Not a Friend (D.O)

EXO Oneshots

Kyungsoo and her have been friends since junior high. It was awkward at first because she seemed to be the only one who tried to befriend him. Kyungsoo is always more introverted. He doesn't easily open up to anyone. Whenever someone suddenly talks to him, he will stare at them with his owl eyes before answering with only one word. She, on the other hand, has a very bright personality and she loves to think positively even when she is faced with difficulty. Contrasting her personality though, she is actually a bookworm. Yet, she is the only one Kyungsoo can open up to. Maybe it was their shared interest in books, or her optimistic attitude, or her bright personality, or maybe simply her eye smile - whatever it was, she was -and still is the only one- able to crack that stone heart of his and put a smile on his face.

And in return, he is the only one she is able to show her vulnerable side to. He's the only one who had seen her cry even if it's only over a hard subject. They are able to support each other in hard times. They just seem to complete each other like pieces of puzzle that perfectly fits on each other. Their friendship continues even until now in highschool.

Everything about their friendship is perfect to Kyungsoo until one day a new guy comes to the school (or barges into their friendship as he would say it). He has handsome features, he plays basketball -and even becomes the team captain soon after-, and he's most definitely taller than Kyungsoo. Girls swoon over him even when he does nothing. Everything about him screams perfection.

Kyungsoo wouldn't care about him if it wasn't for the fact that he notices his best friend swooning over this guy too.

He comes to the conclusion that she has crush on the new guy when he finds out that she's joining the basketball cheerleading team -something she never has an interest in. He often sees her talking to him too. He knows that she loves to smile to everyone, but he feels like something has been stolen from him when he sees her smiling to the guy. Why? - he doesn't know. Is he perhaps jealous?

-----
"Kyungsoo-ya," she calls for his attention as he seems so focused in eating his ice cream. They are hanging out in an ice cream shop they love.

"Hmm?" He lifts his head momentarily diverting his attention from his ice cream.

"Kris said that he likes me!" She grins and bits her lips after saying so.

"Kris?" He raises an eyebrow not being familiar with that name.

"You know...the new guy, the basketball team captain."

"Ah!" That's the only word that comes from his mouth as he nods and goes back to eating his ice cream. Even after a few months of Kris being in the school, this is the first time Kyungsoo hears his name given that he never wanted to find out the name of the guy who has somehow stolen his best friend's attention.

"'Ah'? That's it?" She pouts. "Don't you have anything else to say?" He only raises his eyebrows at her question and his eyes become wider than they already are. She pouts even more and crosses her arms. He sighs and puts down his cup of ice cream on the table.

"Do I have to say something?"

"Well...give me your opinion."

"He's a great guy...I guess." He shrugs. He acts indifferent, but she doesn't know that her question is only causing a pang in his heart. From the very moment she brings up that name, he felt his heart boiling though he didn't really know why.

"So?" She asks trying to get him to talk more.

"So? So what?" He blinks several times looking at her with his round eyes.

"So...should I date him or not? What do you think if I date him?"

"Well...," he takes his ice cream again, "it's your life, your feeling, so you should decide it yourself. I'm only your friend." He says nonchalantly and her lower lip protrudes again.

"So you're totally okay with me dating him?"

"Yeah." He shrugs.

"Really?" She looks at his eyes searching for any signs of lie.

"Hey!" Another voice suddenly chimes in breaking the conversation. And the voice belongs to none other than Kris.

"Oh! Hi, Kris!" She turns to look at him in surprise.

"Mind if I join?" He gives her a smile that has smitten many girls. She glances at her best friend who is back to being focus with eating his ice cream. She rolls her eyes and sighs looking back at the tall guy.

"Sure!" She says with a smile. "Oh yeah, Kris! I believe you haven't met my best friend, Kyung-," She points to the owl eyed guy in front of her, but he suddenly stands up after emptying his cup of ice cream.

"I'm going first." Kyungsoo just walks passing her who is flustered.

"Y-ya! Do Kyungsoo!" She stands up calling him who walks out of the shop ignoring her. She then turns to Kris. "I'm sorry, Kris! I'll go first." With that she runs out of the shop to catch her best friend.

"Ya!" She momentarily stops and shouts trying to make him stop in his track, but he keeps on walking. Before she can continue on running, she trips and her knees kiss the road.

"Ack!" Her scream of shock and pain finally stop him and make him turn around. His eyes are widen and he immediately runs to her when he sees her trying to get up.

"Are you okay? Can you stand up?" He asks worriedly resting his hands on her shoulders as she tries to stand up but to no avail. She then shakes her head.

He puts her arm around his neck and his arm snakes around her waist trying to support her to stand up. He brings her to a nearby bench and sits her down.

"I think you sprain your ankle." He kneels in front of her examining her ankle.

"What was that about back there?! How could you just leave me like that?!" She rants ignoring his concern.

Because it hurts to see you with him. Because...I'm jealous. Because I just realize that I love you though you like him.

"Because you said you like him, right? So I was just giving you both a time to bond with each other." He answers before taking his attention back to her ankle.

"Who says I like him?!" She pouts. Kyungsoo freezes for a moment and turns to look at her with his usual blank owl stare.

"Didn't you say you want to date him?"

"I said he likes me. I didn't say I like him. And I asked what you will think if I date him. I didn't say I will date him!" She crosses her arm. And suddenly a surge of relief washes over him. His heart-shaped lips slightly curl upward.

"Didn't you join the cheerleading team for him?"

"I did that for you, babo!" tears start welling in her eyes. Her statement earns her his widened eyes once more.

"Me? Why would you do that for me?" He knits his eyebrows.

"Because I want to show you that I'm not just some nerdy bookworm. I want to show you that I can look cool and y too." She sniffs as a tear rolls down her cheek. He sighs and chuckles seeing her pouting like a little girl.

"Why are you crying?" He looks up to her.

"Because you're too stupid to realize that I love you." She hangs her down in embarrassment and he lets out another chuckle. He then stands up with his back facing her and squats.

"Come on! I'll carry you to the bus stop." She lifts up her head in surprise.

"Ya! Are you going to leave my words hanging? I just confess to you, babo!"

He sighs and stands up again turning around to face her. He bends putting both palms of his hands on his knees, so that their eyes are now on the same level.

"Fine! I love you too!" She blinks a few times. "And I love you just the way you are. I love that bookworm you. I love everything about you. You don't have to change for me. If you want to change, change because you have to and love to. But know that I have always loved you just the way you are." He smiles and leans closer pressing his heart shaped lips on hers, giving a peck.
"I love you, _____(y/n)!"