Nineteen

Cousins

Kai’s POV

The sounds of the waves are calming as I continue to walk along the beach. My heart hurts; I have wanted to date her for so long. I watched from a distance for years as Yugyeom courted Jennie to our events. I knew better. I knew that they were meant for each other but I wanted her anyway; at least I can say that I tried, right? Is this why people say that you shouldn’t be greedy?

“Rough night?” I hear an unfamiliar voice say. I look towards the voice to find an attractive young lady with dirt on her face and a rip in the hem of her dress.

“You too?” My voice comes out monotone. I suppose she can hear my sadness because it is very evident.  She scoffs before answering, “You could say that.”

“What happened to you?” I ask.

“It’s a really long story.”  She sits on the sand and looks out to the ocean and I sit beside her. Who is this girl?

“I have time.” I answer, shrugging my shoulders. She smiles wryly at me and begins to tell me her tale.

“Well, it started a few months ago when I met this annoying boy band called Exo…”

“Ew, I hate that band.” I say thinking about how I have their song as my car song.

“Why do you sound so hesitant?” she asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

“I really don’t like them! But…their Call Me Baby song is my love song between me and my car…”

“Wow, how fanboy of you.”

“No! I am definitely not!”

“Now that I look at you, you look like you could be in their little boy band.” She smirks at me. Wow, she is so annoying!

“I would never do something so absurd! Did you approach me on purpose? Do you know who I am?”  Her ploy is definitely attention catching but this is way too insulting.

“I have no idea who you are or why you are moping on a beach, but I can assure you that I am not someone who would ever need to approach a man with a motive.” She rolls her eyes at me. How dare she?

“Ugh, I don’t believe you. Have a nice life.” I get up and walk away from the girl. How dare she fake a bad night to approach me?! Why can’t I find a normal girl who sees me for more than my money?

“ LADY MEIZHEN! WHERE ARE YOU?!” A woman frantically calls.

“MEIZHEN, STOP BEING STUBBORN AND COME OUT!” A man’s voice shouts next. Soon, there were many voices shouting.

“Excuse me! Young man!” the frantic women ran to me, “have you seen a young lady with a tear in her dress?” I roll my eyes and point to the beach. She runs towards where I pointed and soon shouts for the others in the search party to stop the search. Wow, she’s good; very elaborate. I walk to my car, ignoring their fabricated scene behind me, and begin my long drive home. I wish I hadn’t made a deal with my mom about Jennie. It doesn’t make me want to go home to her at all. Maybe I should just sleep at Kyungsoo’s house tonight? Yeah, I will do that.

 

Jennie’s POV

I wake up wrapped in my beautiful boyfriend’s arms. That’s right; we slept in the same bed again. I tried to get him to sleep in the guest bedroom but he refused! Apparently, the only way to make sure that this is not some kind of dream that he was going to wake up from is to never let go of me so that I can’t run away and disappear. My mom comes home tomorrow so he won’t be able to get away with this for too much longer. Should I make him breakfast? I try to remove myself from his arms but he only holds me tighter.

“Don’t go anywhere.” He mumbles softly into my ear.

“Do you not want to eat?”

“I would rather starve than to not have you by my side.” His breath is very hot in my ear and it makes me want to leave this bed even more.

“I can’t let you starve. I will make you breakfast.” I attempt to leave the bed again but he only pins me onto the bed and hovers over me, opening his eyes only to look into mine.

“I told you not to leave.” He says with his scruffy morning voice and captures my lips in his. My heart beats like a drum and I am unsure of what to do. A very large part of me wants to stay in this bed with him, but I know staying here would not be safe. I need to leave. I gently place my hands onto his chest and give him a light push, to which he responds by respectfully getting off of me.

“I’m sorry.” He says sitting up and looking away.

“It’s okay.” I get up and leave the room, going straight for the kitchen. Taking a deep breath to calm my body, I take out the eggs and bacon and begin to make breakfast.

“You shouldn’t risk getting grease on that outfit.” Yugyeom’s whispers in my ear with his morning voice. He turns me around, puts an apron around my neck, and then proceeds to wrap his arms around my waist to tie it behind me. His chest is almost touching mine and my heart is once again beating like crazy. Why is he doing this to me first thing in the morning? When he finishes, he steps away from me and smirks. “There, much better!” He smirks before relaxing on the couch. I take a deep breath to compose myself and continue to make breakfast. We haven’t been dating for more than twenty-four hours and he can’t seem to keep his hands off of me…was he like this with all of his previous girlfriends? The thought bothered me. I don’t like to think of Yugyeom doing any of this stuff with other girls, even if it was in the past.

“Oh, while you were sleeping the power came back on.” Yugyeom says casually from the living room.

“Really?!” I plate our breakfast and place it on the table. “If you were in bed with me then how do you know that? All of the lights are off right now.” Yugyeom blushed a little at my words but quickly covered it up with a smirk. Is that why he smirks so much? To hide his blush from me? He smirks a lot…

“The lights came on last night, so I got up and turned them off before returning to you.” He sees the food and immediately comes to sit at the table and starts eating. “This is delicious! But maybe next time you can give me breakfast in bed.” He winks at me and I blush.

“Excuse me?” My mother says walking into the room. My face pales and Yugyeom looks terrified.

“M-Mrs Cho! Welcome back! I- um…” All of the confidence Yugyeom had with me this morning has vanished.

“It’s okay, Yugyeom,” my mother laughs, “I know you meant it innocently! But when you say it like that it sounds like you are not talking about in the guest bedroom so I couldn’t help but tease you!” He laughs lightly, still looking really nervous.

“Mom, would you like some breakfast?!” I ask trying to divert her attention away from the scared Yugyeom.

“No, thank you! I already ate this morning with Mrs Kim!”

“O-oh, did you?” I stutter. Does Kai’s mother know about the breakup yet?

“Yes! She told me about how you and Kai went on a beach date! That is so cute! Kai is staying with Kyungsoo for a few days so she couldn’t give me any details but I want to hear all about it from you!”  Yugyeom shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “Are you feeling alright?” She walks over to Yugyeom and places a hand on his head to check his temperature.

“I am fine, thank you.”

“Actually mom, I broke up with Kai.”

“You what?!” She raised her voice slightly in shock and her eyes grew wide.

“I broke up with Kai after our beach date.”

“Why? Did he do something to you?”

“No, it wasn’t like that. Kai was a perfect gentleman and we had a really great day.”

“I don’t understand. If he was so great, and your date was fun, then why did you break up with him?”

“Well, I mean, technically, I think he broke up with me.”

“Answer me.” She stated getting annoyed.

“I love Yugyeom.” I admitted boldly and the entire room went silent for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, my mom took a deep breath and looked at Yugyeom. “Earlier, when I walked in…”

“I-I’m sorry.” He says with a shaky voice.

“Let me make this perfectly clear, Yugyeom. My daughter is my angel, my most prized possession, and you are to treat her as such. You are not to ever, and I mean ever, say anything even slightly erted towards her. Nor are you allowed to touch her inappropriately or allow her to be hurt in any way; physically and emotionally. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Good, if you are finished eating than you may go now.” Yugyeom immediately bows to her and hurries out the door.

“Did you have to scare him like that?” I ask, raising an eyebrow. She is certainly not acting like the woman who so badly wanted me to date Yugyeom not too long ago.

“Of course, I am your mother. I have to protect my baby girl! I also still want to know every detail of your beach date and what happened and I can’t have Yugyeom here for that!” she says in a giddy voice as she sits down and starts to eat Yugyeom’s barely touched food.

“Okay, well first I found out that Kai is an Exo fanboy…” I began to tell her the tale.