Memories (Chanyeol)

EXO Oneshots

This one's inspired by Chanyeol's real break-up story. I am thinking of making this one-shot a short fanfic later.



People say that bad memories cause the most pain, but actually it's the good ones that drive you insane.
-------
Chanyeol folded the last paper crane - the 100th one. He remembered the time he folded the first paper crane and how happy he was thinking about the future days he would spend with you. He remembered the words he wrote on the first paper before folding it.

'You look cute when you blushed and said yes today. Thank you for accepting my heart. I'm looking forward to creating lovely memories with you. I love you.' He wrote.

Since that day, he always brought origami papers where ever he went. He would fold them secretly in between lessons - or during ones. He would fold them after having dinner with his family, or when he's taking a rest after doing homework, or even on the bus on his way home from school. His best friends always for doing it because it is tiresome and cheesy they said. But Chanyeol didn't care about what they said. He himself never thought of doing something so cringe-worthy as this. Yet, he was determined to show you how much he loved you through those paper cranes. He wanted to show you that just like the crane which is known to be loyal, he too would be loyal to you 100 days and even more. Yes, more! It might be too early for a middle school student to be thinking of marriage, but Chanyeol had always thought of you as the one whom he would walk down the aisle with.

He always believed that you are the one until the time when he folded the 70th paper crane. He was just folding it happily as he usually was when his phone vibrated indicating a text message. He saw your name flashed on the screen and immediately grinned. But the smile plastered on his face soon faded away when he read your text:

Chanyeol...
I'm sorry. I couldn't continue this relationship with you. I think it's best for us to break up now. I'm sorry.

Reading the message, he felt his heart stopped beating for a moment. He quickly stood up as he dialed your phone number. He paced around the room waiting for you to pick up the phone, but you didn't. He dialed your number again and again. Of course a text message wasn't enough, but you never answered the call and even turned off your phone. You avoided him at school the next day. He needed an explanation at that time. No. Actually, he still needed one now as he put the 100th crane into a jar that was already filled with the other 99 cranes of different colors.

Yes. After that 70th crane, he still continued on folding more cranes that were supposed to be given to you in celebration of your 100th day being in a relationship with him. He was going to stop at that 70th crane. He did actually stop for a few days as he tried to approach you before finally giving up on doing so. But then, he realized something: he couldn't stop loving you. He unfolded the 70th crane and wrote a note on it before he folded it again.

'Today our relationship ends, but I can't stop myself from loving you.'

With that, he continued to fold the cranes until he reached the 100th.

Chanyeol let out a deep sigh as he closed the lid of the jar. His lips curled upward a bit in contentment causing his dimple to be shown. He walked to his piano and put the jar on top of it. He took a few steps back and let out another sigh. His eyes are still glued on the jar of colorful hundred paper cranes and he immediately felt a pang in his heart which drove him crazy. He knew, though, that it wasn't caused by the memory of you breaking up with him (although it was beyond painful for him to feel that hole forming in his heart). Rather, it was the good memories of you and him that drove him insane because those memories made him long for you to the point where he wished he just remembered the bad one. Yet, no matter how much he long for you, now all those moments he shared with you are only memories that are stored in the jar of hundred paper cranes with the 100th crane having words written on it:

'I still love you.'