“The lights are out and I am all alone and I missed you.” I bawled into his chest.

“The lights?” I feel his body move a little bit as we are still holding each other and I assume he is looking around at the darkness. “Will you be okay if I go to check the fuse box or do you want to come with me?”  I look up from his chest and our eyes meet. He looks genuinely worried about me. What has he been doing these past few days that I have been missing him? Has he hated me? Or has he been hurt and waiting for me to call him? He sighs and grabs my hand, pulling me along with him to the fuse box. I watch him as he fiddles with the switches without any success.

“I need to call the electric company.” He says irritated. He takes out his cell phone and reports our outage. From the sound of their conversation, a lot of other people lost their power too. He thanks the man for his time and ends the call.

“What happened?” I ask.

“The power is out for miles in every direction. A few power lines got struck by lightning. The power will be on again within the next few days but they can’t begin working on it until the storm lets out. Do you want me to stay here with you until then?”

“Does that mean that your house lost power too?”

He chuckles, “probably, but it is the middle of the night and all of the lights were off already.”

“Oh…right.” Duh Jennie.

“So, do you want me to stay?”

“Yes, please stay.” I gave him a small smile and he returned with a bigger one. The thunder boomed again and I screamed, clutching Yugyeom’s shirt and burying my face into his chest once again. He chuckles before picking me up bridal style and carrying me to my bed.

“I will stay here with you until you fall asleep, then I will go next door to the guest bedroom.” He says after tucking me in.

“No…can’t you just stay?” I ask and he stares at me with both shock and confusion written all over his face.

“S-stay?”

“Like you did before? Can’t you just nap with me? I don’t want to be alone.”

“Ah, yes. I can do that.” He says nervously crawling into my bed with me. He was so confident last time, why is he nervous this time? As soon as he is lying down next to me, I cuddle up next to him and wrap my arm around his waist; I feel his body tense as I do so. If I were in my right mind, I would be nice and tell him to go into the next room or to pull a chair up to my bed to sit next to me, but I a not in my right mind tonight and I am going to do everything that I want to do.

“Why are you so tense? Sing me to sleep.” I demand. He sighs and begins to sing Really by Song Joongki. I smile because he knows that I like him and that song. As he sings, his body relaxes and I drift off to sleep despite the storm raging outside.