Sticky Notes (Chen)

EXO Oneshots

This one was submitted for a fanfic contest and I unexpectedly won! 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

Good morning!

Have a nice day and don't forget to smile :)

 

Says the sticky note posted on your locker. The note is always closed with a queer symbol that looks like number 8 and mirrored 'c' combined to form a heart.

 

It's been two months since you broke up with your boyfriend who cheated on you. You lost all hope and belief in love ever since. A month after you broke up, you always find a sticky note on your locker. At first, it terrified you because it feels like you're being stalked. But after a few times, you get used to it. Besides, you know that whoever writes it means no harm. His notes never threaten you; instead, they always cheer you up.

 

You take the note off of your locker and smile reading it. 

"What's that?"

A head suddenly pops over your shoulder from behind. His eyes try to read the note. 

 

"Omo!" You quickly hide the note. "Ya! You scared me to death!" You slap his arm. 

 

His unique laughter greets your ears. His eyes form crescents. He's Kim Jongdae, your best friend since forever and till forever. He's a very caring friend and a troll at his best. He always teases you about the mysterious writer though you never show him the notes. 

 

After class, you go to the university's library to find references for your research paper. After a few hours your eyes start to get heavy. You try to wake yourself but only find yourself getting sleepier every second. You finally give in to slumber.

 

After half an hour, you wake up rubbing your eyes. You stare at your laptop screen for a couple of seconds before you realize that you're still in the library. You quickly take your phone to check the time. 5.30 it says. You then tidy up your things and close your laptop. There you find a cup of caramel macchiato from your favorite cafe placed behind your laptop with a note sticking onto it. You take the the drink and the note.

 

Don't work too hard.

Here's to refresh your energy! ;D

 

The note says ended with the usual symbol. You smile from ear to ear.

 

How does he know my favorite drink?You think. 

 

His notes always brighten your day, but this time it feels a bit different. This simple note somehow makes your heart skips a beat.

 

You walk to your locker and take your bag. You walk away a few steps from it, but then you stop and turn around. You take out a sticky note and a pen.

 

Thank you for the drink! :D

 

You write. You feel like that is the right thing to do. 

 

The next day, you walk to the locker excitedly expecting to see his note as a reply to yours. You know that he always posts his note everyday, but it feels different today. You are expecting it more than anything. And there it is. His reply.

 

You're most welcome ;) 

Have a great day today!

 

You smile widely and write another reply:

 

Have a great day too!

 

You post it on your locker for him to read. Every day you exchange notes with him. The messages written on the notes are always short and simple, but every word he writes is engraved in your heart. 

 

----

You and Jongdae are hanging out in your favorite cafe when the waitress suddenly gives you a cinnamon role - your favorite! - with a sticky note attached on the plate. You ask the waitress who gives it, but he refuses to reveal the sender.

 

A sweet treat for someone sweet.

 

The note reads ended with the symbol. You giggle reading it.

 

"Ooh.. My best friend is in love!" Jongdae teases you.

 

"What? No, I'm not!"

 

"Yes you are! Look at you smiling widely over a note from someone you don't even know." He laughs and then continues, "But do you really not know who's the sender?"

 

"Nope." You shake your head.

 

"Tsk tsk." He shakes his head in disbelief.

 

"What?" You ask.

 

"I mean who else would've known your favorite drink and your favorite cake, huh?" He asks and raise his eyebrows twice.

 

"What do you me-" you suddenly stop as he keeps on wiggling his eyebrow. Your eyes widen and your jaw drops.

"Ya Kim Jongdae! Are you him?! Are you the one who always posts the notes on my locker. Ya you-"

 

"April fool's day!" He lets out his unique laughter leaving you wondering.

 

"Mwo?!" You finally ask slapping his arm after.

 

"Do you actually believe I am him?" He laughs some more. You scoff at his joke and look away from him and pout. But soon you laugh too seeing your best friend laugh non-stop.

 

"If you believe me if I say that, I guess you will believe me if I tell you I love you."

 

"Stop with the jokes already!" You both laugh.

 

----

You keep on exchanging messages. His messages are somehow slowly changing you. Those messages that always cheer you up now start to make you believe in love again. You start to fall for whoever is this person. Yes, you are falling for someone you don't even know nor have seen. 

 

You decide to write a message confessing your love for him and asking him to at least show himself. You post the note on your locker as usual and find it gone the next day indicating that he has read it. However, there are no notes from him. No reply from him. From that day, he never writes anything for you anymore. You feel that you have made a wrong decision. But you are still grateful that someone has made you believe in love again. You finally graduate from university not even knowing the person who has plastered a smile on your face. 

 

----

"Haven't you found anyone whom at least you have a crush on?" Jongdae asks you one day after picking you up from your office while you are sitting beside him staring at the dark sky and the shimmering city lights. 

 

"Nope." You answer still looking out the window. 

 

"You should look for someone or else you may die living alone," he jokes.

 

"Look who's talking.." You roll your eyes and finally take your gaze off of the window and look at you best friend who is driving you home. "You yourself haven't found any girl."

 

"How can I find a girl if my best friend keeps on asking me to pick her up!" You both laugh. "That's why you have to find someone else to pick you up."He continues as he laughs.

 

"You're right! If we continue at this rate we both might end up living alone or...," you chuckle before you continue, "I might even marry you if you ask me." You laugh.

 

"Really? Should we then?" Jongdae glances at you giving you his sweet smile and you only laugh shaking your head and you go back to staring at the city lights.

 

- Three months later -

"___(y/n), can we meet up at the park near your office? I have something to tell you!" Jongade calls.

 

"Oh my gosh! I was just about to call you!" You say excitedly almost shouting. "I have something to tell you too!" 

 

He laughs hearing how excited your are on the other end of the line. "Okay then! We'll meet up after you finish your work."

 

-----

You arrive at the park and see your best friend sitting on one of the benches at the park.

 

"Jongdae!" He stands up hearing his name called and waves his hand as you run to him and hug him afterwards. Jongdae freezes in your hug and blinks his eyes in surprise. You release your embrace and sit on the bench.

 

"You're not gonna believe what I'm gonna tell you! But first, what did you wanna tell me?"

 

"Nah...you tell me first since you're very excited." He chuckles.

 

"Okay.." You close your eyes and take a deep breath. You can hear him chuckling smiling from ear to ear seeing you. "Someone just ask me on a date!" You finally say squealing afterwards.

 

"Ne?" He asks in surprise. "Who?"

 

"Someone I've recently had a crush on." You grin from ear to ear. "Can you believe it! He's asking me on a date! My crush is asking me on a date!"

 

Jongdae's smile slowly disappears but you are too happy imagining what your date will be like, you don't notice his disappearing smile.

 

"Now what did you wanna tell me?" You turn to him.

 

"Nothing..." he sighs and forces a smile. "Tell me more about this guy."

 

"Well..," you clear your throat, "he's-"

 

"Help!" You both suddenly hear a cry.

"Help! Someone please help me!"

You both look around and spot a woman not far away screaming desperately. Jongdae quickly stands and runs to her and you follow behind.

 

"What's wrong, miss?" He asks the lady worriedly.

 

"He stole my bag!" She answers in panic as she points to a guy running with a woman's bag. 

 

Before you can even say anything, Jongdae bolts chasing the culprit.

"Ya Kim Jongdae!" You chase after him as you dial 911.

 

The man runs entering an alley only to find a dead end. Jongdae arrives soon after trapping the man between him and the wall.

 

"Sir, please return the bag!" He commands politely as he pants trying to catch his breath. The man suddenly takes out a knife trying to scare Jongdae.

 

"Whoah...please put the knife down," says Jongdae as he extend both arms to stop the man from coming near him.

"Move away!" exclaims the stealer. Jongdae obeys and steps aside slowly as the man walks slowly pointing the knife at him. 

 

The man is about to run away when Jongdae suddenly grabs the bag and they struggle. Jongdae successfully takes the bag but he suddenly feels a sharp object penetrating his flesh and a warm liquid gushes out of his body. 

 

He suddenly looses his strength and the man takes the bag away and runs. His vision starts to get blurry as he vaguely sees you running to him. He collapses to the ground as a blur light of red and blue appears. The policemen chase and catch the man.

 

You run to Jongdae's side and take his head into your hands and you try to give pressure on his wounded flesh.

"No no no, don't close your eyes!" You say in panic. "Look at me! Stay with me! Stay with me!" Tears start to roll down your cheeks. "S-S-Stay with me, Jongdae!"

 

Jongdae lifts one of his hands covered with his own blood and touches your face.

 

"I...I..."

 

"No. Don't talk!"

 

"Re...remember what I once said on April's fools day? The...the day you got a cinnamon?" You nod in reply tears flowing.

 

"I...i wasn't joking that day."

 

"Ne? What are you talking about?" Your eyes widen.

 

"Don't...don't lose hope in love." He says.

 

"Don't talk! Just stay with me." Tears can't stop escaping your eyes.

 

"I...I love you,___!" 

 

"Jongdae-ah! Ya Kim Jongdae!" You shout as he starts to close his eyes. Paramedics start to come. Your shout slowly becomes a faint sound in his ears. His visions starts to get dark. In a few seconds, everything becomes total dark to him.

 

----

The doctor comes out. No hope in his eyes. He walks to you lifelessly and you know what it means. You hang your head down and starts to sob.

"I'm sorry..." He pats your shoulder and walks away. 

 

No this can't be happening!

Your heart screams.

 

"Why do you leave me? You haven't explain anything about what you said earlier?" You cry not being able to comprehend and accept what is happening right now. 

 

Is he really the one who puts a smile on my face everyday with simple messages? Is he the one I was falling hard for? The one I hope to meet? The one who gives me hope in love?

 

----

"We found these in his pocket." A nurse approaches you when you have calm yourself down still feeling numb to everything as you sit there lifelessly. She hands you a pocket notebook and a small box. You take them and nod forcing a smile to thank her.

 

You stare at them for a while and start to open the notebook. Your eyes widen at what you see. You flip pages after pages making yourself cry again.

 

On every pages of the notebook you find your sticky notes. The one you wrote in reply for the mysterious writer. You turn to the last page and find Jongdae's handwriting.

 

Hi,____!

I've been wanting to give you this notebook. I wanted to give it to you on our graduation day, but I was too scared of what your reaction will be. I was afraid of losing you completely if you know that I was the one who had been writing those notes. I'm sorry for lying to you. I'm sorry for not replying your confession because I was to scared of losing you. But I want you to know that I love you. I have always loved you and will forever love you.

 

You cover your mouth with your hand and close your eyes in tears. You slowly open the small box. You only cry even more.

 

There's a ring with a beautiful diamond inside the box and a sticky note attached inside ended with the usual symbol that says:

 

Will you marry me?