Yesterday (Tao)

EXO Oneshots

This one's inspired by Tao's Yesterday. But this is NOT a direct translation or interpretation of the song.

And it's up to you to interpret the story literally or figuratively.



Useless.

This power I have is useless.

I can stop the time, but I can't turn it back.
I now have wings, but you're not here with me.

I would rather go back to yesterday.
I would rather go back to when you're still beside me.

I feel my chest tightens. My heart is clenched in agony.

Why?
Why did you sacrifice yourself?
Why did you give up your wings for me?

What use are these wings if I couldn't even save you from falling into darkness where I can't reach you?
Why? Why did you go?!

I drop to my knees, tears cascade down my cheeks. Everything around me freezes as I cry in pain feeling the emptiness. But you're nowhere to be seen.

It's all my fault! Yes, it is!
How come I didn't see this coming?
I was too selfish. I could only think of my dream to fly high.
I was too blinded. Too blinded by shimmering gold awaiting me behind that dream.
I took you for granted.

But you were selfless. You smiled every time I talk about my dream.
You smiled believing every word I said.
You smiled so that I could hold on to my dream.
You smiled when you knew that I could never reach my dream without you sacrificing your wings.

I failed.
Failed to see that drop of tear you shed.

I was blinded.
Blinded by that momentary joy of being able to fly.

But I was too late.
too late too realize that you  had disappeared from my side. You were falling. You were falling fast.
I stopped the time but you had disappeared.

I am now searching for your face amongst the frozen crowd. Hoping that you will suddenly show up with new wings telling me that it's okay. That you're okay. But no. You have vanished.

Why? Why did it have to end this way?
Was I wrong to dream to fly?
I only wished it because I wanted to be with you. I wanted to be with you being able to see the rest of the beautiful world below us.

But now...
Now I wish I could go back to yesterday.
I was on the ground and you would fly up in the sky.
But at least, yesterday you were with me.
I couldn't fly, but you were there with me. You were enveloped in my arms.
Yesterday...

 


I'm SO in love with Tao's "Yesterday". But the lyrics are hitting me right in the heart. So I can't help but to feel crushed every time I listen to the song. It's beautiful nontheless.