Unromantically Romantic (Kai)

EXO Oneshots

I crossed my arms and tapped my foot on the floor. My boyfriend just had to be late. Again. I fished out my phone and dialed his number.

"Yeah?" He casually asked once he picked up.

And I hated his nonchalant tone. Ugh! The nerve!

"'Yeah'? That's your greeting?" I rolled my eyes. "Ya, Kim Jongin!" I clicked my tongue in annoyance. "Where are you?"

I heard him chuckle a bit which just added a pile of annoyance in me. "You always sound cute when you're mad. I'm on the way. Traffic's heavy. I'll be there in fifteen minutes. Gotta focus on driving now. Bye."

I gawked at the screen of my phone when he just hung up on me like that. Ohoho. He did not just do that, did he? Ugh! How many times did I groan already today because of him? Ugh! Okay, add that to the count.

I bet he was caught in the traffic because he woke up late from his nap. Yeah he likes to sleep a bit too much. A bit? Who am I kidding with? He's a personification of a hibernating bear! Jongin was just so... not boyfriend material. Other people might thought of him as the perfect handsome boyfriend. I hate to break this to you, but no! He's just one handsome bear.

Why did I even date him? Oh right! Because I was stupid. And he's an evilly good-looking, deadly charming, weirdly sweet (at times), clingy bear with a stupidly attractive smile. Wait, no, he's not just any bear. He's a koala bear. And I'm the tree. And I was stupid. And he could be such a boyfriend material sometimes. And I was hopelessly stupid. Yeap, that's it. I was stupidly and hopelessly in love with this gu- koala bear. Sigh.

I sighed and turned to walk inside the mall. Since I was already at the mall, might as well do some window shopping, or actual shopping. Whee for some shopping alone time! NOT. I love shopping by myself at times, but not when my feeling is all over the place. Call me childish for sulking over my boyfriend's tardiness, but he was being all the more childish by constantly being late.

Well apparently, shopping could still help me relieved the stress. Now I had two shopping bags in my hands as I exited a store. I strolled around some more, partly forgetting Jongin. I paused in my steps when I walked past a jewelry shop. I'm not really the type of girl who loves too much jewelries or anything bling bling, but I'm still a girl nonetheless. And there was this beautiful diamond ring displayed that attracted my eyes.

I decided to enter the shop just to look around. The neatly dressed employees politely greeted me when I entered. I saw a couple and a guy as customers there. The couple was seemingly choosing a pair of rings. They were probably choosing wedding rings.

I kinda envy them, honestly. They didn't look any older than me, but they seemed to have a much more serious relationship than mine. Not that I wasn't serious with my relationship with Jongin; but knowing Jongin, I probably need to wait a little longer for him to get down on one bended knee before me. Well, we were at the age to think of marriage too, you know. So of course I wished for it. I was dead serious with him being the last guy in my life, but I wasn't really sure of his take on this matter. He told me he loves me and he said he's serious about me; however, sometimes he didn't act like he was taking this relationship seriously. But oh well. Not like I had the strength and courage to leave him anyway. Gotta go with the flow for the mean time and see where the current was going. I just hoped it wasn't flowing to a waterfall.

"This is the right choice of ring to propose." I heard the employee spoke to the other customer.

I turned my head to them and saw the employee grinning widely to the guy while showing him the ring that attracted me earlier. The guy asked for the price and I just had to eavesdrop because I wanted to know too. My jaw and heart dropped when I heard of the price.

Cheese and sprinkles! That is way too expensive!

"How may I help you, Miss?" Another employee asked, startling me.

"Oh! Uhm.. I-"
My phone rang just in time. Smiling apologetically to the employee, I looked down at my phone and saw Jongin's name and immediately picked it up.

"I've arrived. Where are you? I'm at the juice bar. Wanna order one?" He asked without any greeting again.

I sighed and bobbed my head to the employee before exiting the shop. "No thanks. And I'll come there."

"You sure you don't wanna order? But I've ordered strawberry-banana smoothie for you." I could imagine his playful smirk already as I mentally pulled my hair, groaned, rolled my eyes and whatever else you can mentally do when you're annoyed.

"Then why did you ask?" I asked back, feeling frustrated.

He chuckled. "Because you sound cute when you're annoyed."

"Do you live to annoy me, Kim Jongin?" I ask as I ascended the escalator.

"Maybe. Anyway, come here quickly, kay? Bye."

Ugh! Kim Jongin!

When I was a few feet away from the juice bar, he spotted me and stood up from his seat to approach me with that stupid grin on his face.

"So where are we going to eat?" He handed me my smoothie and I took it with a frown. "You're so cute pouting like that." He pinched my cheek and I swatted his hand away. He just laughed before draping an arm around my neck.

No, he didn't put an arm around my shoulders or waist lovingly. He just draped it around my neck like my neck was some kind of a hanger.

Sheesh. This guy is slowly getting in my nerve today!

And to think that we were going to celebrate our third anniversary. Heavy sigh. Heavier sigh for this stupid self of mine for still staying with this guy for freaking three years.

"So where to?" He asked again with his smirk.

I chose a place for us to eat and celebrate our so-called anniversary. He managed to appease me while we were eating and I found myself smiling again. After chatting about random things I was reminded of the ring earlier. Well, there's no harm in trying to send him a code right?

"Hey, you know what?" I bit my lip and played with the vegetables on the plate. Jongin just raised his brows as he continued munching his food. "I visited a jewelry shop earlier and I saw this beautiful ring-"

"Oh, right!" He suddenly snapped his fingers and I blinked in surprise. "I bought you a ring!" He cheerfully announced as he rummaged a hand inside a pocket of his jacket.

My eyes were rounded at that. He did what? Was I hearing correctly? He bought me a ring? This unromantic Jongin bought me a ring? This must be a miracle! But it's our anniversary anyway. The ring must be an anniversary gift then.

I could feel a grin slowly grew wide on my face at the thought. But you know what they say: don't place a high expectation on anything. And yes, my hopeful happy bubble was immediately popped the moment he retrieved two plastic eggs from his pocket. You know, those plastic eggs from those machines you could insert a coin into.

With a grin, he opened one egg and took out a blue rubber ring from it. He slipped it on my ring finger though I had tried to pull my hand away. "It looks cute on you," he cheekily commented. "And look," he opened the other egg and took out a black rubber ring, "I got one for me too. I know it's a different color, but now we have couple rings. We never bought ones, right?

Well would you look at that? How romantic is my boyfriend! (Note my heavy sarcasm here. I expected too much indeed.)

He actually looked genuinely proud and happy of it. His eyes turned into crescents while the corner of his lips curled up into a charming smile I so wanted to claw off. And the worst thing was he was oblivious to my frown.

"You're done eating right?" He innocently asked and called for the waiter to ask for the bill before I even answered. "Come on." He grabbed my hand after paying the bill, and dragged me out of the restaurant.

We then went to the supermarket. He said he needed to do grocery shopping for the month. I honestly didn't have any more strength to groan or be mad at him. I just silently walked beside him with a frown while he was whistling a happy tune as he put items into the cart. At least, he had the last bit of courtesy to offer holding my shopping bags. Or else, I might strangle him right then.

"Can you please open the trunk for me?" He asked once we were in the parking lot after the grocery shopping just when I was about to enter the car. I gave him a look and he smiled. "Please," he added as he opened the door to the driver's seat to start the engine.

I complied with a roll of my eyes. Geez. Why would he want me to open the trunk? WaitI paused and my eyes glinted with excitement. Did he prepare a surprise in the trunk? Perhaps balloons will pop out when I open the trunk. This must be his anniversary giftI felt giddy all of a sudden.

Empty.

The trunk was empty when I opened it. My smile fell and that bubble of hope was popped yet again. Lesson learned: never expect too much- no, never expect ANYTHING- from Kim Jongin.

"Thank you," he said as he came beside me and transferred the groceries from the trolley cart to the trunk. He seemed to belatedly notice me still standing there staring at the trunk. "You can wait inside. I can handle these." He smiled and continued with what he was doing. He noticed my silence and knitted his brows. "Are you okay?"

I felt that I had reach my limit of patience. I closed my eyes, gritting my teeth before snapping my head to him. "WHY DON'T YOU JUST PUT THE GROCERIES ON THE BACK SEAT?!" I yelled and he jumped a bit before he blinked his rounded eyes rapidly.

"Whoa! Why are you yelling?"

"YOU ARE ONE SENSELESS BEAR!" I hit his arm at every word and he winced. "UGH!" I turned around and stomped my way inside the car.

I crossed my arms and huffed a sigh once I sat inside the car. Jongin entered not long after and turned to me.

"Hey," he called for my attention, but I looked away. "I'm sorry, okay? I don't know what I did wrong, but I'm sorry."

"Just drive," I snapped.

I heard him sighed before he buckled his seatbelt and pulled the car out of the parking lot.

I knew it was probably childish of me. But I'm a girl too and I did want to feel special on our anniversary. I never asked for any presents before and he never gave me any presents other than a dinner. And I was glad for that, but couldn't he at least do something special for once? The rubber ring could even be something special if he had not done it so causally.

Do I even mean anything special to himI could feel my frown deepened.

He finally pulled over, but not in front of my house. He stopped at the river bank instead. I could see the water of the river reflecting the color of the sky that was turning darker as the sun was setting.

"Why are we here?" I asked still with biting tone.

He sighed, but I could see a small smile played on his lips. "Don't you remember this place?"

"Of course I do!" I rolled my eyes. "This was where we first met and where you confessed to me."

"And I want it to be a special place for another reason," he mumbled to himself and I raised my brows at that. "Let's go." He unbuckled his seatbelt.

"No!" I looked away, stopping him from opening his door. "I wanna go home."

"Eyy." He playfully poked my arm with a light chuckle. "Let's go sit at the bench for awhile, and then we can go home."

"No, Jongin! I don't want to!" I shrugged his hand away. "You kinda ruined my mood, you know!" I threw him a glare and looked back ahead.

He sighed for the umpteenth time. Through my peripheral view, I could see him ran a hand on his face. "Guess, I would just have to do it here," he mumbled over a whisper, but I could still hear him.

I knitted my brows and glanced at him from the corner of my eyes. He was taking a deep breath with closed eyes.

"Look," he started as he turned to me, "I really don't know what I did wrong. If you're mad at me because I was late- again - I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put down your mood on our anniversary." I slowly looked at him and lowered my head, feeling guilty myself for being so immature. "But that's alright! I'm not letting your mood hinder my already-built-up courage. I couldn't even sleep properly last night and I'm not going to prolong that any longer." He buried his hand inside a pocket of his jacket again and my eyes were widened when he retrieved a velvet box.

My heart suddenly picked its pace and I felt drained of my own soul when he opened the box to reveal a beautiful ring with one single diamond. The diamond wasn't as big as the one I saw earlier at the mall. It was small, yet beautiful nonetheless. Okay, the diamond wasn't important right now.

Is he doing what I think he's doing?

"You know how unromantic I am, so let's just cut to the chase. I have loved you and will always love you." He took a deep breath and let it out with the four words I didn't imagined to hear so soon, "Will you marry me?" He bit down his lip, but soon gave out a smile. But then his smile faltered, and a look of worry replaced it. "Hey, why are you crying?" He cup my cheek and with his thumb wiped a drop of tear I didn't even realize had escaped my eye.

I sniffed and let out a breathy chuckle. "Seriously? Proposing inside a car? No one bended knee? You're very unromantic indeed!"

He laughed and shrugged. "At least I got a real ring, right?" I slapped his arm and he winced. "Stop with the hitting already!" He chortled. "So? Will you marry me or not?" He raised a brow.

"I've stayed with your unromantic self for three years, and I've endured being a tree to a koala bear when he sleeps."

"Oh come on. Being my tree wasn't so bad, right? You like being hugged by me when I'm sleeping," he teased and I just laughed.

"So yes, I think I can endure you for a longer time."

"For a longer time? But I wasn't asking you to stay with me just for a 'longer' time." He pouted and I gave him a questioning look. "I was asking you to stay with me forever till death do us part."

I burst out laughing again. "Are we exchanging vows already now?" He shrugged at my question with a grin. "Alright. Yes, I will marry you and stay with you till death do us part, Kim Jongin. There! Happy now?"

"I should be asking you that since you were the one sulking awhile ago." He chuckled and took out the ring from the box.

I smiled looking down at his hand that was slipping the ring on my other ring finger. I lifted my gaze and was met by his beautiful brown orbs. He gazed down to my lips and leaned closer. My eyes slowly fluttered close.

I swore this guy is sometimes a troll. Nope he didn't kiss me, ladies and gentlemen.

"Want to sit outside?" He whispered instead.

Opening my eyes, I mentally groaned, but I just gawked at him as I pulled away and leaned back on the backrest. "Oh good lord! You know how to ruin the moment, don't you?" I sighed. "Alright. Did you prepare a picnic for us or something?"

He snickered and unbuckled my seatbelt. "You think?" Of course! There is no way he prepared something as romantic as a picnic by the river bank under the moon! "Come on. We haven't really celebrated our anniversary." He exited his car and yeah, I did not expect him to open the door for me, so I opened it myself.

He rounded the car and stood by the side of my door though, and he offered a hand which I took as I stepped out of the car.

"So what now?" I asked with a smirk as I stood close in front of him. "A dance under the moonlight?"

He snorted. "My, my! What an imagination you have!" He ruffled my hair and pulled my hand that he was holding.

He led me to climb the hood of the car. We sat on the hood and he leaned back on the windshield, pulling me to lean on him. He wrapped an arm around my body and I wrapped one of my own around his torso. I concluded that this was pretty nice.

"So...," I tilted my head up to look at him, "you couldn't sleep last night, huh? What, afraid I would say no to your proposal?"

"I know I still lack a lot, so yeah." He shrugged. "But I guess I worried for nothing. I'm too irresistible for you, aren't I?" He wiggled his brows and I slapped his chest.

"Irresistible my !" I glowered, but soon gave him a smile and hugged him tighter. "So were you initially planning to propose outside here on one bended knee?" I asked hopeful.

"Nope." He shook his head and I frowned. "I just wanted to watch the sun set here with you as a celebration of our anniversary, then I was going to propose at your house. But you were already too down and I was afraid my courage would falter if you were still mad at me when we arrived at your house. So yeah."

I shook my head. "Of course. What did I expect from you?" I deadpanned.

He chuckled and my head. "I can never find anyone else who can bear my antics. So, thank you." He kissed the top of my head. "And just so you know," he continued and I looked up at him again, "I bought that ring two years ago." My eyes were rounded in surprise. "My heart knew you were the one since the time you said yes to my confession. I worked hard to buy that ring for a year, but turned out working on improving myself and gaining a courage to propose took longer for me." He smiled and I could feel my chest expanded in happiness. "Not to mention the anxiety I felt when I asked for your parents' permission."

"You've asked my parents' permission?!" I asked with more widened eyes.

"Do you think I would be confident in proposing to you if I haven't?" He chuckled and I laughed along. "A still-lacking-in-so-many-things bear is going to ask for their most beautiful princess' hand in marriage. Of course I had to arm myself with their consent first."

I just smiled while staring at his eyes. Nothing could really describe what I felt inside. It was surreal! My chest felt light, my stomach was exploding with butterflies, my heart constantly did a little somersault, and my lips couldn't stop smiling.

"You know what?" I caressed his cheek. "On second thought, you're pretty romantic." I pursed my lips and nodded to my own statement. "In your own way," I added.

"I am?" He asked and I nodded before he grabbed my hand on his cheek and gave it a chaste kiss.

He then pulled me closer and landed a kiss on my forehead, making my eyes fluttered close. Then he kissed each of my eyes and the tip of my nose. He then pulled back. I slowly opened my eyes and found his already staring back at mine. No matter how annoying this guy is, those eyes never failed to make my heart skip a beat.

"I love you," he said so gently that I felt I was swept up by the wind to the highest sky! Yeah, exaggerated much! "I love you too much!" He tilted my chin up with his finger and leaned in to capture my lips.

I love you too, annoying Jongin bear!