Hurt

Red Threads

"I have no words for this." Minho stared in shock and disbelief and Seungyoon and Sera seated in front of him in the cosy little cafe. He took a sip of his iced americano, hoping that the iced drink could somewhat calm him down.

"We too, are shocked." Seungyoon and Sera made it a point to hold hands, as if to signify their inseparable bond.

Minho stared at Sera's hand, still unable to believe that she has two red threads of fate, one of which is linked to him. "I've never seen someone with two red threads. I've seen two men linked, two women linked, couples with huge s linked. But I've never seen someone with two links, I wonder what that means."

"I mean, it obviously means that we're soulmates, so I'm guessing that Sera-sshi here has... two?" Minho continued when he realised that Seungyoon and Sera kept quiet. "It's cool, I mean, you don't see that everyday, haha!" His attempt at humour failed. He took another sip of his iced americano. "Relax, you guys." Minho addressed the two who were merely a few years younger than him. "I know what you're thinking. You guys met before me, I'm not going to demand that you guys break up."

"I'm sorry, you must have been searching for your soulmate for a long time." Sera mumbled, keeping her eyes glued to her hot chocolate.

"Indeed I have. My comic is basically a depiction of my everyday struggles. Dramatised, of course." Minho sighed. "But it's okay, many people don't end up with their soulmates too."

"It's different. It's different for us because we can actually see it. We know it. We were given this vision for a reason." Seungyoon ruffled his hair. "But I don't know the reason."

"I remember us saying that our parents' relationships had cracks. Maybe it's that?" Minho suggested. "But why us, out of thousands of children who come from dysfunctional families?"

Seungyoon shifted to sit upright. "Anyway, both you and I are supposedly Sera's soulmates. She met me first, but her red thread connected to yours when you met her. I think that might mean something..."

Sera couldn't hide her betrayed expression. Was Seungyoon doubting their relationship? Mino noticed that Sera didn't seem to know beforehand that Seungyoon would say that.

"What if... what if she should be with you instead?" Seungyoon continued. It pained him to say that, but for everyone's sake, he had to say it.

Sera felt as if something in her sank as she heard Seungyoon said that. She withheld whatever she wanted to do, as she didn't want to burst in front of Minho, whom she just got to know.


The "bye" from Seungyoon to Minho was like a cue for Sera, who stormed out of the cafe. Seungyoon and Minho looked at each other knowingly and sighed as they expected. Maybe because they're both men, but they seemed to understand each other well, even though they're technically not soulmates. Seungyoon tore out of the cafe, chasing after Sera.

Sera gripped her purse tightly, as if she was gripping onto her emotions, steeling herself not to cry. "Sera!" The moment she heard Seungyoon's voice, the tears tumbled down. Endlessly.

Angry as she was, she stopped in her tracks. Because he called her, and that was all that mattered.

"Sera." Seungyoon's voice softened. "I'm sorry. Please understand." He held her close, but she was angry enough to struggle against it.

"Why are you doubting us? What makes you think him and I together would be better than me and you?" Sera's tears streamed. Seungyoon tenderly wiped her tears with his hands. Sera visibly relaxed. "We've been through so much, did all of that mean nothing to you?"

"They do. They mean so much to me. You mean so much to me." Seungyoon's voice trembled. "I'm just afraid. What if I'm really not right for you? I don't want anything bad to happen again." Seungyoon recalled the snide remarks his parents exchanged. "I'd die myself if anything happened to you because of this. I'd be heart-broken, but if you and Minho are the rightful pair, I would rather that happen."

"There is nothing for me to consider. I won't go to him. He said he's not going to demand that we break up! I know you're afraid, but what can that change? How do you know what's the rightful pair? We won't know anyway. Life goes on." Sera protested.

Seungyoon could not shake away the anxiety creeping up on him. He loved Sera, he was sure of it. He would hate seeing her with Minho, but if she would be happy, he would do it. "I'm not asking you to go to Minho. I don't want that to happen, but please, please, consider, Sera. For all of us, please understand."

"You don't understand!" Sera exclaimed, vexed. "Why are you trying to push me away?"

"I'm not, Sera please listen." Seungyoon begged, cupping her face in his hands. She pushed them away and turned around, hurt. As she walked away, Seungyoon stood there solemnly, reliving the past. Of course he didn't want to hurt her. Who'd want to hurt the person they love the most? One, two, three, four... he counted her steps as she inched away.

Maybe it was just him, but it was as if the red thread between them was getting thinner and thinner. It was as if he could see cracks forming between them.

 

 

12145C484E8A06A216291D

Smile more baby :-)