Questions

Red Threads

Seungyoon sighed, knowing what he was doing was inappropriate, but he had no choice, he couldn't take Sera to a hotel and just leave her there alone. He had no close female friend apart from his colleagues, but they had already gone. He wanted to ask his neighbours, but there were men living there too, and he would very much rather trust himself than those guys. He decided to ask Sera first, even though he pretty much doesn't see a point in it when she's so drunk.

"Sera-sshi, do you mind if I take you to my house? You have no place to go. You can sleep in my room, I'll sleep in the living room." Seungyoon nudged Sera lightly. "I don't want to go to dad's house..." Sera muttered, then burped.

Seungyoon was sighing a lot that day.

After enlisting his neighbour's help to get Sera to change into more comfortable clothes, Seungyoon went to check on Sera. "Sera-sshi," Seungyoon gently called. "Are you feeling better?" Sera's eyes fluttered open. "Better." She uttered a short reply. "Sorry, I had no choice but to bring you here, but I'll sleep outside, in the living room." Seungyoon said. "Don't be sorry. Thank you, oppa." Sera answered. Seungyoon decided he shouldn't ask about the red threads, as Sera looked exhausted. "Be sure to sleep on your side," Seungyoon instructed. "Here's a bucket for you in case you need to vomit. Goodnight." Seungyoon said as he turned to leave the room.

"Do you know why I didn't want to go to my dad's house?"

"You didn't want to see him and his wife."

"Do you know why I didn't want to see them?"

"Why?"

"Because I'm a bad person."

Seungyoon froze momentarily, mid-step.

"My parents divorced a few years back. I was so upset. I wanted them to fulfill my needs of a happy family, even though I knew they weren't soulmates."

Seungyoon paced back to the bed. "Their red threads weren't connected. I knew and I didn't care. They were never happy and I didn't care. I was so selfish. I still am now."

Seungyoon squatted on the floor next to his bed, so he could still see her.

"I hated dad when he said he would remarry. I hated him. I hated his wife. But they were meant for each other. Their red threads were connected. I didn't care. I called him selfish. I didn't realise I was the one who was selfish." Tears formed clear tracks on Sera's face.

"That's why I didn't want to go back. Because I don't want to remember how much I hate myself." Sera wiped her tears, staining her cheeks a dusty black because of her smudged mascara. Seungyoon gently patted the back of her hand, as if soothing a startled animal.

"My parents weren't soulmates too. But they defied the fates and stayed together. That caused their ultimate deaths."

Sera stopped her loud sniffling, shocked, looking at Seungyoon curiously. "They were never happy. They fought, and I bore the brunt. Their last fight caused a car accident, and they passed away." It was as if Seungyoon was reliving the past, the images dealing blows to his head as they passed by his eyes. "If only they knew, if only they chose to go their separate ways, then they could both still be alive. If they found their soulmates, they could be happy now." Seungyoon blinked back his tears. "Your parents' divorce could be for the better." Seungyoon lightly wiped her cheeks. "Don't hate yourself, alright? All that's in the past." Seungyoon found Sera already asleep. Whatever, it's my fault for trying to talk sense into drunk people.

Seungyoon looked wistfully out of the window, at the night sky. There were no stars in Seoul's polluted night sky, but Seungyoon brooded all the same. Parents divorced, ability to see red threads. Could it be...?

Sera sat down at the dining table, inhaling the breakfast Seungyoon made—gamjatang, which was good for hangovers. Seungyoon marvelled at how surprisingly calm she was when he had to explain to her all over again how she ended up in his house and wearing different clothes. He cast a sidelong glance at her happily spooning rice into and took that to mean she forgot about all that happened during her drunken episode.

But he had to know why.

"Sera-sshi." Seungyoon sat down at the dining table, opposite Sera. He cut straight to the chase. "The red thread of fate on my pinky finger." Seungyoon held up his right hand. "You can see it, can't you? And it's connected to yours." Sera dropped her spoon in shock. "How did you know?" She realised she must have spilled the beans while drunk. She silently cursed herself for trying to act calm and for hoping that nothing happened.

But more than that, she was fazed that Seungyoon believed her. "Can you too? Can you see the red threads?" Sera asked, frantic. Seungyoon nodded to confirm. "Have you ever met anyone like us?" This sounded far fetched even as it was coming from his mouth. They could possibly be two of the hundreds or even thousands of people who are able to see the red threads. Yet, he needed to make sure.

"I met two others at an online community years ago." Sera blurted. "What was your ID?" Seungyoon asked. "Buzzbuzz12." Sera answered. Seungyoon reeled in shock. Why them?

"Do you remember one of them? KSYrocks94!" Seungyoon got excited. "That's me!"

12269978_1680709108883068_1401860368_n.j