Six

Cousins

Jennie’s POV

“We need to find a reason to go back over to that house. Right now.” Stacy says next to me.

“Or, we could go back to sleep for a little bit. I am sure they are sleeping too.”

“No way, I am sure Donghae has jet lag.”

“So…he is just now falling asleep. It is 2am in Korea right now.”

“Let’s go! We need to go now!”

“You know you are really creepy right? Why do you want to see him sleep?” I ask and she glares at me.

“Forget it, I will just ask Yugyeom for an excuse to come over.” She pulls out her phone and dials the familiar number. “Yugyeom!...Oh please! We both know you missed my phone calls!...Jennie won’t get out of bed to help me…I need an excuse to come over to your house…DON’T WORRY ABOUT THE WHY JUST GIVE ME A REASON!...Perfect! I’ll be right over!” She tosses the phone on my bed and grabs my brush to fix her hair.

“What reason did he give you?”

“I am going to walk Sophie for him!”

“Aish, this kid. Why does he make everyone walk his dog for him?”

“Don’t care! He gave me an excuse so I am okay with it!”

“But you will hardly be there at all” I laugh at her. “You are going to leave the house with the dog!”

“I didn’t think about that…I guess I could just not leave after I come back with Sophie.” She nods determined. I sigh and get out of my bed. She is going to need me to stop her from embarrassing herself.

“Are you coming?!” she beams.

“Yes, just let me shower first.”

---

“How does my hair look? Do my lips look pouty enough with this gloss?” Stacy asks nervously as we walk to the Lau’s door.

“You look perfect.” I say smiling at her. I knock on the door and it is opened immediately. The face I see in front of me leaves me stunned and I am unable to find words.

“Hello.” The tired man says smiling at me. It is definitely the same man. How is this possible?

“Hello!” Stacy says cheerily, catching Donghae’s attention from the rest of the guys talking around the tired man’s suitcase.

“Stacy!” Donghae says running to the door. “Hyung, this one is mine.” He says giving the man a stern look and pulling Stacy happily inside.

“Ah, then you must be Jennie. I have heard a lot about you!”

“From who?! I don’t talk to you.” Henry says appearing by his side. “Hey Jennie” he smiles.

“Yah! We need to talk about that.” The man named Heechul smacks his arm. “Why is it that I have to find out about a girl from Sungmin on the phone as I am on my way to the airport to see you?!”

“I am still mad at you.” Henry says sticking his tongue out at Heechul and pulls me inside.

“What did I do?” Heechul asks astonished. Kyuhyun snickers.

“She thought he was gay because of your text.”  Kyuhyun answers and Heechul buckles over in laughter.

“Okay, I approve of you!” He says still laughing.

“Yah!” Henry says offended. As the boys continue to bicker, I allow my thoughts to go back to my google search on Heechul last week. I am sure he is the same person, no man could be as pretty and have the same name.

“Is Yugyeom home?” I ask, interrupting their arguments.

“Um, no he went to buy a new guitar.” Henry answered.

“Oh…I am going to use the restroom. Excuse me.” I say heading towards the hallway. Kyuhyun gives me a weird look as I do so, I can’t read him at all. It is impossible to know what he is thinking. I walk passed the bathroom and head straight for Yugyeom’s laptop in his room. I have to check that this is the same man. I type “Heechul” into google and the page is filled with pictures, articles about his band, Super Junior, and sns accounts of the man in the living room.

“How do they know him?” I wonder out loud.

“Know who?” Kyuhyun says from the doorway. I jump, startled.

“How long have you been standing there?”

“The entire time. This is not the bathroom.”

“Who is that man out there?” I ask, standing from my seat.

“Why?” he asks confused.

“Please, just tell me.”

Kyuhyun rolls his eyes, “he works at Henry’s Ramyun shop with us.” Why is everybody lying to me? I don’t understand. I sigh and walk back to the living room with Kyuhyun. I look around to see Stacy and Donghae gone.

“They went to walk Sophie,” Sungmin explained, “Eunhyuk followed them like a chaperone.” The group of men chuckle at his childishness.

“Oh, I see.” I say.

“Are you okay?” Henry asks, grabbing my hand.

“Yes, I’m fine. But I need to go.” I say pulling my hand from his and running out of the house. Something about Heechul being that Heechul bothers me; even before Kyuhyun lied to me about his identity. But why would he lie to me? I continue to run until I reach my room, out of breath. I grab my laptop and google the name that would tell me more about Heechul. Super Junior. I have to know, but before I can hit the search button Yugyeom runs into my room, also out of breath. I stand up feeling as if I had been caught doing something bad.

“What are you doing here?” I ask.

“What is wrong? Why did you run out of my house like that?” he says running up to me and putting his hands on either side of my face, searching my eyes for some kind of clue. “Did he hurt you? What happened?”

“Nothing happened, I am okay.” I lied.

“Stop lying to me. I know something is wrong; just tell me so I can go and beat him into a pulp.” Yugyeom looks just as distraught as I feel. But why am I so worked up about this? It is probably nothing anyway and I looked ridiculous running out of there like there was a fire.

“Why is everyone lying to me?” I finally ask. He closes his eyes, obviously knowing something but not telling me. “Who is Heechul?” I continue. His eyes open quickly in rage.

“What did he do? Is he why you ran out of there? I’ll kill him.” He said turning to leave the room. I grab his arm and pull him back to me in a hug.

“Can’t you just tell me the truth?” Tears threaten to fall. Not even my best friend will tell me.

“It is not my truth to tell.” He says and I push him away from me.

“Then get out.” The words came out angry and I could see that they hurt him, but I am hurt too.

I stomp back to my laptop on my bed.

“Why can’t you just be patient? Did I not tell you last night to wait?” The pain can clearly be heard in his voice.

“That was before Heechul came.”

“What is the big deal about Heechul?”

“I googled him after he sent Henry that flirty text.” I answer as I wait for the Super Junior page to load. Yugyeom closes my laptop before it could finish loading.

“Yah! Why are you doing this to me?”

“I am doing this for you!” He shouts back at me.

“What is going on?” Henry asks, standing at my doorway. I am startled but I won’t back down.

“Why can’t I google ‘Super Junior’?” Henry freezes and his face turns to the same pale that it was the day his friends jumped out from behind the bush.

“H-how?” was all he could get out.

“She googled ‘Heechul’ after she saw his text.” Yugyeom explains. Now understanding, Henry opens my laptop on the bed.

“Google it.” He says. I hesitate.

“Hyung!” Yugyeom shouts. I quickly allow the page to load before Henry changes his mind or Yugyeom decides to stop me again. The first search is a wikiepedia page, but what was under that is what caught my attention. The recommended search for Wiki is ‘Cho Kyuhyun.’ I click on the link to his page and read, ‘Cho Kyu-hyun (born February 3, 1988)[1] is a South Korean singer and actor. He is a member of the South Korean boy band Super Junior, its sub-groups, Super Junior-M and Super Junior-K.R.Y., and a former member of the South Korean ballad group S.M. The Ballad. He is one of the first four Korean artists to appear on Chinese postage stamps.’ The picture is also the Kyuhyun that I have met. He is in the same band as Heechul? I click the link to the Super Junior Wiki page and skip to the members page.

“Heechul, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Donghae, Kyuhyun…all of them.” I say.

“Scroll down.” Henry instructs. I do as he says and see his name under ‘Super Junior-M.’ I click on his name, my brain feeling numb. I read through the page in silence, but after reading ‘Henry's areas of expertise lie in violin, piano, popping, drum, Latin dance, ballet, beat box, rap, song-writing, composing music, acting, guitar playing and singing'.

“Get out.” I say in barely a whisper.

“Jennie” Henry starts.

“I said get out!” My anger very evident in each word, both boys leave. Henry whispered, “I’m sorry,” before following Yugyeom home. I lay down on my bed and try to make sense of everything I just saw. The only thing I knew about this man was that he was Yugyeom’s cousin and that he was nice. How could I have been stupid enough to think that that was enough? With everything his Wiki page says he does, he would have no free time. Those things make up his life, every day of it; but he didn’t care about me enough to let me know even a small part of it. Not his languages, not his instruments, not his singing, beat boxing, or dancing…nothing. I, am nothing. I am a nothing who was foolish enough to believe that she was something in his eyes. I close my eyes and drift off to sleep; I never should have left my bed today.


Hello! Please comment and tell me what you think of my story so far! And if you like it, upvote and subscribe! Have a nice day and good luck in school!