TWELVE - Don't Go (Kai)

EXO Oneshots

I include some of the song's lyrics.
Disclaimer: I do not own the song or the original lyrics used.


TWELVE

A pair of wings rapidly flap carrying the tiny body to hover in the air.

Hey, you. Guess what? The butterfly is visiting me again today.

How do I know it's the same one as yesterday or the day before that or the other days before? It's simple.

Because this one always lands on my left shoulder. Just like you who liked to prop your chin on my left shoulder while your arms encircled me from behind and your lips lightly pressed against my cheeks.

Its movement reminds me of yours. How your body bends as your hands swayed along with the movement of your feet. I always loved how your leg extended with a pointed, turned-out foot, and the toes made contact with the floor.

Every move you made always mesmerized me. And before I knew it, I was captivated and my one soul was taken by you.

I was drunk. Completely drunk at your movements.

They say a flap of this little butterfly's wings can cause a tornado somewhere else. Maybe it's true. I remember how a small wave of your hand made a whirlwind strike in my heart.

Just like how I now can't take my eyes off of this butterfly fluttering above me, neither was I able to do so towards you every time your eyes disappeared into crescents upon seeing me.

I wonder if you have transformed into this butterfly.

Can this little friend guide me to where you are?

I can be right beside you in a heartbeat. But I don't know where you are.

Why did you leave?
Why did you leave without saying a goodbye?

A steep climb? A roll down the valley? A dive into the deep sea?

I could zap out of them all in a blink of an eye, but I would rather go through them days - or even years - beside you.

Even if we wander in unfamiliar places, even if we get lost, I would always be right behind you, protecting you.

Yet, you left.

You left me only with a piece of paper. The paper on which black letters were written and read everyday by me. The paper in my hand on which the butterfly now lands.

I wish I can just put this butterfly inside a jar so that it won't disappear from my sight.

I wish I can just put this butterfly inside a jar to salve this ache of longing in my heart.

But I'm scared. Scared that if I open the jar to let it fly freely for a while, it will fly away and never come back. Just like you did.

Maybe, it's better for me to let this tight feeling clench my heart for missing you. Maybe it's better to let the ache stay, so that I can relish the feeling of being healed by the appearance of this little friend. Maybe it's better for me to keep on missing you.

Because that's what keeps me sane.
Because that reminds me of the love we once shared.
Because that reminds me that I still love you.

The butterfly stays on the paper as if understanding your feelings reflected on the words. It then lightly flaps its wings twice as if understanding my feeling.

Hey, lil' butterfly. Don't go. Please.